Samsung G9 on order finally!!!

SiAdams

So, I've finally had some time this evening to play around setting up the monitor.

Now, initially it was on firmware version 1010 and it was configured to 240Hz without any flickering whatsoever. There was an issue in Windows desktop with the brightness, I had it set to Automatic where it only activates the Backlight Array when there's HDR content. Windows HDR settings just absolutely suck at the moment, so even though I had the windows display settings to HDR content, it wasn't recognising this and was automatically lowering the brightness level. At that time, I did have the option to just the Backlight Array to permanently on in the monitor OSD, but didn't actually play around at all with it.

I wanted to get it onto the latest firmware so found the download on Samsungs website on the display page / Support / Downloads section. There's a recent update to 1013 which apparently improves HDR colours, and from what I'm reading on Reddit and other places, it's a SIGNIFICANT improvement. BUT, there are a few people saying it's reintroduced flickering when setting 240Hz with HDR.

To update, initially I tried a generic USB, it found the .img file, but failed a few times reaching 16%. So luckily I had a decent high end Samsung USB which I tried and it worked first time.

So now, brightness is far better, no flickering, still no pops from the PSU. BUT, I currently don't have 240Hz as an option other than on the Display OSD. In both the windows driver and nvidia control panel, it maxes out at 120Hz.

So still need to do some further investigation.

I'm not worried quite frankly, I'll work around it. But I can understand why a lot of people just assume it's defective. It's not very user friendly, and issues like this should be far simpler for the user without needing so much troubleshooting. Doesn't put me personally off the monitor in any way, I actually get a kick out of troubleshooting, and the benfits of the display so far far outweigh the issues I've faced.
That's odd that it doesn't show 240hz on nvidia control panel. There is a driver to install on windows (apart from the firmware). Stupid question but thought i would mention incase you haven't installed it.

1640557310415.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's odd that it doesn't show 240hz on nvidia control panel. There is a driver to install on windows (apart from the firmware). Stupid question but thought i would mention incase you haven't installed it.

View attachment 31437
Yes, did install the driver on DP as well.

So the 240Hz driver option not being there is not an issue at all, it's a limitation with my GTX 1080 GPU.

It's only RTX cards that support Display Stream Compression (DSC) which is essentially a lossless compression format for transferring over DP 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 and above. It's yet another annoying factor in port naming, DSC requires dedicated hardware, so early 1.4 ports did not support it. Really they should have renamed it as at least DP 1.4a or something to decipher the difference, yet another example of confusing matters for the users.

HDMI 1.4 (which the 10 series have) natively (without DSC) only supports a max of 4k @ 60Hz, so it can only physically achieve 5120 x 1440 @ 120Hz max. DSC doubles the bandwidth by compression.

But that's fine with me, not a problem, I can't drive this monitor for mainstream gaming until I upgrade anyway, so this was pretty much expected.

D

Deleted member 41971

So, I've finally had some time this evening to play around setting up the monitor.

Now, initially it was on firmware version 1010 and it was configured to 240Hz without any flickering whatsoever. There was an issue in Windows desktop with the brightness, I had it set to Automatic where it only activates the Backlight Array when there's HDR content. Windows HDR settings just absolutely suck at the moment, so even though I had the windows display settings to HDR content, it wasn't recognising this and was automatically lowering the brightness level. At that time, I did have the option to just the Backlight Array to permanently on in the monitor OSD, but didn't actually play around at all with it.

I wanted to get it onto the latest firmware so found the download on Samsungs website on the display page / Support / Downloads section. There's a recent update to 1013 which apparently improves HDR colours, and from what I'm reading on Reddit and other places, it's a SIGNIFICANT improvement. BUT, there are a few people saying it's reintroduced flickering when setting 240Hz with HDR.

To update, initially I tried a generic USB, it found the .img file, but failed a few times reaching 16%. So luckily I had a decent high end Samsung USB which I tried and it worked first time.

So now, brightness is far better, no flickering, still no pops from the PSU. BUT, I currently don't have 240Hz as an option other than on the Display OSD. In both the windows driver and nvidia control panel, it maxes out at 120Hz.

So still need to do some further investigation.

I'm not worried quite frankly, I'll work around it. But I can understand why a lot of people just assume it's defective. It's not very user friendly, and issues like this should be far simpler for the user without needing so much troubleshooting. Doesn't put me personally off the monitor in any way, I actually get a kick out of troubleshooting, and the benfits of the display so far far outweigh the issues I've faced.

considering its a high end samsung flagship it sounds as if these little niggles should have been addressed at samsungs end rather than the users, still sounds a great monitor and for someone as yourself who has a wide array of technical knowledge these little issues are remedied, but for the average user who may have a less than ideal experience and maybe more of a concern to say content creators who could be wasting time rather than earning, Hardware unboxed basically said "we should not be doing your job for you (18.55)"

and final thoughts 17:05

SiAdams

That makes sense! I’m glad you’re not having some of the issues I initially had. Mine does pop and is still temperamental when I first turn it on. If I turn the monitor on first but then let it go into
Sleep mode prior to switching the PC on, the monitor connects. On the odd occasion it doesn’t but A restart soon sorts that out and it connects.

Like you have said, for these little minor issues it definitely worth it for the experience.

I have an older model so it sounds like the more recent models have ironed out most of the pre existing issues, which is great.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So it does appear that this monitor requires quite a bit of setup to get it as you need it, mix of the monitor settings a windows settings.

I set the brightness on the monitor itself to 50 bang in the middle, I found over that it over saturated and brought a blue hue which is what you'd expect really with too high brightness.

Then in windows settings / Windowsw HD Colour Settings I adjusted the HDR/SDR brightness balance up to full.

This is now far better balanced, the colours have remained accurate and are now popping through with the additional brightness but not being saturated.

