RTX 2080 Graphics card stuck on 300 on Octane VI

slippy88

Hi, I am having some issues with my graphics card, when I play warzone, I can see in control center the blue bar for the graphics card is stuck on 300, and this makes the game unplayable with low frame rate and lag.

I've updated the GeForce Experience Drivers
Checked for windows update
Restarted computer
Reinstalled Control Center

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Is there some software that can diagnose problems with graphics card hardware so I can rule that out ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi, I am having some issues with my graphics card, when I play warzone, I can see in control center the blue bar for the graphics card is stuck on 300, and this makes the game unplayable with low frame rate and lag.

I've updated the GeForce Experience Drivers
Checked for windows update
Restarted computer
Reinstalled Control Center

Anyone have any ideas what it could be? Is there some software that can diagnose problems with graphics card hardware so I can rule that out ?
Could you post your full specs from the order page?

Can you also post a screenshot of control center as I'm not sure what that 300 is in reference to?

Could you also upload a screenshot of your optional updates page from Windows update?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
By 300, do you mean 300Mhz? The only time I've had this with my Octane was when the power was unplugged.

slippy88

Attached

I am not sure if related but I installed windows 11 a few weeks ago and had some problems with the control center windows 10 version working. The support people gave me one to install which seems to work now but it was having problems too kept exiting on it's own when i opened it.

The control center 2.0 I have now is v1.0.65
Maybe there is another one that is better to use?

Another customer service gave me Control Center 3.1.39.0 but this one was useless, no fan control or core ratio control /undervolting

Attachments

• S1.jpg
    S1.jpg
    585 KB · Views: 20
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    500.3 KB · Views: 22

slippy88

This is what happens when I am in a game on Warzone. Stuck on 300, and temp on CPU is very hot, could it be throttling both of them?

Attachments

• COD.jpg
    COD.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 15

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is what happens when I am in a game on Warzone. Stuck on 300, and temp on CPU is very hot, could it be throttling both of them?
Yes it's definitely throttling.

That 300 is just the VRAM allocation. It won't load the assets because the CPU is thermal throttling and bottlenecking the system

Have you serviced it since you've had it?

slippy88

I sent it in in August 2019 for a repair, I think they would have changed the thermal paste then because to open it up the paste has to be disconnected. Are you suggested thermal paste change or some other service to check everything is working on the software?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I sent it in in August 2019 for a repair, I think they would have changed the thermal paste then because to open it up the paste has to be disconnected. Are you suggested thermal paste change or some other service to check everything is working on the software?
That's an awfully long time not to service it, you need to do it every year to keep temps manageable

Servicing means taking it apart, cleaning fans and heatsink fins and repasting the CPU. No need to do the GPU.

Last edited:

barlew

Godlike
As @SpyderTracks has said your system is throttling. However looking at your screenshots its not your CPU its your GPU.

Potentially it is heat related (and your laptop should have had a repaste on the CPU and GPU within the last 6 months) but considering the problems a lot of people have had recently, ref control center compatibility with W11, I would be leaning towards that rather than a heat issue.

A number of people including myself have received incorrect versions of CC recently, after upgrading to W11 and it resulted in the GPU power limits being locked drastically lower than they should be, resulting in the core clock being locked really low (and off the top of my head it was around 300Hz).

To rule out thermal throttling can you run Warzone with HWMonitor running and then take a screenshot of HWMonitor so we can see core clocks, for CPU and GPU, along with temps for both. Also could you install MSI afterburner and set it so that it displays the CPU, and GPU clock, temp, and power consumption and then take a screenshot in game with the MSI UI displayed so we can see the readout.

*Edit* - To clarify your CPU is definitely in thermal throttle territory so you should definitely repaste but it does not explain the low clocks on your GPU.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As @SpyderTracks has said your system is throttling. However looking at your screenshots its not your CPU its your GPU.

Potentially it is heat related (and your laptop should have had a repaste on the CPU and GPU within the last 6 months) but considering the problems a lot of people have had recently, ref control center compatibility with W11, I would be leaning towards that rather than a heat issue.

A number of people including myself have received incorrect versions of CC recently, after upgrading to W11 and it resulted in the GPU power limits being locked drastically lower than they should be, resulting in the core clock being locked really low (and off the top of my head it was around 300Hz).

