RGB Fusion? More like RGB confusion!

Ascetic Focus

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

So I have a new rig with RGB on the three fans which come with the Corsair 4000X case.

I need a little advice on hardware set-up as I feel the guys at PCS may have wired the case fans incorrectly. It comes with three RGB fans each with 8-LED lights. Upon switching it on for the first time, I got the Rainbow pulse (spectrum travelling through all the fans bottom to top) and wanted to change this to the 'Rainbow Wave' pattern instead. I haven't been able to since!

The iCUE software doesn't detect the fans (nor does RGB Fusion, Aura and Mystic Light) - it does however detect the RGB logo on the ASUS motherboard, RGB on the RAM sticks and RGB on the H100i Elite LCD Cooler (which has an RGB ring around the screen and two radiator fans).

I opened the side of my PC and noticed only the cooler RGB and fan switches were plugged into the Commander Pro (which I believe comes with the cooler kit). The three case fans were plugged into the Lightning Node and then the three RGB wires for the case fans were going into a splitter which resulted in one 4-pin female plugged into the header on the motherboard (although on closer inspection, the 4-pin was actually plugged into CHA_FAN 2)

So what's going on here? I'm unable to connect anything to the RGB sockets on the ComPro as it's been stuck into the side of my case and is virtually inaccessible.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Hi all,

So I have a new rig with RGB on the three fans which come with the Corsair 4000X case.

I need a little advice on hardware set-up as I feel the guys at PCS may have wired the case fans incorrectly. It comes with three RGB fans each with 8-LED lights. Upon switching it on for the first time, I got the Rainbow pulse (spectrum travelling through all the fans bottom to top) and wanted to change this to the 'Rainbow Wave' pattern instead. I haven't been able to since!

The iCUE software doesn't detect the fans (nor does RGB Fusion, Aura and Mystic Light) - it does however detect the RGB logo on the ASUS motherboard, RGB on the RAM sticks and RGB on the H100i Elite LCD Cooler (which has an RGB ring around the screen and two radiator fans).

I opened the side of my PC and noticed only the cooler RGB and fan switches were plugged into the Commander Pro (which I believe comes with the cooler kit). The three case fans were plugged into the Lightning Node and then the three RGB wires for the case fans were going into a splitter which resulted in one 4-pin female plugged into the header on the motherboard (although on closer inspection, the 4-pin was actually plugged into CHA_FAN 2)

So what's going on here? I'm unable to connect anything to the RGB sockets on the ComPro as it's been stuck into the side of my case and is virtually inaccessible.

That's how it should be setup, you should see the Lighting Node pro in iCUE, if it isn't showing then check the connections from it to the MB USB header.

PyroAsh

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

Have a read of this thread, I had the same situation.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Yours is different as it was an H150i wasn't it? The H100i will be roof mounted so no stock fans will have been moved about

Ascetic Focus

Bronze Level Poster

Yes, I did come across this whilst researching last night - I see you were able to plug everything from the Lightning Pro into the Commander Core? Unfortunately, that's a no-can-do for me as PCS have placed it to the far left of the case, thus, blocking the RGB plugs from being accessed on the console.

I'll have to check out the wiring first (it's a complete jargon at the moment) and see exactly what is going where. It may just be the case that something isn't plugged in properly.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Yes, I did come across this whilst researching last night - I see you were able to plug everything from the Lightning Pro into the Commander Core? Unfortunately, that's a no-can-do for me as PCS have placed it to the far left of the case, thus, blocking the RGB plugs from being accessed on the console.

I'll have to check out the wiring first (it's a complete jargon at the moment) and see exactly what is going where. It may just be the case that something isn't plugged in properly.
Just move it ? Might mean a bit of cable management.

But as i say, sounds like your Lighting Node isn't connected as that should be showing in iCUE

Ascetic Focus

Bronze Level Poster
Just move it ? Might mean a bit of cable management.

But as i say, sounds like your Lighting Node isn't connected as that should be showing in iCUE

I have to mention however, even if I could attach the case fan RGB plugs into the Commander Core, the plugs actually seem too big (if that makes sense) - the fan plugs (currently connected into the Lightning Pro) are okay, it's just the RGB plugs.

I guess I may well have to take the Core out to see

Last edited:

PyroAsh

Bronze Level Poster
Yours is different as it was an H150i wasn't it? The H100i will be roof mounted so no stock fans will have been moved about
It was the h150 but they used the existing stock fans to blow through the rad. They used they fans that came with the cooler mounted on the roof and back as exhaust.
It's just strong double sided tape holding the commander on. I just about got away without having to move mine.
You will have to remove and replace some cable ties to get it all to reach properly.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I have to mention however, even if I could attach the case fan RGB plugs into the Commander Core, the plugs actually seem too big (if that makes sense) - the fan plugs (currently connected into the Lightning Pro) are okay, it's just the RGB plugs.

I guess I may well have to take the Core out to see
The RGB plugs should go to the lighting pro, the fan plugs go to the PWM splitter circuit board

Ascetic Focus

Bronze Level Poster
The RGB plugs should go to the lighting pro, the fan plugs go to the PWM splitter circuit board

I've just realised, there are two types of plug that come with the case fans - one is RGB, the other PWM. The thinner ones are RGB control whilst the thicker ones are PWM. In my case (pun intended), the three, thinner, RGB ones are actually connected into the Lightning Core (I assume this is what you meant by 'Lightning Pro'?) and the thicker ones are actually connected into a splitter which goes into the MB.

RichLan564

Bright Spark
I've just realised, there are two types of plug that come with the case fans - one is RGB, the other PWM. The thinner ones are RGB control whilst the thicker ones are PWM. In my case (pun intended), the three, thinner, RGB ones are actually connected into the Lightning Core (I assume this is what you meant by 'Lightning Pro'?) and the thicker ones are actually connected into a splitter which goes into the MB.
Sounds about right but, not 100% sure what the 4000x comes fitted with for fan RGB and the corsair terminology is confusing at best!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
so if you look at the commander core the RGB plugs for the fans plug into one side of it and the fan connections the other side

Ascetic Focus

Bronze Level Poster
so if you look at the commander core the RGB plugs for the fans plug into one side of it and the fan connections the other side

Update: I've just unplugged the three case fan RGB plugs from the Lightning Node and put them into the LHS of the Commander Pro (RGB Hub) and also put the three case fan PWM plugs into the RHS of the Commander Pro (FANS) and then turned my PC on...

So the three case fans are spinning but now there's no RGB! :rolleyes: even though the three case fan RGB plugs are plugged directly into the ComPro. One thing I didn't do however, was disconnect the Lightning Node... maybe that's why there's no RGB in those fans.

I also loaded iCUE and it still doesn't detect the three case fans

Ascetic Focus

Bronze Level Poster
And I've just cut another cable tie to see where the wires for the Lightning Node were going... one went to the power (SATA) whilst the other (USB) went off to the side to what looked like an extension to the Mobo (small circuit board about 1 inch x 4 inch).

So the USB wasn't directly connected into the Mobo...

Ascetic Focus

Bronze Level Poster
Right, so in my haste, I uninstalled iCUE and then upon reinstalling it, it's detected everything...

Well, almost everything. You see, I purchased a Cooler Master Support Bracket for my GPU and attached it (as instructed) into the Addressable Gen 2 header - I had it working for a while, in sync with the Mobo logo actually but now it's on solid green and no idea how to change it :D

Thank you all for your help btw :)