Question Regarding PSU's :)

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
I just wondered why do people get a 1200w PSU....? Why the need for so much...? :whistling:

I thought you only need a 750w PSU or 850w PSU to be able to SLI or Crossfire...?

So if anyone would like to inform or educate me on why people get a PSU so high please comment. :) Thanks

#What would a rig contain to require a PSU over 850w....???

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
If you was intending to SLI / Crossfire in future with a Max of 2 GPUs and to also add a fan controller in the future, would an 850w be better than a 750w...?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
It depends on the total power consumption of all the components.
The configurator will warn you if the PSU selected isn't sufficient,it's also based on a 20% allowance,this gives quite a bit of scope for adding other components in future.
Also it's highly unlikely all components will be consuming maximum power at any one time,so you also have a kind of diversity factor.
If someone is planning on adding more components in future not covered in the configurator it's really down to the individual to figure it out for himself.

Last edited:

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
I did a spec with Crossfire: 2 7970s with a 750w PSU and it said it would work. :) So im guessing it would obviously work with 2 7950's. But then again 2 OC'd 7950s would require higher i figure....

steaky360

Slightly higher yes. I got the 1200w PSU to ensure I could upgrade or add water cooling in the future if I ever wanted to (and to ensure I could do some overclocking!).

Jaymee-Nausica

Gold Level Poster
Im leaning to go towards the Corsair 850w PSU incase i wanted to Crossfire 2 XFX OC Black Edition 7950s in future. I think the 750w PSU wouldn't leave much to spare. I think an OC'd XFX 7950 consumes about the same power as a stock XFX 7970, round the 220-250 mark (I think, according to my research ).

# 2 stock 7970s on PCS configuration, along with the spec I chose, came to 747w, with an 850w PSU selected, saying I don't need it and need 750w. But to me, that doesn't leave much left with a 750w PSU does it..!

# So im figuring to go with the 850w PSU for 2 XFX OC's 7950s ( in future ) just to be sure. :detective:

baron75mk2

Banned
I got my 1200 for overclocking & so i wouldnt have to worry about PSU requirements for a long time to come - also for bragging rights lol