RAM Clock speed not right.

Zargoltir

Motherboard ASUS® SABERTOOTH 990FX - TUF SERIES MILITARY GRADE MOTHERBOARD
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

As you can see those are my ram and mobo. The Sabertooth 990FX supports 1600mhz without needing to OC.

But i noticed whilst looking in bios, the ram is default set to 1333mhz. This is annoying, a tad. Any ideas why?

I've used the Ai Tweak tool and set it to 1600mhz but that's beside the point!

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Ok, so ya go into the bios, by pressing "del" as the pc boots up.

then click advanced, look for the AI tweaker, then where it says AI overclock tuner, change from auto to XMP.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Correct, this should automatically set it up for not only the correct speed, but the correct timings and CPU config that goes with it.

Zargoltir

Sweet thanks -- will try now!

EDIT:

Okay, I tried and the XMP tool isn't there in Ai Tweaker - Ai Overclock Tuner.

However, the three options available are:
> Auto
> Manual
> D.O.C.P
I set it to D.O.C.P and it changed it to 1600mhz and clocked my processor to 3.4ghz (even though its stock setting is 3.0ghz!)

Is this okay? Or will it cause problems in the future?

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
have ya look in ya mobo manual to find out what DOCP stands for.

what CPU do you have?

also does it seem stable?

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Ah right, if it's an AMD processor it won't have XMP, just use manual and set it to 1600Mhz, test it with it at that and let us know how you get on, just use the manual setting?

Zargoltir

I have and it doesn't say. It just says;

"Allows you to set DRAM Voltage" and "[D.O.C.P] When DOCP is enabled CPU Bus frequency, CPU ratio and memory parameters will be auto optimized." It set it to 3.4ghz for the processor (faster than it should be) and 1600mhz for the ram (what it should be).

It's the Phenom II x4 960T.

And it does seem stable atm.

EDIT: Just realised my processor doesn't natively support 1600mhz+ ram so it slows it down to 1333mhz unless I specify otherwise!

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
i'd leave it like that at the moment. Be a good idea to monitor the CPU temps though,

Wait to see what JAK says,

Zargoltir

Well, I kept it at what it was -- Opened up SW:TOR and the computer crashed so I set the CPU clock back to 3.0GHZ and had no problems since then.

After 1-2hrs of SW:TOR (on all max settings), the temps are:

32c for CPU, 45c for motherboard, and 45-55c for GPUs ;D

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Well that's pretty good, if you want keep it at that, but the RAM should be fine to keep at 1600Mhz, it's just the CPU above the target that it won't :)

Zargoltir

Alright! Thanks -- it's running at 3.01ghz cpu and 1600mhz ram (like I wanted it to originally)! and it's not going above 60 -- on any temps! :D So I'm happy!

Thanks for all your help! :)