Potential New Desktop

timada

I have just drawn up the following specification from the website for a home PC and would appreciate if anyone could cast a professional eye over the choices I have made as I really only have a very basic knowledge of the technology concerned and any input (in layman's terms) would be very much appreciated.

My criteria is to have a machine that ideally will not be too out of date very quickly, cater for the kids gaming online (we have a fast internet service) cater for loads of photos (including photo editing) and surfing the web. I also have an ipad and want to ensure that iTunes will be ok - heard some reports of it working with Windows 8?? I usually just do backups on a remote drive so have not included for a second drive here - unless I am missing something crucial about having a second drive?

COOLERMASTER ELITE 311 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-3570 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P8H61-MX USB3/SI: uATX, USB 3.0, SATA 3.0Gb/s
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 650 - DVI, mHDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
(7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 10x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler (£19)
Sound Card ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 8 Professional 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£109)
Office Software Microsoft® Office Home & Student 2013 (1 License Key Card) (£96)
Anti-Virus NORTON ANTI-VIRUS 2013 - 1 Year Licence for 1 PC (£9) *SPECIAL*
Keyboard & Mouse LOGITECH® K200 USB MEDIA KEYBOARD (£10)
Mouse CM Storm Xornet Gaming Mouse (£19)

As I mentioned all advise appreciated (feeling out of my depth here.....)
Many thanks

timada

No not really, the £700 ish seems to be about right, would consider more if there was something that would make a major difference. Likewise I may well be over specking something for my needs.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Your build looks pretty good to me for the intended uses,do you really need the extra features of windows Professional though.

timada

Good point about professional, I went for it only because I hate wanting to do something and find that the software says you need the next version up to be able to do this, but I have just looked up the differences and I think you are right, as what it offers appears to be far beyond my experience......

Thank you