Replacing fan LED's

tom_gr7

Life Serving
you could look at swiftechs 220mm aio coolers. they are rated very well but also designed to be expandable with water cooled setups.

Last edited:

Blackdog

Bright Spark
As someone who likes to busy themselves with small alterations to my PC when my budget doesn't allow for a big upgrade, I love things like this. Good for you. I've ordered some interior LED strips for the inside of my White Dragon Rider. Swoosh.

Corfate

Author Level
I am only having a laugh. LOL. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

PS I didn't just remove the edit. I removed the whole post as it became useless spam.

The Eco is old. It still does a good job. I have only heard of a handful bursting. I don't think though that I have heard of one bursting after the first few weeks though. As I stated in an earlier post they seem to be fine after a few weeks. Perhaps a manufacturing problem.

I am not overly familiar with the H100 although I have seen plenty going around. I have just read up on the performance and it looks good. Although if I had one I think I would change the stock fans.

I was given a Eco II a few days ago. It is the FB 45mm rad model. I was thinking about selling it (not plugging it) but I was also thinking of taking it apart and messing around with it adding a water / water heat exchanger and using the supplied 150 litres / hour pump and doing some tests with various other cooling methods. Like submerging the radiator in running water. Undersoil heat exchangers. etc. I have done some calculations and this could be an excellent efficient green way of cooling. All well and good but without checking it out would be very expensive. The Eco II would be perfect as a base for this. If it works well then perhaps upgrading and going full scale custom loop.

Yeah, i stuck two 120m typhoon's onto it, much quieter :)

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
I've had a thought, when I come to install my 2nd 200mm fan on the top of my case I will obviously need to connect it to a power source. Now, as I don't currently have a fan in that position there is no-where for me to plug it into, there are no more points on my mobo so I think I will have to come straight off the PSU, is that correct?

My side fan currently comes out of my PSU but it goes through some kind of adapter as shown in the pic:

IMG_1281.jpg

now there is a spare connection coming from my PSU but I would need another one of these adapters I think, so my question is...

Does anyone know what they are called? Can I buy one made up or do I have to make it myself?

Thanks

halox

Enthusiast
That's a molex adaptor. You have options. You can connect your fans to these. If you have a speed controller on your PC then you may want to run a few fans from the same power output on the speed controller. It is easy enough to make 2 and 3 adapters for this purpose. If you don't have a speed controller then you are just as well using a molex from the PSU.

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
Could anyone provide a link for me to buy one? The ones I'm looking at don't quite look the same...they seem to have an extra 4 pin female molex connector

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
yeah, it wont make a difference as long as the fans are 3pin connections.

Ah, that's good to know.

Daft question but if I connect 2 fans up to that adapter, will it cut down the voltage to 6V each, thus reducing the fan speed?

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
As someone who likes to busy themselves with small alterations to my PC when my budget doesn't allow for a big upgrade, I love things like this. Good for you. I've ordered some interior LED strips for the inside of my White Dragon Rider. Swoosh.

Just googled that case...looks pretty sweet, what colour strips are you going?

I wouldn't mind some for my case maybe, do they just connect to one of your PSU cables? And how do you attach them to your case? Just tie wraps or something?

Corfate

Author Level
Some run off of a molex connector, the same used for your fan, and I believe the NZXT ones comes with a PCI slot, which fits into the motherboard beside your gpu and allows for more control.

http://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/101-sleeved-led-kit-case-accessory

I have some of these in white. It just fits into the backplate, nothing actually goes into the mobo. It just has an on and off switch on it, and a slidy thing which goes from low, med and high brightness.

They're good, but ideally i need another set cause the case is quite big :)

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
I have some of these in white. It just fits into the backplate, nothing actually goes into the mobo. It just has an on and off switch on it, and a slidy thing which goes from low, med and high brightness.

They're good, but ideally i need another set cause the case is quite big :)

So do these take up the same slots as your GPU's?

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
My 230mm front fan came today :) and I've just got through installing it. lol I could slide the fan out of the side and was like "how the hell does this come out" then I realised, there are 2 flats on the side of the fan. Just needed to turn it 90 degree's and it slid right out :p

IMG_1300.jpgIMG_1302.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1300.jpg
    IMG_1300.jpg
    703 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG_1304.jpg
    IMG_1304.jpg
    791.2 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:

halox

Enthusiast
The other ones should be here any day now too eh? Should be good fun. I'll make a wee vid for you. It will also get me viewing figures on youtube.

crisis uk

Silver Level Poster
The other ones should be here any day now too eh? Should be good fun. I'll make a wee vid for you. It will also get me viewing figures on youtube.

Hopefully yeah, cant wait lol. Make sure to send me the video link once your done