Real Help Needed! :(

ThomasM

Sorry if i havent left enough details or anything here, but i'll explain as best i can.

Everytime i start up my computer it goes into startup recovery mode, telling me something is wrong with my hard drive, doesnt tell me what but only tells me that windows can't actually fix it :/ I just click on start windows normally each time instead of the recovery option.

Second thing is my gpu, one day after the first hard drive start up failure, my screen starts with a bad resolution and a 1 inch unusable black border around the screen, i re-downloaded drivers and restarted(through the startup recovery) everything was working fine, several days later my gpu slows down (less fps in games) then the screen goes black and the gpu fans stop, starts back up within a few seconds saying my gpu drivers had failed but had recovered (several times this has happened). Today the black outline is back and i re-downloaded drivers but the havent worked this time.

Any ideas? Think my hard drive is broken but im not sure if the gpu is acting up because of this or if its broken too :/

Please ask for any more info and i will try answer as best i can.

baron75mk2

Banned
May not be the HDD or the GPU - might be worth trying a clean install of windows & see where you are then , could just be a screwed up windows

ThomasM

I have did a clean install but lost my wifi drivers haha! Didn't have time to do anything else last night as I was at work early this morning. Going home to have another look. Also I have installed windows onto an sad drive this time. Should I format the hdd? Or leave windows on it with all my program's etc as I didn't partition the windows section so formatting will wipe most things that aren't backed up. Sorry for vagueness or lack of info, on my phone atm

tom_gr7

Life Serving
well you could copy the important files across to a mem stick? or other device? then give the drive a format. Not really much point in having the os on the hard drive as well as on a ssd.

things likes games and programs will need a fresh install anyway, as the old installs would be under the old directory, I think, so copying across just wouldnt work.

ThomasM

I have backed up most things onto an external hdd. Formatted old hd(almost instant, didn't realise how fast it was). Jut downloading anti virus and then I will get my nvidia driver and see if we can get rid of the black outline. The driver is all I need yeah?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I have backed up most things onto an external hdd. Formatted old hd(almost instant, didn't realise how fast it was). Jut downloading anti virus and then I will get my nvidia driver and see if we can get rid of the black outline. The driver is all I need yeah?
Are you using an HDMI cable to connect to your monitor,if so this can cause the black outline.
I know this can easily be fixed by "scaling" options that are available for AMD graphics cards in catalyst control centre,but I'm not sure how to apply this with an Nvidia card.

ThomasM

I do use HDMI cable but it never caused a problem before, its more a border than an outline, as in my mouse wouldnt go into it? Get me? haha!
After my fresh install onto ssd i have fixed the gpu problem, however when i start up my computer it gives me the option of starting 2 different windows 7 although my only one is now on the ssd and not hdd.

Can i have two program files and (x86) folders? One on each drive as i copied it over to hdd but im not sure if thats allowed?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Yes,I meant border when I said "outline"anyway,
If you now only have the one OS installed you can safely get rid of the extra windows 7 option on startup,to do so.
Click Start,In the Search text box, type msconfig.
Go to the Boot tab/Select the boot entry you want to delete/Click the Delete button and then click OK.
be careful you delete the right one,although I don't think you can delete the "current one"anyway.
If you want a programs folder on the second hard drive to install programs I do it like this,
simply delete the "C" on "location"when installing a program and type in the drive letter of the drive you want to install to,this will automatically create the necessary folder on the second hard drive the first time you do it.What you have done,if I read it correctly,may cause problems.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
when you installed the OS, did you format the other drive then? if not that may be why windows thinks there are still two os's, cause you formatted the hdd whilst in windows, if that makes sense.