To rule out thermal throttling can you run Warzone with HWMonitor running and then take a screenshot of HWMonitor so we can see core clocks, for CPU and GPU, along with temps for both. Also could you install MSI afterburner and set it so that it displays the CPU, and GPU clock, temp, and power consumption and then take a screenshot in game with the MSI UI displayed so we can see the readout.

*Edit* - To clarify your CPU is definitely in thermal throttle territory so you should definitely repaste but it does not explain the low clocks on your GPU.
Why do you think the GPU is throttling? It's on 40 degrees?

This is also a clevo chassis so completely different control center, it's not at all the same as the TongFang where it affects BIOS settings

If the CPU is thermal throttling it will completely halt passthrough to the GPU. That's why the VRAM allocation and usage is so low, because it's barely being accessed.

The CPU is at 44% utilisation and still on the cusp of thermal throttle, that's a major throttle, the whole system will be limited by the CPU safety mechanism at that much of a severe thermal limit.

Normally it would be 5 or 10% under max usage under throttle when you would need a repaste. 65% throttle is major. System won't be able to operate at all.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's no harm in repasting the GPU as well, although as this is a DTR, it's a modular MXM card, and they tend to be heatpads rather than paste in which case it won't need rapasting.

barlew

Godlike
Why do you think the GPU is throttling? It's on 40 degrees?

This is also a clevo chassis so completely different control center, it's not at all the same as the TongFang where it affects BIOS settings

If the CPU is thermal throttling it will completely halt passthrough to the GPU. That's why the VRAM allocation and usage is so low, because it's barely being accessed.
Yeh the temps are all good, I don't think its thermal throttling, I think its power limit throttling. It is supposedly at 100% utilisation but its only hitting 300Mhz. I appreciate the CPU is on the hot side but its core clock looks fine. I believe the CC is setting the PL for the GPU far lower than it should be just like we saw with TF.

I know the chassis is Clevo but (and I know this is an assumption) I assume the way they alter PL, Clocks etc is fairly similar.

If we can get screenshots for the further investigation it should clear it up.

barlew

Godlike
There's no harm in repasting the GPU as well, although as this is a DTR, it's a modular MXM card, and they tend to be heatpads rather than paste in which case it won't need rapasting.
Ah right. Thanks for the clarification I didn't realise the DTR's use pads.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know the chassis is Clevo but (and I know this is an assumption) I assume the way they alter PL, Clocks etc is fairly similar.
Very different on clevo, they don't adjust the PL through control center, they don't have boost settings, it's all done through normal windows controls which clevo ties into. PL's are static on clevo's.

The max setting is just the CPU and GPU allowed at full tolerance. Anything under that is just normal windows power settings.

On TongFangs it actually overclocks and underclocks which is a bit nuts really on a laptop.

To adjust the PLs on a clevo you have to use something like Throttlestop.

That's my understanding anyway, but again, I could just be very outdated.

Would depend on the age really. Not sure on the later Octanes but mine was/is definitely paste.
Was that on the MXM GPU? I'm so out of touch, I may well be wrong. I do apologise.

In that case, may as well repaste the GPU anyway, it's a win win.

barlew

Godlike
Very different on clevo, they don't adjust the PL through control center, they don't have boost settings, it's all done through normal windows controls which clevo ties into. PL's are static on clevo's.

The max setting is just the CPU and GPU allowed at full tolerance. Anything under that is just normal windows power settings.

On TongFangs it actually overclocks and underclocks which is a bit nuts really on a laptop.

To adjust the PLs on a clevo you have to use something like Throttlestop.

That's my understanding anyway, but again, I could just be very outdated.

So I can only speak for my Valeon and my old Vyper. They could overclock and underclock but by default they were not enabled. The way the max clocks were achieved was through hard setting the PL values at the BIOS level.

I never had to dig into this for any of the Clevo laptops I've owned as they just worked so I never had to do investigation haha.

My interest is officially peaked though. Hopefully the OP will provide the requested data for a bit of sleuthing.

slippy88

Screenshot 1 showing what happens when warzone is open and running.
Screenshot 2 showing what happens when Day Z is running, which seems to work fine.

Attachments

• SCREENSHOT_1.jpg
    SCREENSHOT_1.jpg
    998.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot 2.jpg
    Screenshot 2.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 7

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Screenshot 1 showing what happens when warzone is open and running.
Screenshot 2 showing what happens when Day Z is running, which seems to work fine.
It does look like both GPU and graphics are too hot, you need to start by cleaning and repasting.