Remove the battery and use the laptop?

FormidableRed

If I remove the battery from my laptop, and use it (it's pretty much plugged in on charge all of the time) will it cause any problems?

Or will it effect/damage the laptop?

DeadlyDisease

You can't use the laptop without the battery.
Also, you should be able to take it out if you see like a slide panel or something and you can just gently pull it out.
Make sure the laptop is off (of course) when you take it out.

Last edited:

FormidableRed

Well, you can use the laptop without the battery, if it's on charge.

I know how to take it out etc, I'm simply just asking if I do use my laptop without my battery and have it on charge while using it.. Will it effect/damage my laptop?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
It won't cause any damage to your laptop taking the battery out,some sources advise taking the battery out if using the laptop on mains for long periods,but it's also advisable to give the battery a charge every two or three weeks to save it going completely flat as that could possibly have a weakening effect on the battery.
I used a laptop myself for about 3 years without a battery.

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
It shouldn't.
Every laptop I've ever had has been able to get power solely from the charge cable with the battery removed.

but it's also advisable to give the battery a charge every two or three weeks to save it going completely flat as that could possibly have a weakening effect on the battery.
I agree with this, but would add it would be more like 2-3 months that you need to worry about discharging without use, not weeks.

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Every laptop I've ever had has been able to get power solely from the charge cable with the battery removed.

Yeah agreed, i usually have the battery out of my vortex laptop and it works fine. Its on 24/7 so i think that would be bad for the battery to be constantly on charge. Also found that the heat is reduced slightly as the heat from the load on the battery has been removed from the equation.

guartrainer

Yeah agreed, i usually have the battery out of my vortex laptop and it works fine. Its on 24/7 so i think that would be bad for the battery to be constantly on charge. Also found that the heat is reduced slightly as the heat from the load on the battery has been removed from the equation.

Just like to confirm SmokeDK's findings with slight temp drops on battery removal. I use my LT on mains all of the time, and my general temps from Speedfan (not under load) are now 6-8 degs. cooler since I removed my battery. Getting 4-5 on load.

Does anyone know if CLEVO (or PCS for that matter) do a battery compartment plastic blanking plate or cover? I think it might be useful so I'm not constantly putting my fingers into the vacant battery-slot when I have to pick the damn thing up!

guartrainer

A request:

Does anyone have a worn-out/broken Laptop Battery (w370bat-8) that they are considering for recycle that I could have/buy. The more worn-out and kaput, the better. Yes - I'm prepared to buy a worn out broken battery (!) if I absolutely have to (and will of course cover any postage/packaging costs in the uk in any case), but would be happier with a donation (for fairly obvious reasons). It's for a little modding project I'm considering off the back of this thread.

PM me if you can help, or are interested...

ta,
G.