Power supply

dinku

Just a quick question.

Do you keep your power supply connected all the times? If so would it not harm the battery?

bigben

Master Poster
On a laptop?
Most laptops have lithium ion batteries, which in theory don't matter if they are always on charge or don't get a full charge cycle.
I personally don't trust that so if I know I'm going to keep it plugged in for a long time then I take the battery out.

two_socks

I'm not sure but a friend of mine said the battery can filter the AC signal from spurge transient.
Ok, it's not a surge arrest but maybe small peaks can be stopped.
What do you think?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'm not sure but a friend of mine said the battery can filter the AC signal from spurge transient.
Ok, it's not a surge arrest but maybe small peaks can be stopped.
What do you think?

That's an old wives tale I think, your power supply (the black box in the cable) will filter out any mains spikes. To get maximum life from your battery you should fully charge it and then leave it disconnected when not in use. So if you keep the laptop plugged in all the time you might try fully charging the battery and then take it out. Plug it back in one a month say for an overnight top-up charge.

Frankly though, laptop batteries never last that long and the hassle of taking it out and putting it back in is probably not worth it. Just accept the battery will die long before the rest of the laptop does.

:)