recommend me a monitor

Al.Neri

Super Star
I've had my pc for a while now, and it's about time I started looking for a dedicated monitor. I'm looking for something in the region of 26-27 inches, bigger than the norm I know, but my eyes aren't the best in the world, so....

it's going to be primarily a gaming monitor, but I do plan on using it to watch movies on somewhere down the line, not to mention the possible addition of an HD TV card to my computer in the not too distant future.

I'd also like it to be dual functioning, where I can have both my PC and my PS3 hooked up to it allowing me to switch between the 2 with ease.

I'm thinking I could put my budget up to £400-£500, but I'm not adverse to saving some money if I can.

any help would be appreciated.

Al.Neri

Super Star
thanks for the suggestion, tried looking for a bigger version, but there doesn't seem to be one, which is a shame. it would have ticked all the boxes for me had there been a bigger model.

davey

It has to be the Dell UltraSharp 27-inch U2711 @: 2560 x 1440,its a tad over your budget I brought mine for £629 in a sale(3 years warranty)and I'm very impressed with it, especially for games/films/and 2 full internet pages open side by side(u still have enough space to see your desktop icons also)

Al.Neri

Super Star
yeah, that is a bit out of my price range, shame really.

I have been looking around and I've found a few models. I uderstand response times and stuff like that, but not all the technical detail.

first one is this:

Ilyama PLE2710HDS-B

* Product Description: Iiyama Pro Lite E2710HDS-1 - LCD display - TFT - 27"
* Device Type: LCD display / TFT active matrix
* Colour: Black
* Built-in Devices: Stereo speakers
* Dimensions (WxDxH): 64.2 cm x 21 cm x 43.8 cm
* Weight: 6.9 kg
* Diagonal Size: 27" - widescreen
* Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch: 0.3113 mm
* Max Resolution: 1920 x 1080
* Video Format: 1080p (FullHD)
* Display Positions Adjustments: Tilt
* Colour Support: 16.7 million colours
* Image Aspect Ratio: 16:9
* Response Time: 2 ms
* Image Brightness: 400 cd/m2
* Image Contrast Ratio: 1000:1 / 20000:1 (dynamic)
* Digital Video Standard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI), High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI)
* Audio Output: Speaker(s) - stereo - integrated
* Signal Input: HDMI, DVI-D, VGA
* Compliant Standards: CE, TUV, ISO 13406-2, TCO Displays 5.0, PSE Mark
* Power: AC 120/230 V ( 50/60 Hz )
* Power Consumption Operational: 45 Watt
* Environmental Standards: ENERGY STAR Qualified

I know some people rave about ilyama, but I have also read a few negative reviews posted on a few message boards. anyone have an ilyama monitor that can give personal experience details?

Samsung P2770H

* 27" Wide Monitor
* Display brightness: 300cd/m²
* DC 70000:1
(Type. 1000:1)
contrast ratio
* 1920 x 1080 display
resolution
* Response time: 2ms
* 170˚ / 160˚
* Display colour support: 16.7million

depending on which site I checked, the response time for this model varies between 2ms & 5ms. checking samsung's site, it says it is 2ms, but on amazon and other online stores, they list it as 5ms.

LG M2753V-PF 27" LCD Monitor

*Colour Gamut 72%
*Colour Depth (Number of Colours) 16.7M
*Pixel Pitch 0.3114
*Aspect Ratio 16x9
*Resolution 1920x1080p
*Brightness (cd/m2) 400
*Digital Fine Contrast Ratio 50,000:1
*Response Time (GTG) 2ms
*Viewing Angle 170°/160°
*Surface Treatment 3H Anti-Glare

LFFPicard

Godlike
That P2770H Actually looks like the 27" version of my monitor.
I can highly recommend this monitor, it has a nice stand and astetics and have a nice tilt on it to adjust based on your viewing height.
The colour is also really good, with any montor using the quick options dont give as good a pitcure and tweaking, it only took me 5-10mins tweaking the settings to get the colour to match my already running 20" Samsung.

Very good monitor and as i said highly recommended.

Al.Neri

Super Star
that's one of the ones I am looking at getting, it doesn't have internal speakers though, so I'm not sure how the sound would play from my PS3.

also, reading some models, they have either DVI-D or DVI-I, what is the difference?

Al.Neri

Super Star
so would I need a DVI-I cable then if I was to purchase a DVI-I monitor, or is the DVI-D cable compatible with all types of DVI connections?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
DVI D cable will fit into DVI I socket,but not otherway round,so your ok.Might be DVI I cable supplied with monitor,so you could use that so long as your gpu has DVI I port.hope that makes sense.

Last edited: