PSU Question

MiRc34

Silver Level Poster
So, I heard that a stock PSU (in my case 600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan) can burn your components dead while the 650W Corsair can't.

Are there any reviews for the PSU I have? Is it good? D:::

Sweeney47

I dont think anyone would be able to sell a PSU that did that, retailers would never buy it from manufacturers.

PaulH

Bright Spark
All psus can do that, if they go faulty, if you get a powersurge and arent using a protector, always have your PC plugged into one, can save a lot of heartache :)

MiRc34

Silver Level Poster
All psus can do that, if they go faulty, if you get a powersurge and arent using a protector, always have your PC plugged into one, can save a lot of heartache :)

I have that... I live in the East EU so I will need an UK->EU adaptor, but then again, will plug that in a protected outlet. Will I be safe then? D:

PaulH

Bright Spark
As safe as you can be, I would like to to say that PSUs or even any PC component dont break, but they do, because the majority have a human influence when being made, which is exactly why there are warranty systems in place, I can say in my entire IT career, i have seen only 2 PSUs that have blown that have taken out other components :) - and non of those were at PCS :)

MiRc34

Silver Level Poster
I can say in my entire IT career, i have seen only 2 PSUs that have blown that have taken out other components :) - and non of those were at PCS :)

That just brought a confidence smile to my face.
Cheers, mate.

LDUK

Master Poster
Lol. It's rare to happen. I keep my PC plugged into a Surge Protector just in case though.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
the 2/3 manufacturers we currently use are very good, and you won't get the 'blowback' effect in the unkikely event that it might go, but I'd always push the Corsairs, I've been running an HX620 at pretty much full whack for about 2 years and its still going strong, it's similar to the 650w corsair we currently sell but I was posh and got the modular version :p

LDUK

Master Poster
You lot always go on about the corsair and how amazing they are, but how is the Thermaltake?

Gorman

Author Level
We like and have never really had issues with ThermalTake PSU's, its a pretty good piece of kit!

If you have heard any bad press about TT its more than likely to do with the perforated water cooling stuff they sell =]

LDUK

Master Poster
We like and have never really had issues with ThermalTake PSU's, its a pretty good piece of kit!

If you have heard any bad press about TT its more than likely to do with the perforated water cooling stuff they sell =]

Oh right, thanks mate. It's just I'm like "Damn, I spent nearly £200 on s PSU and it's getting no praise" lol.

Gorman

Author Level
Its not ofter we would recommend it for an average gaming rig though which is what people are after. I mean damn, 1500w?

MiRc34

Silver Level Poster

So that means the one I have is a ThermalTake? :3

Gorman

Author Level
If its not a corsair which will be named on the order its FSP at 600w. Come to think of it the Corsairs are 650w so definately FSP.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The Thermaltake is good too, but being so high end we don't often discuss it because for 99.9% of people it's an overkill :)