Salvaging the old PC...

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Given that my new PC is due to arrive next week - what do I do with my old PC?

If I were to salvage the old graphics card, a geforce 9300 GE - is there any point? Would it really make much difference when added on to the '4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 690' that my new one is coming with?

Also it has 4gb DDR2 RAM - I'm guessing that's not going to do much for my new DDR3 32gb RAM.....

I suppose the only thing salvable would be the hard drive, right?

Would it be best to just scrap the whole thing? Where could I get rid of it, or make money on it?

Thanks!

Do you think I could re-incarnate it into a multimedia centre?

Rakk

The Awesome
If I were to salvage the old graphics card, a geforce 9300 GE - is there any point? Would it really make much difference when added on to the '4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 690' that my new one is coming with?
Would make no difference at all.

Also it has 4gb DDR2 RAM - I'm guessing that's not going to do much for my new DDR3 32gb RAM.....
Correct, they wouldn't play together

I suppose the only thing salvable would be the hard drive, right?
That's normally the only thing I salvage out of old machines

You might be able to sell the old machine components somewhere, personally I never bother.

steaky360

*Cough cough* as Rakk says...

I don't think you could add your old graphics card to your PC bud. Same with the ram.
Hard drives should be easy enough to swap over.

If you want to sell it I would suggest eBay or gumtree.

Marks

Bronze Level Poster
Use it to store movies and play on your home tv/surround speakers.

Try XBMC.

You could use it to hold backups from your new pc as well.

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
I do this quite a bit, I salvage old PCs, do them up and pass them on. With yours, you can easily run Win XP and as the guys have said use it as a media pc. Or run linux, linux mint would fit well for you here. It'll be very fast and good fun! I then gave the PCs to various family members, your choice what you do with it though! You can always use it as a network server ;) ! Get a couple of big HDDs in it and attach it to your router. You can then access the files over the network!