Recoil III 8750H temperature while gaming is 95~97 C

mahbar

Hi

I have bought Recoil III with 8750H and RTX 2070 Max q and I'm pretty happy with it.

I have one thing that makes me a little worried though. While I'm having game mode enabled In the gaming center and gaming for a while I noticed that CPU temp sustained 95~97 C.
Is it safe?
Is there a setting where I can make it around 90 C even if that means more throttling?
Should I use another software than Gaming Center?
I want to make the laptop lives as long as possible.

Thanks for advance.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

I have bought Recoil III with 8750H and RTX 2070 Max q and I'm pretty happy with it.

I have one thing that makes me a little worried though. While I'm having game mode enabled In the gaming center and gaming for a while I noticed that CPU temp sustained 95~97 C.
Is it safe?
Is there a setting where I can make it around 90 C even if that means more throttling?
Should I use another software than Gaming Center?
I want to make the laptop lives as long as possible.

Thanks for advance.
How long have you had the laptop?

It's possible it requires a repaste. It's unusual for the Recoil to suffer from such high temps, and yes, it's worth trying to get them down a bit.

I'd say low 90's on sustained load would be suitable.

mahbar

It's possible it requires a repaste. It's unusual for the Recoil to suffer from such high temps, and yes, it's worth trying to get them down a bit.

I had it for about 6 months.
I also have COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND in the order.

mahbar

Below is a screenshot from Arkham City's bench mark. The processor is running at 3.9ghz and 97 C. It's not sustained at 97, but it goes between 95C and 97C even though it only has 26% utilization.
Would replacing the thermal paste resolve this or is it something else?
I though if I bought COOLER MASTER MASTERGEL MAKER THERMAL COMPOUND it would take longer before I have to replace the paste.
1577144874550.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A repaste is definitely required.

Sometimes paste is applied incorrectly and doesn't work as intended. Doesn't matter how good the paste is, if it's not applied correctly, it just won't cool adequately.

mahbar

A repaste is definitely required.

Sometimes paste is applied incorrectly and doesn't work as intended. Doesn't matter how good the paste is, if it's not applied correctly, it just won't cool adequately.
Thank you. Is there a guide how to do a repaste on recoil III?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you very much for the recommendation.
Is there a guide for repasting for recoil III?
Not for recoil specifically, but it's the same process for any chassis.

You just need to remove the heatsink off the CPU, then clean the chip with some isopropyl alcohol and something like a cotton bud, or piece of kitchen paper, and apply paste, then reattach the heatsink carefully but firmly.

There are plenty of videos on youtube.

IMHO, the best way to apply the paste is drop a small pea sized dolop on the center of the chip, then attach the heatsink and let the heatsink spread the paste naturally when reattaching. Don't try and spread the paste over the chip.

When you expose the chip, I'd recommend taking a photo of the applied paste. IMHO, it's worth feeding all this back to PCS. Paste application is an area that needs improvement and any feedback to them will help them improve their production training.

acolwill

Not sure if you've re-pasted your Recoil III, if not you could try what I did with mine.

Enter BIOS and drop CPU voltage by 0.1v, iGFX voltage by 0.05v
Install and run Intel XTU.
Disable Turbo Boost.
Disable Gaming Centre.

Fans spin up as normal when playing games, but temps never usually go over 75-80 dungarees science.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Not sure if you've re-pasted your Recoil III, if not you could try what I did with mine.

Enter BIOS and drop CPU voltage by 0.1v, iGFX voltage by 0.05v
Install and run Intel XTU.
Disable Turbo Boost.
Disable Gaming Centre.

Fans spin up as normal when playing games, but temps never usually go over 75-80 dungarees science.
Disabling the Turbo Boost is like swapping it out for a lower range CPU, kind of defeats the object. If you're having to do that, then you haven't addressed the core thermal issues. Whilst it will of course run cooler, it's because it's highest core clock will be drastically lower, not because it's operating more efficiently.

