RAM PROBLEM AND OVERHEATING NEW RECOIL 15.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yes, sorry...I intended the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, of course :)
However I expected something like this ... as written above, when the notebook was still in RMA, that 89 ° average value on TimeSpy worried me, even if the technicians assured me that in their benches it had never exceeded 93 °. And indeed...
We're not here to answer any complaints about PCS technicians or anything like that I'm afraid. None of us work for PCS, for anything like that you need to speak directly to them please.

We're simply here as a first point of contact to help with solutions that can be done yourself, to try to avoid having to return for RMA. All we care about is you having the best performing machine you can. We don't care about problems or complaints, only about solutions.

Previously, there were no temp issues, which we've said countless times in the course of this thread by several different people. Intel run hot, the temps you had were nothing unusual. There may have been performance issues, but it wasn't due to temperatures.

You can't really compare your overall score and temperatures with @KriSta 's build as his CPU is from a different brand, so regarding performance his CPU is superior (IMO) and temperature management will be quite different as well, not to mention that on laptops it is the CPU temperature that has the bigger impact (even on the GPU temperature, since the heat pipes are shared between CPU and GPU).

We've then gone on to say countless times that if you're concerned about temps the first thing you need to do is repaste.
In that case you need to address the temps with a repaste.

I still think this is required (referring to a repaste)

If you're worried about temps then the first thing you need to do is repaste as already advised.

I get it that you've not done it before, but you're going to have to do it frequently during the lifetime of your laptop, if you don't, it will overheat and die prematurely, so it's something you need to become very familiar with.

The first thing you need to do, is repaste, it's possible it's a bad paste job, if not, it could be the cooler is not suitably applied, Either way it needs to be repasted correctly. This is a completely different issue to previously as we're seeing high temps of over 100c which is thermal throttling. This is completely different to before your RMA when they were more like 95c which is perfectly normal.

Once temps are manageable, only then can you perform any kind of benchmarking to evaluate performance.

But no laptop will thermal throttle out of the factory if it's been suitably pasted (unless it's a poorly designed chassis in which case everyone would experience that, that is not the case with this one). If a laptop is thermal throttling in any way it's because of a cooling problem, you don't address it with undervolting or lowering clocks, as that isn't addressing the core issue, it's purely preventing the issue occuring, it's not a solution and will lead to further problems down the line.

Firstly you address cooling issues, THEN you can further optimise temps with undervolts etc. IMHO, if you're ever reducing clocks to get stable performance, you don't know what you're doing and you're not addressing the core issue, and settling for a poor system.

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys, I wonder if some of you have an issue like the following.
I can not update BIOS of my Recoil anymore :cautious:
Only version working is 1.04 (the actual one on my system). If I try to update to a new one (as latest, 1.07.A05) or revert to an old one,
the results is always the same: I succesfully performed the ECFLASH.NSH update but I can't do the FLASHME.NSH coz I got a WARNING message and I can't do anything but restart my system.
Tech support didn't have a solution to my issue, I hope you guys can help me, many thanks ;)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi guys, I wonder if some of you have an issue like the following.
I can not update BIOS of my Recoil anymore :cautious:
Only version working is 1.04 (the actual one on my system). If I try to update to a new one (as latest, 1.07.A05) or revert to an old one,
the results is always the same: I succesfully performed the ECFLASH.NSH update but I can't do the FLASHME.NSH coz I got a WARNING message and I can't do anything but restart my system.
Tech support didn't have a solution to my issue, I hope you guys can help me, many thanks ;)
It's not something we have any access to, only PCS can advise on BIOS flashing

I take it the newer BIOSes are provided by PCS? You'd have to RMA if their advice isn't working

You can't downgrade a BIOS only upgrade

Can you post your full specs from the order page as we've not seen them yet?

PCS would never just accept a BIOS flash not working, they would have suggested an RMA?

Last edited:

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
Can you post your full specs from the order page as we've not seen them yet?

whoah, actually 6 pages of post and I recognize only now that I never posted it: my fault! Here u are, anyway:

Chassis & Recoil Series Display: Widescreen 165Hz sRGB 100% LED matte QHD 15.6" (2560 x 1440)
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 11800H octa-core processor (2.3 GHz, 4.6 GHz Turbo)
32GB Corsair 3200MHz DDR4 SODIMM (2 x 16GB)

NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3080 Graphics Card – 16.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM – DirectX® 12.1
1st SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD 500GB, NVMe PCIe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Partitions: 500GB

2nd M.2 SSD 2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
Partitions: 1000GB, 1000GB

External USB 2.0 Slim 8x DVD-RW DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
Memory Card Reader Integrated SD card reader
AC adapter 2 x 230W AC adapter
Battery Built-in Li-ion Battery (94Wh) - Recoil Series
Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVE PASTE
Sound Card 2-channel high-definition audio + microphone/headphone jack
Bluetooth & Wireless LAN GIGABIT & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 (2.4Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options 1 USB 3.2 PORT (Type C) + 3 USB 3.2 PORTS

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
It's not something we have any access to, only PCS can advise on BIOS flashing

I take it the newer BIOSes are provided by PCS? You'd have to RMA if their advice isn't working

You can't downgrade a BIOS only upgrade

PCS would never just accept a BIOS flash not working, they would have suggested an RMA?

