Replacing CPU Fan

Phete

I've just tried to replace my Titan cpu fan with a Noctua fan, however the Noctua fan won't work. It has a 4-pin attachment, which I've plugged into the correct pins on the motherboard, but the fan doesn't turn and isn't recognised by my computer. The Noctua fan is an NF-A9x14 PWM.

Any ideas on why it doesn't work? Or alternative suggestions for very quiet fans that will work? My motherboard is an 'ASUS® Z87M-PLUS' and the CPI cooler is a 'Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler'

Thanks.

steaky360

Does your computer start up when the fan is attached? Or does it boot to bios and 'complain' there is no CPU fan attached?

Does the fan work if plugged into a 3pin fan header?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
You will have to plug the 4pin connection into the CPU_fan Header, which is located near the top of the motherboard.

Phete

Thank you for the suggestions.

1. The computer goes into Bios mode and complains that there's no cpu fan attached.

2. I have plugged the fan into the CPU_fan header - where the other fan was plugged in.

3. I haven't tried plugging it into a 3 pin fan header. I'd assumed that as the CPU fan it should be plugged into the CPU_fan header.

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Can you plug the other fan back into CPU header and see if it works again? If it does then it's most likely the fan. You're right it should go in that socket - but (I believe) it will work on a 3-pin one too. I think Steaky is also trying to determine if it is the fan or the motherboard :)

Phete

The other fan works fine. It's just a bit noisy.

I've noticed that if I jiggle the wires the fan moves very slightly. I think it's marketed as a case fan, so I'm wondering if it's something to do with voltage?

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hmmm no it should work fine. I think it's a dodgy fan. When I first got my PC from PCS I had one CPU fan that wasn't spinning - it would judder slightly. They sent a replacement fan and it worked straight away.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
probably worth trying the noctua fan in a different 3pin connection will confirm if the fan is fault or not.

Phete

I've tried plugging the fan into one of the case fan connectors and it works fine. Presumably this means that this particular fan won't work as a CPU fan? It's a Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM.

Any suggestions for alternative CPU fans? I want something very quiet.

AAHALL

Enthusiast
the following link tells you that particular model is a case fan!

[links removed by steaky360]

if you you have a look at the following link it lists cpu fans

Last edited by a moderator:

Phete

Thanks - I did try and order the CPU version from another supplier, but they were out of stock. I thought a case fan might work OK.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Thanks - I did try and order the CPU version from another supplier, but they were out of stock. I thought a case fan might work OK.

nah mate, cpu fans need to be 4pin pwm fans. I'm sure you will be able to return it though.

Phete

The Noctua fan has a lead with 4 holes on the end attachment - doesn't this mean that it's a 4 pin fan? It's also a pwm fan. If I look at the online reviews it seems that other people are using it as a CPU fan.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
If it looks like this mate, then yes it should work as a cpu fan. And yes it is a pwm fan are you correct.

attachment.php

it does sound a bit strange mate, it should work as a CPU fan.

You could try returning it and asking for another.

Phete

If you go to the forum index, there's a green 'post new thread' button near the top left hand corner of the screen.

Phete

I've solved the problem, with the help of the (very responsive) Noctua customer services team.

The fan does work with the CPU but I needed to adjust the fan speed settings.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I've solved the problem, with the help of the (very responsive) Noctua customer services team.

The fan does work with the CPU but I needed to adjust the fan speed settings.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Good feedback + rep :)