Question re. nvidia gts 450

shades

Silver Level Poster
Hi all. I have two monitors. One has a dvi-d input. No problems there, I know I'll be able to use it with this card. My other monitor however only has a vga input. Is there any way of using this with the GTS 450 - an adapter or something?

pengipete

Rising Star
As long as your card outputs DVI-I then you can buy a simple DVI to VGA adaptor that attaches to the cable and costs a couple of quid - or you should be able to buy a ready made lead with the right plugs. (DVI-I carries both digital and analog signals - DVI-D is digital only - VGA is analog). Just be careful to make sure that you get the right combination of male/female as there are also adaptors designed to use VGA output on DVI only monitors.

If your card only outputs DVI-D then you'd need to buy a hardware transcoder - it would probably be cheaper to buy another monitor.

I know this may seem like a daft question but are you sure your card doesn't have a VGA output? I've looked at a few models from Palit, NVidia etc and they all have one.

NilSatis

Bright Spark
Yes, shouldnt be a problem if you just purchase an extra cable with the correct adapter; you can buy cables from amazon or something like that.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/1-8m-DVI-TO-VGA-CABLE/dp/B000K5O1M8

It does depend on which ports the card you have has on the back of it as to which cable you will need I believe, i.e. http://images.bit-tech.net/content_images/2010/09/nvidia-geforce-gts-450-review/asus-geforce-gts-450-b.jpg this asus one has a vga port and a dvi-d port.

This one however has two dual link dvi ports: http://computershopper.com/holidayguide/2010/nvidia-geforce-gts-450 but im sure someone from PCS will be able to tell you which ones you will have on your card (if your pc hasnt been delivered yet) :) Hope this helps....

shades

Silver Level Poster
Thanks chaps. I'm taking delivery of the pc today hopefully so I'll be clearer exactly what is on the back at that point. On my spec it says the following:

1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS450 - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11, 3D Vision Ready

That would I guess suggest it does have a separate VGA port but all the ones I've seen just have the 2 DVI ports and an HDMI port so I was assuming that by VGA it meant that the DVI ports can output VGA as well.

I probably just need to be a little more patient and deal with it once the PC arrives but I wanted to have the right cables to set it up.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.

Rakk

The Awesome
I know when I got my PC (with a gtx460 - which has 2 DVI ports) included in the box was a DVI-VGA converter, so you may well get one in your starter pack anyway, check with the guys on the phones at PCS before buying any bits :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Well as I said you might want to check with the guys at PCS and verify whether you are getting one or not, cos you don't want to find out you dont have one when you get it :)

shades

Silver Level Poster
Well I am now very confused. I received my pc today and although my spec says the GTS 450 has 2 DVI,VGA,HDMI the card I have received only has 1 DVI output.:(

pengipete

Rising Star
What make is it?

Looking around, it seems that only Asus make a 450 with a single DVI, a VGA and an HDMI port - all the others seem to have two DVI ports. In it's favour, the Asus version has the full-size HDMI port rather than the mini one and if it's the TOP version it is pre-overclocked and was the winner of TomsHardware's head to head review.

Also, you can get HDMI to DVI adaptors for a couple of quid if you need to have two DVI connections - HDMI and DVI are both data and electrically identical so there's absolutely no difference in picture quality, refresh speeds etc.

Last edited:

shades

Silver Level Poster
Haven't actually set it up yet. Had a quick look at it that's all so far. I'll get a chance to sort it out in about an hour's time. Will report back later! Pics to follow tomorrow.