Problems with NVIDIA 400 sereis GPUs

toonarama

Bronze Level Poster
Hello all

Had my new PC for a few weeks now and all has been well until last night.

I was watching a DVD and the sound slurred and the screen went black.

A couple of seconds later everthing returned and an error message briefly popped up stating somrthing like "nvidia window kernel driver stopped working but has recovered"

Investigation on the NVIDIA forums seems to suggest this is a widespread issue with the 400 series GPUs which can gradually deteriorate over time and make your PC unuseable.

I'm hoping this was a "one off" but would be interested to know if any other forum members have experienced this issue

many thanks

toonarama

Gorman

Author Level
I have owned a GTX480 since launch, cant recall ever seeing this issue.

I get the occasional driver crash in some games but thats not unique to the fermi cards, odd.

Rakk

The Awesome
I've had a GTX460 for a bit under a year now (ie. from when it was available on the PCS site), never had a GPU driver crash.

toonarama

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you for your replies. Looking through the forum (should have done that first sorry!) I see there have been a few other people mentioning this - I'll monitor it and see how it goes

Gorman

Author Level
"nvidia window kernel driver stopped working but has recovered" is a generic driver crash error message much like ati****.dll error messages. Can have a wide range of causes.

Gorman

Author Level
as a generic error message it will be all over the internet with a million and one different causes.

Imagine googling for "this application has stopped working" error message its the same thing.

the1effect

kernel display driver stopped working but has recovered . nvidia gts 450 on win 7 64 bit. I tried to reinstall old video drivers, new drivers, i reinstall windows, i tried win 7 32 bit but the same error. i dont know what to do next, i have this pc for about 2 weeks

onlynik

Enthusiast
I've a GTX 460 and the nvidia driver stops working and is recovered every day or so, that's the 280.26 drivers, I did not have this issue with the previous driver. Probably just crap nvidia drivers again.