RTX 3080

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Thats not good if we have multiple cases here?

It has cropped up on the interwebs that quite a few of the 3000 series cards seem to have coil whine. It's apparently quite common on high end GPUs and (conjecture) also the risk you take being an early adopter. Later generations in the series will probably have these problems ironed out.

zweenzta

Gold Level Poster
It has cropped up on the interwebs that quite a few of the 3000 series cards seem to have coil whine. It's apparently quite common on high end GPUs and (conjecture) also the risk you take being an early adopter. Later generations in the series will probably have these problems ironed out.
On the upside I am seeing a lot of replies saying it is going away over time and the same happened with 2080/1080 cards too

hobnobs

Gold Level Poster
I mentioned this on another thread yesterday but the videos below really helped me reduce my coil whine. I'm not sure there is much difference in coil whine between the 3080 and 3090 cards but I had a little and after undervolting I can barely hear anything.

It's really simple and the benefits of reduced heat, noise and power consumption massively outweigh the 1-2 frames you may lose

zweenzta

Gold Level Poster
I mentioned this on another thread yesterday but the videos below, really helped me reduce my coil whine. I'm not sure there is much difference in coil whine between the 3080 and 3090 cards but I had a little and after undervolting I can barely hear anything.

It's really simple and the benefits of reduced heat, noise and power consumption massively outweigh the 1-2 frames you may lose

Nice thanks dude!!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
On the upside I am seeing a lot of replies saying it is going away over time and the same happened with 2080/1080 cards too
Yeah, I think as the components age and 'settle in' it might ease off. I do agree that it's a pain, seems to be the exact frequency and pitch to drill a hole into your mind tank.

Is there any fix for it?
As frustrating as it is, it's not actually broken if that makes sense? The tips above this response, particularly on undervolting may help. If it's really ridiculous, like you can hear it from across the room, get in touch with PCS as it shouldn't be 'that' loud. The problem is, and I've had this before, now you've noticed it, you've NOTICED it and it's hard to tune out.

I mentioned this on another thread yesterday but the videos below really helped me reduce my coil whine. I'm not sure there is much difference in coil whine between the 3080 and 3090 cards but I had a little and after undervolting I can barely hear anything.

Thanks mate! Although it doesn't do it when in game or under stress, only when on desktop/browsing folders, Internet etc. Will try it all the same and see what happens after a few more checks. That's assuming it is the 3080 causing it (I have the Trinity version)

zweenzta

Gold Level Poster
Cheers, No, didnt get any free games actually. I dont even mind I didnt, just happy to have it
You should have got watch dogs with the 3080? What CPU did you get?

A friend of mine got a new rig (not with a 3080) this week from PCS and no games, but contacted them as the CPU was the same as mine. They sent him AC Valhalla then.

GarCul

You should have got watch dogs with the 3080? What CPU did you get?

A friend of mine got a new rig (not with a 3080) this week from PCS and no games, but contacted them as the CPU was the same as mine. They sent him AC Valhalla then.
I went intel. I'll fire an email off to them and see what they say

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
Just out of interest, and given the shortages of the 3080 since launch, do we know the numbers of units available on launch day compared to the number of people ordering them?

Just how badly have Nvidia ballsed this up, and why did they not see this happening?

zweenzta

Gold Level Poster
Just out of interest, and given the shortages of the 3080 since launch, do we know the numbers of units available on launch day compared to the number of people ordering them?

Just how badly have Nvidia ballsed this up, and why did they not see this happening?
I heard that the 3070 launch had approx 60000 orders and about 1000 units available on launch. Seemed like a legit source too

edit: globally

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

I doubt even Nvidea know the answer to that one