PSA: AMD AM5 issue with over voltage requiring BIOS update

Good evening all,

Will the engineers update the BIOS to the latest version? Reason I ask i have seen some reports of both the ROG STRIX X670E-A GAMING WIFI and the 7800x3d having issues with overheating due to a BIOS version, this could all be coninsidence but these are the components I have ordered with my new build so want to be sure. Link below to video/reddit post.
Again, this could be a coninsidence but for peace of mind is the latest BIOS version installed?

Thanks,
Dan.

Thanks for confirming that, is there anyway to confirm a BIOS update will be complete? I will try and speak with tech support tomorrow.
I dont wany my new build to have similar issues :(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for confirming that, is there anyway to confirm a BIOS update will be complete? I will try and speak with tech support tomorrow.
I dont wany my new build to have similar issues :(
If the BIOS hasn't been updated, your fine to do it yourself with PCS approval first.

But if you want it done at build, you'd need to contact them to specify that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I think 1101 is required for 7800X3D, I figured this out myself with instability. There was certainly no overheating though, the thing ran very cool.

I would guess that PCS will update to at least this revision. You can check on boot by hitting F2 and entering the BIOS to see which version it is, but for the sake of a message I would just send one across and request it anyway.

Perfect, I have gone ahead and sent an email to the enquieries email and asked them to update BIOS and enable any XMP/DOCP profiles in the BIOS.

LeeB

Bronze Level Poster
I'm also awaiting a system to be built with 7800X3D and Asus TUF Gaming WiFi. Seems the issue is across all chips and boards. I'm sure it will be fixed by the time I get the system but some more info below on the issue. Definitely worth looking at for those that have already received systems too and make sure BIOS is updated.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you @dansilvkai and @LeeB for bringing this to our attention.

I'm sure PCS have been notified as they are a partner with AMD and the board partners and will be advised of things like this as they're found.

Very worthwhile checking you're on the latest BIOS if anyone is getting AM5 or already has one and contact PCS if not so they can guide you through updating.

Just be aware flashing a new BIOS without PCS authorisation could void your warranty so do speak with them first

It seems another BIOS version may be in the works, what do I do in this situation? I have requested a BIOS update to the latest but with them coming out frequently I'm kind of at a loss.. i dont want to cancel my order.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It seems another BIOS version may be in the works, what do I do in this situation? I have requested a BIOS update to the latest but with them coming out frequently I'm kind of at a loss.. i dont want to cancel my order.
Just apply the latest one when you speak to them.

BIOSes are updated all the time, but you don't constantly have to update it, only if it has features or fixes that you require for your system.

I do wonder with what has gone on if they will update the BIOS without asking? I will more than likely do the same but I just hate going into the BIOS when I dont need to.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I do wonder with what has gone on if they will update the BIOS without asking? I will more than likely do the same but I just hate going into the BIOS when I dont need to.
You don't need to go into the BIOS to update it, you update it from windows these days.

Soggy Socks

You don't need to go into the BIOS to update it, you update it from windows these days.
Would this be true even for my ASUS TUF X670E-PLUS WIFI mobo? I am getting a 7800x3D and the mobo just mentioned in a PC soonish - I am wondering if EXPO is likely to be enabled by default?

I am planning to update the BIOS as soon as I receive the PC and disabling EXPO. I've been reading on the AMD sub on reddit and it looks like EXPO is causing the high voltage to the SOC Voltage and pulling upwards of 1.5 to 1.7 volts.

Robbie

Gold Level Poster
A friend sent me this article today, showing some burnout on the AMD 7000 series and X3D series CPU and motherboards.

New BIOs are being released to limit to 1.3V - worth doing the update to make sure you're protected against it!

Edit: ah thanks to whichever mod moved my thread, didn't realise it was already covered :)

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
On the ProArt with EXPO enabled I'm seeing 1.1v on the SOC peak. I wonder if different boards default the EXPO differently. I ran EXPO I initially, onto EXPO II now.

I'm on BIOS Rev 1.002 as released on the 21st April. Curious to see what comes next.

The only infuriating issue I have is not being able to disable the RAM RGB. ASUS really need to get the finger out with this. Armoury Crate is the devil and I refuse to install it, but I can't find anything else to work on switching off the RAM RGB :LOL:

BendyG

Bronze Level Poster
I've got a 7800X3D build on the way, got an e-mail to say it's just started being built today. It's got 6000mhz RAM. Not sure if it's worth contacting PCS about it, I know they'll be on it regardless, but, yeah, just got a bit worried with the news stories

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've got a 7800X3D build on the way, got an e-mail to say it's just started being built today. It's got 6000mhz RAM. Not sure if it's worth contacting PCS about it, I know they'll be on it regardless, but, yeah, just got a bit worried with the news stories
It will be fine.

Even if the BIOS isn't on the latest, just check the BIOS version the first time you boot and call them if needed.

"This condition means that, even though the odds are small, an EXPO profile could lead to physical damage to your chip and motherboard."

It's not going to burn out the board instantly unless you're just hugely unlucky. Remember, these chips and boards have been out since end of September and these reports have only just arisen.

BendyG

Bronze Level Poster
It will be fine.

Even if the BIOS isn't on the latest, just check the BIOS version the first time you boot and call them if needed.

"This condition means that, even though the odds are small, an EXPO profile could lead to physical damage to your chip and motherboard."

It's not going to burn out the board instantly unless you're just hugely unlucky. Remember, these chips and boards have been out since end of September and these reports have only just arisen.
Thanks =)