Recovery

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I did see ASUS AI suite 3 inside the armoury crate to download. I’ll give that a try.
How would I do this inside the bios? Is that an F2 press at boot up? @NoddyPirate
The easiest is to restart the system and then press F2 repeatedly when the splash screen first appears.

Once you are in your BIOS you will see Q-Fan at the bottom of the main screen:

1619816566836.png

Click on the QFan Control button there and it will take you into the Q Fan settings.

AI Suite 3 contains the Fan Expert facility - which is a good bit easier to use. There is an extremely remote chance I think that one of your fans might not be controllable from within there and a BIOS setting might need tweaking, but we can cross that bridge if we come to it - which I doubt we will!

This is what Fan Expert looks like - when you open AI Suite 3, select the three lines on the left margin to find it.

1619816743225.png

Freshmeat

Bronze Level Poster
I just managed to get it running in silent mode - but as a result the bottom front panel fan isnt spinning.

However, when I go from Silent to standard, turbo etc the noise returns and I honestly don't think the sound should be like this. I have attached a video link of me going up through the sounds - starting with silent mode through to Full Speed then back to silent mode.

Should play directly in browser, I uploaded to dropbox. Let me know what you think @NoddyPirate

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I just managed to get it running in silent mode - but as a result the bottom front panel fan isnt spinning.

However, when I go from Silent to standard, turbo etc the noise returns and I honestly don't think the sound should be like this. I have attached a video link of me going up through the sounds - starting with silent mode through to Full Speed then back to silent mode.

Should play directly in browser, I uploaded to dropbox. Let me know what you think @NoddyPirate
Yes that doesn’t sound right at all. It sounds like something is impeding the fan blades themselves. You might have to have a look inside and make sure a cable hasn’t come loose in the vicinity perhaps?

Silent mode will enable the fan auto-stop function for some fans if it can. This means the fan will stop completely until the reference temperature (default is CPU) increases above a given threshold.

I wouldn’t use the default profiles as they aren’t very clever - but instead click on the individual fan profiles and adjust them yourself. Before you do - click on the Fan Tuning button (on the left hand side of my Fan Expert screenshot above) so that the software can figure out the full available range of control for each fan. Then set up your own curves and save them as a profile of your own.

BUT - you’ll have to figure out that noise first! A look inside to check for obstructions to start with.

Freshmeat

Bronze Level Poster
Thaqt fixed it thank you - i looked at the individual fan setting and it was set as auto fan stop. Now it's working. I actually think this was the setting all along as it was always this quiet until I did a windows recovery.

I'll check for loose cables also. Thank you @NoddyPirate

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thaqt fixed it thank you - i looked at the individual fan setting and it was set as auto fan stop. Now it's working. I actually think this was the setting all along as it was always this quiet until I did a windows recovery.

I'll check for loose cables also. Thank you @NoddyPirate
Your welcome. Fingers crossed you’ll figure out the strange noise....