I'd advise enabling Turbo Boost again.

Also, you can't just apply any old undervolt, it's the same process as overclocking, every piece of silicon is different, so you have to apply in gentle increments to find what's suitable for your chip.

acolwill

Disabling the Turbo Boost is like swapping it out for a lower range CPU, kind of defeats the object. If you're having to do that, then you haven't addressed the core thermal issues. Whilst it will of course run cooler, it's because it's highest core clock will be drastically lower, not because it's operating more efficiently.

I'd advise enabling Turbo Boost again.

Also, you can't just apply any old undervolt, it's the same process as overclocking, every piece of silicon is different, so you have to apply in gentle increments to find what's suitable for your chip.

If this was a normal laptop CPU I would agree, however Intel flat-out lie by omission when it comes to the power consumption and thus thermals for their 'performance' laptop CPU's.
The CPU in question has a TDP of 45w, except when under turbo boost it has free reign to draw 90w...
I believe the thermal solution in the Recoil III is sufficient to cool the machine under normal use without turbo boost however it is completely inadequate when the machine is running balls to the wall.

I don't see a significant enough performance increase when running with turbo-boost enabled vs disabled to warrant having a space heater under my hands.

With regards to the undervolting - those numbers have been provided by other users in other threads on this forum (with the same issue) using the Recoil III and from other ODM's using the same chassais under different SKU's.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If this was a normal laptop CPU I would agree, however Intel flat-out lie by omission when it comes to the power consumption and thus thermals for their 'performance' laptop CPU's.
The CPU in question has a TDP of 45w, except when under turbo boost it has free reign to draw 90w...
I believe the thermal solution in the Recoil III is sufficient to cool the machine under normal use without turbo boost however it is completely inadequate when the machine is running balls to the wall.

I don't see a significant enough performance increase when running with turbo-boost enabled vs disabled to warrant having a space heater under my hands.

With regards to the undervolting - those numbers have been provided by other users in other threads on this forum (with the same issue) using the Recoil III and from other ODM's using the same chassais under different SKU's.
We have countless people with the recoil and the enhanced thermal paste (which we’d recommend to everyone on any laptop) running within perfectly acceptable temp ranges without nerfing the CPU clocks at full pelt under sustained stress tests.

as I said, if you’re thermals are reaching out of range on that model it’s because of a problem with the paste application or the heatsink arrangement/fans. You haven’t dealt with the core problem, you’ve just amputated a broken leg.

I say this more for any other person reading this thread as it sounds like you have your mind made up.

With regards to undervolting, the whole point is it doesn’t matter what settings are right for one person, to just go and apply -100mv off the bat is like taking the same amount of heroin as your addict best mate who’s been injecting for 10 years... it’s quite possibly going to kill you because your tolerance is not the same as his. (Granted, awful analogy but you get the point). ANY overclock or undervolt is a precise incremental increase to get to the optimum for your system which is completely different to anyone else’s.If you just randomly apply a figure your quite possibly going to face boot issues, or if overclocking then a fried board and/or cpu.

acolwill

We have countless people with the recoil and the enhanced thermal paste (which we’d recommend to everyone on any laptop) running within perfectly acceptable temp ranges without nerfing the CPU clocks at full pelt under sustained stress tests.

as I said, if you’re thermals are reaching out of range on that model it’s because of a problem with the paste application or the heatsink arrangement/fans. You haven’t dealt with the core problem, you’ve just amputated a broken leg.

I say this more for any other person reading this thread as it sounds like you have your mind made up.

With regards to undervolting, the whole point is it doesn’t matter what settings are right for one person, to just go and apply -100mv off the bat is like taking the same amount of heroin as your addict best mate who’s been injecting for 10 years... it’s quite possibly going to kill you because your tolerance is not the same as his. (Granted, awful analogy but you get the point). ANY overclock or undervolt is a precise incremental increase to get to the optimum for your system which is completely different to anyone else’s.If you just randomly apply a figure your quite possibly going to face boot issues, or if overclocking then a fried board and/or cpu.
I'm always open to other scenarios, have been using PC's for over 25 years - nothing is ever clear-cut, yet some things are as simple as turning it off and on again. If there's a "proper" way to do something, let me know.

