Read from SSD and write to HDD on new computer

tim

I am no computer expert and thus I would appreciate some advice.

The new computer arrived today and I am trying to set it up so it reads from the SSD (as I believe these are fast when reading) and always saves to the HDD as there is far more space. Yet when installing new programmes I figure these should be saved to the SSD, is this right?

Therefore how do I set the computer up so it knows to read and write to the optimum places; I am sure there must be a setting!!

The first disk is the SSD (80GB) and the second disk is the HDD (1TB).

Any simple explanations would be appreciated.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
You have to select where to install each program and choose the drive. There is no standard way to configure what you are asking (as far as I understand).

Install your programs on your SSD and store you data/music/movies etc on your HDD.

Gorman

Author Level
You will however run out of space pretty fast if you install everything to the SSD, best to install the programs you want to run fastest on the SSD and the chaff to the mechanical drive.

As PCS notes there is no system wide setting for this, its just a case of altering the path on each install.

xrchz

Bronze Level Poster
To be clear, you can't write something to the HDD and then expect to read it from the SSD. Whatever you write to one drive is what you can read from that drive. So it's a matter of picking which things you want to store on which drive.