RMA Returned - Cooler position question

Madrugar

Hi all,

I've just received my PC back after submitting an RMA due to overheating. The cause was identified as cooler pump failure so I elected to upgrade to the Corsair H115i Capellix. I'm now concerned about the pump location in relation to the radiator, since I thought that if the pump was not positioned lower than the radiator this can lead to air in the pump and potentially damage it. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB530P RGB GAMING CASE
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
2TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
512GB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (upto 2300MB/sR | 1300MB/sW)
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
3x CoolerMaster MasterFan MF120R ARGB + Controller Kit
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Attachments

• pc2.JPG
    pc2.JPG
    327.2 KB · Views: 108

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah that looks terrible, the pump at the top of the loop is really not good for it's health. I would be moving that mate and contact PCS, they should know better

EDIT: Even more baffling it seems there is a mounting location above where its mounted that looks like it would be fine? Not sure why they would mount it like this

barlew

Godlike
Hi all,

I've just received my PC back after submitting an RMA due to overheating. The cause was identified as cooler pump failure so I elected to upgrade to the Corsair H115i Capellix. I'm now concerned about the pump location in relation to the radiator, since I thought that if the pump was not positioned lower than the radiator this can lead to air in the pump and potentially damage it. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB530P RGB GAMING CASE
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight Core Processor i9-9900K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache
ASUS® ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs - RGB Ready
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
2TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
512GB Intel® H10 NVMe SSD + 32GB Intel® Optane™ (upto 2300MB/sR | 1300MB/sW)
8x Slim USB 2.0 External DVD-RW
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
PCS FrostFlow 240 Series RGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
3x CoolerMaster MasterFan MF120R ARGB + Controller Kit
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
If I were you I would be mounting the radiator on the top vent.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Actually, would you have enough clearance with the RGB RAM for the rad and fans? That's a common issue in some cases, due to the height of RGB modules versus say the Corsair LPX.

Last edited:

Madrugar

I suppose like Steveyg mentioned, there seems to be a mounting location above where it's currently mounted, they could have at least positioned the radiator there.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
You can move it yourself mate, I had to move mine when I received my PC. It was front mounted and yeah top mounting it was tight but it fit. Had much better temps since and it's far healthier for the pump

I believe in that case it should all it to be top mounted with RGB RAM. Only one way to find out though and that's to try it

Madrugar

Thanks all, even just looking at it there wouldn't be enough clearance, well certainly not for the Corsair to be top mounted. The radiator and fans are just too big for the space I have. Still, it amazes me that they elected to mount the radiator where it is, given that the cause of the RMA in the first instance was pump failure!

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks all, even just looking at it there wouldn't be enough clearance, well certainly not for the Corsair to be top mounted. The radiator and fans are just too big for the space I have. Still, it amazes me that they elected to mount the radiator where it is, given that the cause of the RMA in the first instance was pump failure!
What would the rad and fan be touching out of interest, if top mounted? And if it can only be front mounted, could it at least be moved higher up in the case?

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
What would the rad and fan be touching out of interest, if top mounted? And if it can only be front mounted, could it at least be moved higher up in the case?
RGB RAM is a couple of mm taller than non RGB and in some cases the radiator and fans can't be top mounted because of those. They are just a tiny miniscule amount to big to fit together, it's pretty frustrating tbh and why I never spec RGB RAM just encase

The only way to know for sure it to try it.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
RGB RAM is a couple of mm taller than non RGB and in some cases the radiator and fans can't be top mounted because of those. They are just a tiny miniscule amount to big to fit together, it's pretty frustrating tbh and why I never spec RGB RAM just encase

The only way to know for sure it to try it.
Yeah I know that, I made the same point earlier. I was asking the OP what was blocking it, was it the RGB RAM or something else.

Madrugar

Yep, the RGB Ram is the issue, that being said, there is a front mounting position higher up where the radiator could be moved to. Not the best solution but certainly better than where it is now.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yep, the RGB Ram is the issue, that being said, there is a front mounting position higher up where the radiator could be moved to. Not the best solution but certainly better than where it is now.
Yeah it's fine front mounted as long as the rad is higher than the pump it's perfectly ok

I'd strongly recommend just moving it up yourself, it's a couple screws mate and little fiddly but it's easy done

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Would be much better mounted on top, it might claar the RGB RAM, maybe, just possibly, worth a try at least ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Madrugar

Just spoke to Tech Support and they said it couldn't be top mounted due to the RAM but are at a loss as to why they didn't use the higher mounting position on the front for the radiator. Thanks for all the help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just spoke to Tech Support and they said it couldn't be top mounted due to the RAM but are at a loss as to why they didn't use the higher mounting position on the front for the radiator. Thanks for all the help.
That's good you've discussed it with them, they can address training to prevent it happening again in the future.

Madrugar

So I opened the case front to see how the radiator was attached and unless i'm missing something, there are no higher mountings to move it up to? Contrary to what it looks like from the inside photo, it would seem that the radiator is already at its highest point.

Attachments

• front1.JPG
    front1.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Front2.JPG
    Front2.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 64