With regards to temperatures, there's also a probable equal amount of users who have reported problems with overheating under the same circumstances... not to mention those who've not even posted on these forums.
If there's issues with the initial application of the thermal paste and/or heatsink arrangement when coming from PCS, then this suggests a QC issue at PCS. Asking users to reapply thermal paste or RMA the product as soon as it's been purchased would also point to QC failure.

Undervolting doesn't kill CPU's, using drugs as an analogy is a really really bad way to make your point.
Worst case, it'll cause your O/S to become unstable... the the BIOS won't allow the CPU to undervolt below it's boot voltage.
The numbers given aren't random, I agree it's different per machine, however we're talking about the exact same board, cpu, gpu. Some users have been able to undervolt more, yet from all the threads I've viewed regarding this exact board I've not seen one that could't do at least -100mv
My suggestions with regards to the undervolting come from prior experience and research done by others on both the current and previous platforms.
For example:

Overvolting does kill CPU's. I've learned this from experience, we're not talking about overvolting though.

The main issue I've found with the Recoil III, is it doesn't allow XTU to limit the turbo-boost power draw. Having the CPU draw twice it's TDP (45w) for a near indefinite amount of time will cause throttling and thus decrease overall performance. Hence why I suggested to disable turbo-boost - I've never had mine power or thermal throttle with it disabled.

I'm currently downloading Arkham City so I can run benchmarks to compare.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Again, you’re misunderstanding the implication of an undervolt or overclock. The important factor is not the board or power supply, but purely the silicon because two chips are the same in their tolerances.

If you look at any overclocking or undervolting guide they will say the same thing about how it’s done, and it NEEDS to be followed. The reason I pair them in the same sentence is they are different sides of a coin, an overclock contains voltage tweaks.

The system is fully designed to handle sustained turbo boosts.

acolwill

Done some benchmarks for Arkham City GOTY.
Default settings, with DX11 enabled.
ARK-SET.png

Turbo Boost Disabled:
ARK-1.png

ARK-2.png

ARK-3.png

TB Enabled:
ARK-1-TB-Enabled.png

ARK-2-TB-Enabled.png

ARK-3-TB-Enabled.png

XTU Monitoring with Turbo Boost enabled:
XTU-TB-Enabled.png

With TB enabled, it regularly power, EDP or thermal throttles *regardless* on what you're doing.

XTU Monitoring with TB disabled:
XTU-TB-Disabled.png

Whilst you may disagree with disabling Turbo Boost, the 15FPS gain from this title alone doesn't justify a CPU temp hike of 15 degrees C and a GPU temp increase of 10 degrees C...

I'd love to keep this machine running with TB enabled, I just don't believe it's worth it in the long run. The performance gains vs temperatures, fan noise and overall component health...
I have two NVME SSD's and a SATA SSD inside this machine, along with two sticks of 2666 DDR4 memory.
This is just my opinion... like anything electronics related, your mileage may vary.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Done some benchmarks for Arkham City GOTY.
Default settings, with DX11 enabled.
View attachment 15039

Turbo Boost Disabled:
View attachment 15041
View attachment 15042
View attachment 15043

TB Enabled:
View attachment 15044
View attachment 15045
View attachment 15046

XTU Monitoring with Turbo Boost enabled:
View attachment 15047
With TB enabled, it regularly power, EDP or thermal throttles *regardless* on what you're doing.

XTU Monitoring with TB disabled:
View attachment 15048

Whilst you may disagree with disabling Turbo Boost, the 15FPS gain from this title alone doesn't justify a CPU temp hike of 15 degrees C and a GPU temp increase of 10 degrees C...

