Premier League Gone Mad

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Title race is most open it's been in years - a whole 3 clubs might win it instead of the usual 2!

Sheffield United and Burnley are probably down, but it's interesting to see as many as 5 teams battling it out not to finish 18th. Everton's second points deduction is going to be interesting once we know how big it is.

If 6 is the baseline, as seems to now be the established starting point, then we should get 2 points off for assisting this hearing (same as Forest did) and potentially another 2 points off considering we've already been punished for 2 of the 3 seasons currently being looked at. Another 2 point deduction is certainly survivable in this season, especially after we've got 4 points in our last 3 games!

i think luton are saying you keep deducting the points off thanks for that :LOL:

homer wouldn't be surprised if notts forrest go down considering they have been woeful with the money spent, can see man city winning the league with the depth but would be nice for arsenal to win for a change.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
i think luton are saying you keep deducting the points off thanks for that :LOL:

homer wouldn't be surprised if notts forrest go down considering they have been woeful with the money spent, can see man city winning the league with the depth but would be nice for arsenal to win for a change.
Yeah, I suspect City will end up winning the league again - further damaging the Premier League if City keep winning the title after they've been charged but not yet punished!

I also agree that it seems like Forest are most likely to be 18th.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Yeah, I suspect City will end up winning the league again - further damaging the Premier League if City keep winning the title after they've been charged but not yet punished!

I also agree that it seems like Forest are most likely to be 18th.

whats happening with man city and there charges?

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
whats happening with man city and there charges?
Most recent anybody's heard was a little while back when the Premier League CEO said that a date for their hearing had been set, but he wasn't going to say when it is publicly. That was around the time he called Everton and Forest small clubs which you may remember - I think that was late January or thereabouts.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Most recent anybody's heard was a little while back when the Premier League CEO said that a date for their hearing had been set, but he wasn't going to say when it is publicly. That was around the time he called Everton and Forest small clubs which you may remember - I think that was late January or thereabouts.

it does read as if translation from the prem league is that man city maybe guilty but we don't want decide that as it looks bad

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Don't forget that City were found guilty previously, and handed a 2 year ban from European games, but CAS decided that it should be overturned because some offences were 1) time-barred, and 2) some didn't have enough evidence. Both had something to do with Man City dragging their feet in response to the investigation though.

That's why the FA are trying to get so many offences through now, so that Man City can't argue about them being out of time...although they're still not being very forthcoming with the evidence that the FA has been asking for (unlike Everton and Forest).

Draw your own conclusions...but if they get anything other than expulsion from the Premier League, then they will have gotten away with it in my opinion.

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just the 2 more for Everton, so looks like they'll be safe for another year...assuming the FA doesn't decide to double-dip on 2023 losses too!

7 games left, 3 against 'big' teams, 3 against 'little' teams and the other against Brentford. Can't see them getting more than 9 points out of the remaining 15...probably against the 3 little teams that are all currently below them in the table (Nottingham Forest, Luton, Sheffield United). Everton really don't want to be relying on a win in their last match of the season against Arsenal to avoid relegation.

2024-04-08_14-46-10.jpeg

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Just the 2 more for Everton, so looks like they'll be safe for another year...assuming the FA doesn't decide to double-dip on 2023 losses too!

7 games left, 3 against 'big' teams, 3 against 'little' teams and the other against Brentford. Can't see them getting more than 9 points out of the remaining 15...probably against the 3 little teams that are all currently below them in the table (Nottingham Forest, Luton, Sheffield United). Everton really don't want to be relying on a win in their last match of the season against Arsenal to avoid relegation.

View attachment 40711
I stand by what I said in January - 35 or 36 points is likely enough to stay up this season. With this latest deduction, we're on 27 points and so 9 away from safety, which would fit with your prediction of 9 more points for us.

On an earlier page in this thread, I estimated we'd get 15 or 16 points from our last 9 games (that was before the derby was re-arranged and having played the first three of that run of games (Bournemouth, Newcastle and Burnley) and got 4 points, we're well short of what I was guessing back in November, but as long as we continue to get more than a point a game for the remainder, we'll be sound!

As for that last game of the season, I do want us to be safe by then, but for the sheer comedy value of watching the respective bitter parts of the fanbases, relegation and the title going down to the last game of the season would be hilarious. I know a few Reds who would rather see us go down than Liverpool win the league and I know a few Blues who hypothetically would rather see us go down than a Liverpool title win. Thinking about that purely hypothetically is one thing, but watching it actually play out is another and seeing the internal struggles among Bitter Reds and Blues would be something else!!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm not a bitter Reds fan, and want Everton to win everything where they're not playing Liverpool 👍

A 1-2 in the Premiership would be my dream (Liverpool #1 of course) ;)

My uncle hates Liverpool and would rather see Man Utd win the title (even if it means Everton losing to them) than see Liverpool win :(

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm not a bitter Reds fan, and want Everton to win everything where they're not playing Liverpool 👍

A 1-2 in the Premiership would be my dream (Liverpool #1 of course) ;)

My uncle hates Liverpool and would rather see Man Utd win the title (even if it means Everton losing to them) than see Liverpool win :(
Yeah, I'm not bitter either, but listening to bitter fans from both sides is an odd experience, and the mischievious side of me does want to see what would happen if it really was all to play for on the final day!

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
As for that last game of the season, I do want us to be safe by then, but for the sheer comedy value of watching the respective bitter parts of the fanbases, relegation and the title going down to the last game of the season would be hilarious.

remember the season where west brom did the great escape and fans inside the stadium were listening on their radios