Powerline Adapters - Question

gazskeltz

Hi all,

My friends an I are thinking of purchasing a pair of powerline adapters to pass the internet from my friends house to his 'studio' at the end of his garden.

Although I understand that the signal will be transmitted along the mains and we will be able to use it at the other ensd (he's all mained up at the studio) he's asked me a question before we chip in for the units.

He says that his studio is on a different 'Spur' than the main house (whatever that means - I'm no electrician!).

Will the signal still pass through?

Any advice gratefully received.

Regards

Gaz

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
So long as the circuits are on the same consumer unit they should work.
In some cases homeplugs will even work from different consumer units (fuse boxes)
so long as they are on the the same phase,
but this hardly applies to the normal user.
My brother uses them,his router is downstairs and computer upstairs,I know the homeplugs are plugged into different circuits as I wired his house.
Here is some useful information regarding homeplugs, dispelling some myths commonly believed,like they wont work unless on the same circuit or from extensions.
http://www.homeplugs.co.uk/acatalog/faqs.html

gazskeltz

Hi Vanthus

Thanks for the quick reply - I now know!

I had a look at the link you gave me and was concerned about the following:

Can I use HomePlugs between a house and an out-building/office ?
In most cases the answer is no - this is because the homeplug signal deteriorates through consumer/fuse boxes and in the case above multiple boxes are in use. We have had some customers where it has worked - it maybe worth calling us to discuss your particular needs.

Hmmm. That's our situation exactly.

I think he has another fuse box at the other end. I'll have to check.

Is there anything we could do to test the system to see if it would work in our case or is it a 'Suck it and see' situation?

Thanks again

Regards

Gaz

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I think it's a try and see situation in your friends case,I would try buying from somewhere you know you can return the goods if they don't do the job.

steaky360

I'd recommend getting them from amazon in your case because they have the best refund policy I've experienced.