I'd love to keep this machine running with TB enabled, I just don't believe it's worth it in the long run. The performance gains vs temperatures, fan noise and overall component health...
I have two NVME SSD's and a SATA SSD inside this machine, along with two sticks of 2666 DDR4 memory.
This is just my opinion... like anything electronics related, your mileage may vary.
You’re completely missing what’s being said at the core of this.
I’m not arguing that enabling turbo boost will increase temps - of course it will.

what I’m saying is if you’re seeing throttling on the chip with turbo boost enabled and an undervolt applied, it’s because there’s a problem with you rig that needs addressing. And disabling turbo boost is just ignoring the real issue.

acolwill

Again, you’re misunderstanding the implication of an undervolt or overclock. The important factor is not the board or power supply, but purely the silicon because two chips are the same in their tolerances.

If you look at any overclocking or undervolting guide they will say the same thing about how it’s done, and it NEEDS to be followed. The reason I pair them in the same sentence is they are different sides of a coin, an overclock contains voltage tweaks.

The system is fully designed to handle sustained turbo boosts.

You’re completely missing what’s being said at the core of this.
I’m not arguing that enabling turbo boost will increase temps - of course it will.

what I’m saying is if you’re seeing throttling on the chip with turbo boost enabled and an undervolt applied, it’s because there’s a problem with you rig that needs addressing. And disabling turbo boost is just ignoring the real issue.

Hence going back to the original query.
The chassis is known to be reliable and has good cooling, yet with there being quite a number of machines out there that *do* have thermal issues which have either have had user replaced thermal paste or RMA's to do the same, and conversely a similar number that either haven't had any issues or haven't reported issues, then this is a QC issue at PCS.
If it isn't a QC issue at PCS then the cooling solution isn't adequate for the hardware or there's some other hardware factor that we aren't aware of.

In reply to your previous comment;
I *do* understand the implications of undervolting and overclocking.
The stock clock speed of the CPU in question is 2.6GHz.
Turbo boost *is* overclocking, albeit dynamic, to 4.5GHz. Having it enabled on this particular platform also allows the CPU package to draw well over its rated TDP which only exacerbates the thermals. If the power draw could be limited then you could probably leave turbo boost enabled and not have it throttle.
Disabling turbo boost isn't ignoring the issue, it's a software resolution to a hardware issue.
Boards and PSU rails are all important when over/under clocking and over/under volting... you can't take a CPU that is known to OC well at a particular voltage, etc. from one board and slap it into a different board and expect it to perform the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Recoil III and wouldn't change it for the world...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hence going back to the original query.
The chassis is known to be reliable and has good cooling, yet with there being quite a number of machines out there that *do* have thermal issues which have either have had user replaced thermal paste or RMA's to do the same, and conversely a similar number that either haven't had any issues or haven't reported issues, then this is a QC issue at PCS.
If it isn't a QC issue at PCS then the cooling solution isn't adequate for the hardware or there's some other hardware factor that we aren't aware of.

In reply to your previous comment;
I *do* understand the implications of undervolting and overclocking.
The stock clock speed of the CPU in question is 2.6GHz.
Turbo boost *is* overclocking, albeit dynamic, to 4.5GHz. Having it enabled on this particular platform also allows the CPU package to draw well over its rated TDP which only exacerbates the thermals. If the power draw could be limited then you could probably leave turbo boost enabled and not have it throttle.
Disabling turbo boost isn't ignoring the issue, it's a software resolution to a hardware issue.
Boards and PSU rails are all important when over/under clocking and over/under volting... you can't take a CPU that is known to OC well at a particular voltage, etc. from one board and slap it into a different board and expect it to perform the same.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Recoil III and wouldn't change it for the world...
I give up. I’ll let you carry on as you are, my advice was more aimed towards others who read this and look to doing the same. My advice would be to other that if you’re facing the same issues, get advice from forum members on how to address the cooling issues.