@SpyderTracks @ubuysa I reply to all your questions:
I already got an RMA on february 2022 (ram, performance and overheating problems). The RMA took a long time (2 months), and PCS tech made numerous changes on my notebook (cpu, mobo, ram changed, repastes etc), but after several attempts the performances improves a very little and temperatures was higer than before. At that point, considering that, according to the PCS tech, nothing else could be done to my Recoil, and that in any case the temperatures were high for them but there was no throttling, they offered me either the return of the notebook or a full refund: the refund was an infeasible solution since I would have been additional time without a computer, which is necessary for me to work (and 2 months has been already dramatic!). So I trusted PCS tech and chose to have the notebook returned to me. Unfortunately, however, as I suspected, the temperatures are even higher than before (reaching 101° during gaming sessions) and there is a lot of throttling.

Since there's no turning back now, and now I have to keep this notebook, the only way to keep the temperatures a littel bit lower is to do a little undervolt. But to my surprise the undervolt features are locked on the processor replaced in the RMA (while before the RMA they weren't and I could undervolt, if I wanted, with throttlestop or intel tuning). The PCS tech so advised me to try older version of BIOS and sent me various precedent BIOS to revert. We got up to BIOS 1.04 and 1.02 but nothing has changed (still undervolt locked). Since then it hasn't been possible for me to go back to the most recent bios, and the only bios that doesn't give me the WARNING error is 1.04.

This is all the story. Please consider that all I did was done following the directions of the PCS tech and with files sent exclusively by them. (and revert BIOS is possible as u read). So now I want at least to take my notebook back to the latest BIOS version and, if someone knows how, to have a way to apply some undervolt and get around this undervolt lock.

I hope all it is clear and you can give me some hints....many thanks to all :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@SpyderTracks @ubuysa I reply to all your questions:
I already got an RMA on february 2022 (ram, performance and overheating problems). The RMA took a long time (2 months), and PCS tech made numerous changes on my notebook (cpu, mobo, ram changed, repastes etc), but after several attempts the performances improves a very little and temperatures was higer than before. At that point, considering that, according to the PCS tech, nothing else could be done to my Recoil, and that in any case the temperatures were high for them but there was no throttling, they offered me either the return of the notebook or a full refund: the refund was an infeasible solution since I would have been additional time without a computer, which is necessary for me to work (and 2 months has been already dramatic!). So I trusted PCS tech and chose to have the notebook returned to me. Unfortunately, however, as I suspected, the temperatures are even higher than before (reaching 101° during gaming sessions) and there is a lot of throttling.

Since there's no turning back now, and now I have to keep this notebook, the only way to keep the temperatures a littel bit lower is to do a little undervolt. But to my surprise the undervolt features are locked on the processor replaced in the RMA (while before the RMA they weren't and I could undervolt, if I wanted, with throttlestop or intel tuning). The PCS tech so advised me to try older version of BIOS and sent me various precedent BIOS to revert. We got up to BIOS 1.04 and 1.02 but nothing has changed (still undervolt locked). Since then it hasn't been possible for me to go back to the most recent bios, and the only bios that doesn't give me the WARNING error is 1.04.

This is all the story. Please consider that all I did was done following the directions of the PCS tech and with files sent exclusively by them. (and revert BIOS is possible as u read). So now I want at least to take my notebook back to the latest BIOS version and, if someone knows how, to have a way to apply some undervolt and get around this undervolt lock.

I hope all it is clear and you can give me some hints....many thanks to all
You need to go through this with PCS, this is not something the forum can help with.

If you're worried about temps I take it you've repasted? You need to do that about once a year to keep temps in check.

wwwmagnottait

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for your reply @SpyderTracks :)
If you've read my story above you'll have understood that I've followed all of the PCS tech's directions, and they can't figure out either the bios or the undervolt issue. Now I can no longer make any RMA and I have to keep my notebook as it is. As for the repaste, I feel like excluding that this is the reason: when it was in assistance, in addition to the processor change, several repaste were made by tech, which did not change the temperature situation. It seems I'm in the so-called "cul de sac" :(

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for your reply @SpyderTracks :)
If you've read my story above you'll have understood that I've followed all of the PCS tech's directions, and they can't figure out either the bios or the undervolt issue. Now I can no longer make any RMA and I have to keep my notebook as it is. As for the repaste, I feel like excluding that this is the reason: when it was in assistance, in addition to the processor change, several repaste were made by tech, which did not change the temperature situation. It seems I'm in the so-called "cul de sac" :(
I'm afraid there's we can do if you're not willing to follow suggestions. We've suggested several times how to manage temps. You said the last time it was in for RMA was about a year ago so it will need annual maintenance.

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do for you on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.