Quadro's really worth it? GTX or ATI Radeons as good?

Bohemian Simian

Background: New PC for, mainly, Adobe CS5 work - Graphic Design/Web based with some Video Editing.

Are Quadro's really worth getting? I've found little evidence to say they are - but lots of hype!

Should I consider a GTX or Radeon card instead?
- Aside from 2D Creative apps performance, I'm also aiming to have as quiet a system as possible!
- Final aside, I would be happy with a fairly basic card for the time being, and would wait to upgrade in 12 months or so: So if Quadro isn't amazingly better I'd go for a cheaper card.

Sleinous

Author Level
Gorman's the expert here, infact he had a lovely little story on the matter but I cant find the thread :(

Bohemian Simian

Well, I'm going for a GTX470 - but despite the rather illustrative story by Gorman (nice work btw!) I'm still to be convinced this CUDA Cores stuff is much more than a well worked marketing campaign!
OK, Adobe 'reckon' CUDA cores work with video apps in CS5, but it appears only certain plug-ins in Photoshop, not Photoshop itself benefit.
But where are the hard facts to back these claims up? Unless I'm missing things (and sadly this seems to be the case this week!) there's very little in the way of proof - but lots of sales boompfh!

I guess I'm just pining for pretty graphs and idiot proof (for me) pie charts! haha

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Well the GTX470 has 448 CUDA cores so it should be pretty good for photoshop. Also, when you get around to choosing a build go with the coolermaster sileo case because it's the quietest one available.

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level
Its all about architecture.

CUDA when a program supports it, offers unbelievable increases in performance, there can be no doubt there.

When it comes down to it though, the GTX / Radeon cards are for gaming, the GPU and card architecture is tuned for gaming. The Quadro / Firegl or whatever AMD are calling it now are built for 2D work and workstations.

Can a Corsa go offroad? sure, but like the GTX faced with autocad / CS5 etc it will soon find itself out of its depth as its not the intended use. Thats why you can buy a Landrover, or in this case, a Quadro / Firegl.

Im a techie, i look at the card specs etc and its quite black and white for me. You use a hammer for nails and a screwdriver for screws, same goes here.

You may well be absolutely fine with a standard GPU like the GTX 460, give it a go and report back, i would be interested to know the results.

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
Can a Corsa go offroad? ....

My Corsa goes offroad fine, no, hang on, it is actually a road, but given the amount of potholes it feels like offroad, ok, hang on some more, maybe that's why I had to replace the suspension recently, um .......

Lets fix that comment, you're right Corsa's don't do well offroad :)

Gorman

Author Level
My Corsa goes offroad fine, no, hang on, it is actually a road, but given the amount of potholes it feels like offroad, ok, hang on some more, maybe that's why I had to replace the suspension recently, um .......

Lets fix that comment, you're right Corsa's don't do well offroad :)

i thought you said you didnt live in yorkshire anymore......

Bohemian Simian

Gorman: I get what you are saying, and I've read lots of marketing boompfh saying that it is sooo much better at 2D, so I don't doubt you are right.

But, while I/anyone can look at a landrover and see it's clearly better off-road than a Corsa it seems only those privy to actual test/comparative results can see the same difference with Quadro and general cards. And I've not seen any data yet. Only marketing tales. Of course, I may simply have missed it...!?!?
- Kinda like telling someone who's never heard of/seen a Land Rover or Corsa and telling them Land Rover is best off-road: this may be the case, but show them images/videos of them in action and voila! They can also see for themselves. I've not yet seen 'proof' the Quadro's are better off-road. ;-)

Gorman

Author Level
I think the lack of comparative reviews is more down to the cards having specific roles, theres plenty of reviews of Quadro's doing their thing and GTX doing its thing but little crossover.

I did find one image which sums it up:

square-peg-round-hole.jpg

Bohemian Simian

I'm going for the Corsa as my budget is limited, and at a push it'll get me across fields and fords for now.

I can't justify spending 3 or 4 times (+) the amount on a Land Rover, as I'm not 'yet' tackling 45 degree muddy slopes.

Extra spend on Quadro worth it over GTX470?...
High End Quadro worth it for normal load CS and general use when have a budget? NO.
High End Quadro worth it if only doing intense 2D work AND have a massive budget? YES.

Gorman - you do realise that I'm now stuck in a comparative Land-Rover/Corsa loop and it's all your fault! lol