Replacement Graphics Card > same problem.

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
PCS have diagnosed it as a faulty motherboard - report says faulty PCI slot but as the two were buggered I expect it to be a bit more than that in the final RMA report. Just waiting on a restock, then *hopefully* delivery of a month old kick-ass PC that turns on! ^.^ thanks to everyone for their input, the guys on these forums are top class *thumbs up*!

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
Well, the PC arrived and it turns on.

But the stuttering and buzzing noise are still here. I am at a loss of what to do as this happens in Windows which is bad enough. This makes games or programs unusable. PCS have said they did a 72hr test, but the computer required two hard restarts to even boot windows, then the half second stuttering / buzzing happened immediately even when changing the volume in Windows, so I find it hard to believe this was tested at all? Also when loading up Speedrunners as a test it stuttered / buzzed immediately so I can't see how this issue hasn't been picked up by PCS.

I've been using the monitor & the separate speakers with another computer and a PS4 so they are definitely not the problem.

I've now COMPLETELY deleted all the partitions on the SSD and installed windows from fresh to see if this would rectify it, as even though PCS said they would on the phone, they didn't do this and all the existing files were on the SSD & HDD - they just replaced the motherboard (I say again, the say advisor said they would format both which I was happy with).

My problem sounds very similar to whats happening here:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/29/windows-help/4150616/pc-keeps-freezing-and-stuttering/

The issue I have now is that windows can't find the network adapter because the motherboard drivers are not installed, and I don't have a disc drive to install them! I can buy an external one, but then what if that doesn't solve the issue? Another £25 quid wasted.

Does anyone have any idea how I can proceed? If I were to send it back this would be my 3rd RMA, and currently the PC is 40 days old and I've had possession of it for 30.

This is really getting me down.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Its a shame that these problems still persist. One thing I would suggest now is ensuring that graphics card, RAM and wireless card if you have one are securely in their slots. You may wish to reseat them completely. They might have come loose slightly during transit back to yours as it would seem that the problem was solved when in the hands of PCS.

Drivers should also be available on the PCS website. Just download them to another device and copy them over.

Also what are you using for audio? If there is only a buzzing from one output then that may help discover the issue.

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
I'll re-seat the GPU and RAM again when I can as im currently out of the house, thanks.

If I don't have access to the internet because the PC wont recognise the motherboards onboard network adapter (not using wireless) is it as simple as putting the folders downloaded on a pen from another computer and then copying / pasting over?

For audio I used external 2.1 speakers plugged into the motherboard and I tried brand new (1 week) HyperX Cloud Headphones in the front headphone port of the case - still get the buzzing at the same time as the stuttering every 20 or so seconds though both speakers and headphones.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
On your PCS account there is a driver section which should give you the appropriate drivers for the components in your PC. You can then download it from another PC and transfer it via memory stick or similar.

Have you tried running audio through HDMI from the graphics card? It may be a faulty sound chip on the motherboard, I had the same and had to get an external sound card as I was out of warranty I believe.

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
Right, I've downloaded those drivers onto a USB and will install later. Looks like BIOS update needs to be done using ASUS EZ FLash which I presume is easy to find / do, then I install the drivers.

I haven't, but the last RMA (from which i received the PC yesterday and had these same issues yesterday evening) was a motherboard replacement - brand new one, and the problem is the same on both. The previous motherboard was faulty through a PCI slot issue but I had this frame stuttering and buzzing issue with both of them. Thing is it's not only the sound. It's like the image and sound freeze for half a second then it makes a buzz at the same time.

If it's not a software issue which I hope to find out later the only things left that haven't been tested or replaced are the PSU, CPU, RAM, or SSD. Cant see it being the RAM as it does this even when at windows and SSD's and CPU's aren't known for being defective are they? I'm in no position to test the PSU.

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
Update.

I have done a complete CUSTOM clean re-install of Windows 8 onto the SSD removing all existing Partitions, and all drivers for the Motherboard, GPU etc. and have exactly the same problems that I first had. PC went to a black screen when updating to any of the Nvidia GTX 970 drivers and needed to be force restarted about 8 times to even turn it on. The first time i started it up it restarted 3 times on it's own before even loading bios / boot screen. PC will now go to a black screen when booting up and not display windows, just black. Again, if somehow miraculously the PC does make it to Windows (usually when the Windows error / startup repair screen comes on and I select "Continue to Windows" option) I'm stuck with the same issues as before.

When moving the mouse I get random stuttering and when using even the least demanding programs I get the freeze / stutter / buzz sound. Note that the DVI cable and the Headphones & Speakers (both create the noise) are hooked up to the PC separately, and this issue occurs for Image & sound at EXACTLY the same time, so this must be coming from the PC. These make any sort of application / game practically unusable even if the PC did reliably turn on.

Time to order RMA #3. I do not want to ask for a Refund but I don't know what else can be done.

The following things have been changed up until this point:
Numerous Complete clean Re-installs of Windows 8.1 and all drivers New & Old
RMA #1 - Graphics Card Replacement
RMA #2 - Motherboard Replacement
Cables, Graphics Card, and RAM have all been checked to be secure
Another Computer and a PS4 work fine on Monitor / Speakers / Headphones.
Individually deleted & installed ALLprograms (i hardly had any the PC being 3 weeks old when it was sent off

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I must admit its very strange and I'm completely unable to give any more advice to you. Is there something in your environment that may be affecting it which wouldn't affect their tests? A faulty or overloaded plug socket? Clutching at straws here really.

I'm sorry you have had such a poor experience so far and hope that can be changed.

Androcles

Rising Star
Hmn, is it overclocked? Last time I saw similar on a friends machine, turned out his overclock was unbalanced and not receiving enough voltage.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That's why I suggested that it may be a power issue, the plug may be unable to supply the high power required for the PC to even turn on.

samcol

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Guys,

Sorry for such a late reply, I got crashed into a week ago and only got home from the hospital last night (with a not so sexy neck brace for the foreseeable future).

PC was delivered this morning after 3rd RMA. Email from a technician says they think they sorted the problem - a faulty CPU. When he emailed me he said he was on the 173rd restart after installing a new CPU and hadn't had a single black screen
PC seems to be working perfectly as of now, but i can't help feel a little nervous.

Hopefully my luck is about to turn around...

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
Hey man, sorry to hear about your accident, hope your doing alight and recovering well.

Good to hear about your PC too.

Let us know how your getting on and with your PC when you see it again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Guys,

Sorry for such a late reply, I got crashed into a week ago and only got home from the hospital last night (with a not so sexy neck brace for the foreseeable future).

PC was delivered this morning after 3rd RMA. Email from a technician says they think they sorted the problem - a faulty CPU. When he emailed me he said he was on the 173rd restart after installing a new CPU and hadn't had a single black screen
PC seems to be working perfectly as of now, but i can't help feel a little nervous.

Hopefully my luck is about to turn around...

Sorry to hear about the accident mate, hope you're ok. I'm sure there's a way of making a neckbrace sexy... just no experience on how to do that, sorry :winkiss: Glad PC is better, touch wood it's truly solved the issue.