I'm just downloading MasterChief collection, Black Mesa and Doom Eternal to get some game time on as haven't tried any gaming yet :eek:

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok so just had a quick bash on Doom Eternal which I didn't think would run as well as it was. Full HDR.

OMG! When I started the game up it's almost holographic at first while your eyes adjust to the curve, this may sound over the top but my brain felt like it was being sucked into the monitor.

Doom is intense at the best of times but on this? Ooooo I feel all funny!

D

Deleted member 41971

how are you getting along with your new love the G9?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
how are you getting along with your new love the G9?
I'm still loving it, haven't done that much gaming, but I'm surprised how well the GTX 1080 is coping with the resolution, I didn't expect it to be so performant.

I do have the sleep bug on my unit. It appears to be after a certain time, it just refuses to wake as normal and you have to soft power off via the OSD nipple, and power back on. It's a minor bug, but Samsung should really have addressed it by now a year and a half later.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just finally, I found windows HDR to be absolutely dreadful, and actually disabling it improved colours in windows.

I found this thread which I followed and installed a preset colour profile for the G9 from HERE from TFT Central which is an established profile site

This greatly improved the experience in windows navigation.

Games will automatically set full HDR as they're driven by the graphics driver.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Don't know if any other G9 owners have found this, but the last few days, my monitor has not been going into that unrecoverable deep sleep anymore. Even when left for 12 hours + in sleep it's recovering as it should be.

The only update I can see that's applied is "February 8, 2022—KB5010342 (OS Builds 19042.1526, 19043.1526, and 19044.1526)" on the 9/02/2022

I wonder if it was a windows issue after all.

The only other thing I can think is I did wake up one night and there was an on screen message saying it was about to turn off and go into deep sleep, and I cancelled out of it using the OSD nipple, perhaps that has prevented it going into that deep sleep mode.

Last edited:

SiAdams

Don't know if any other G9 owners have found this, but the last few days, my monitor has not been going into that unrecoverable deep sleep anymore. Even when left for 12 hours + in sleep it's recovering as it should be.

The only update I can see that's applied is "February 8, 2022—KB5010342 (OS Builds 19042.1526, 19043.1526, and 19044.1526)" on the 9/02/2022

I wonder if it was a windows issue after all.

The only other thing I can think is I did wake up one night and there was an on screen message saying it was about to turn off and go into deep sleep, and I cancelled out of it using the OSD nipple, perhaps that has prevented it going into that deep sleep mode.
I haven't had chance but i will check this out tonight and let you know! Good news if this is the case

steaky360

Just a heads up all you owners, there's a new firmware version 1015.2 just been released:

No idea what's changed yet as no accompanying changelog.

Remember, the USB needs to be formatted as exFAT for it to be read.
And the monitor's USB > PC Cable needs to be removed for it to work :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's quite late in the day and I'm sure any people with this monitor have found their workarounds for it now, but just in case thought I'd add this.

My trusty Samsung USB key that I previously updated the firmware on this monitor unfortunately fell apart.

I bought another high end Samsung USB 3.1 key but it actually wasn't recognised by the monitor no matter how I tried.

From various hunts around the web, I actually found multiple owners of the G9 stressing the reliability of this specific model of USB key, but to actually format it as FAT32, and then extract the firmware zip directly onto the USB so it's a "virgin" copy that's not been moved at all.

They were spot on, this usb is being recognised every single time without fail.

It's the old SanDisk USB 2.0 Cruzer Glide 16Gb. As it needs to be FAT32, 16Gb is the largest you can get without repartitioning it and the monitor still recognise it.

I found a good ebay seller who has a stock of refurbished ones. Verified clean, although if you do get one, I'd recommend the very first thing you do is format it just for best practice security.

It was £4.27 for a 16Gb INCLUDING delivery and I've just got it set aside just for the monitor. Very handy.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just a necro moment, worth letting you know if you own an original G9

The latest firmware version v1019.0.... WOW, what a difference to general HDR performance, even in standard windows desktop, the whole monitor is blazing. Would highly recommend. I still can't test it in full 240Hz mode yet (limitations with current GPU), so can't comment on scan lines or stuttering at full pelt

steaky360

The latest firmware version v1019.0.... WOW, what a difference to general HDR performance, even in standard windows desktop, the whole monitor is blazing. Would highly recommend. I still can't test it in full 240Hz mode yet (limitations with current GPU), so can't comment on scan lines or stuttering at full pelt

Added a reminder to check this out later in the week!

Cheers for letting us know :)

SiAdams

Just installing it now 😜

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For any of you intrigued, I've been after a desk mount for this beast since I bought it. Using the stand, the monitor takes up most of the desk, and I'm keen to reduce that.

Did a load of searches and there is only one that comes fully recommended which is the Ergotron HX WITH the HD Pivot Mount (without that particular mount, it's not strong enough to hold the monitor)

But if you look online it's a crazy expensive mount.

I'm feeling too cheap for that, so I've taken a risk and ordered one from Amazon which suggests it's compatible up to 49" up to 14Kg for curved monitors (the G9 is 14.1Kg) and it's gas enhanced. There is one person saying it works with the CRG9 which is a bit lighter without stand, but I'm hoping it may be enough for the G9, will let you know.

It’s sold by Amazon EU so returns should be simple if it’s not strong enough.

Is anyone else using a desk mount? If so what make and model is it?

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
For any of you intrigued, I've been after a desk mount for this beast since I bought it. Using the stand, the monitor takes up most of the desk, and I'm keen to reduce that.

Did a load of searches and there is only one that comes fully recommended which is the Ergotron HX WITH the HD Pivot Mount (without that particular mount, it's not strong enough to hold the monitor)

But if you look online it's a crazy expensive mount.

I'm feeling too cheap for that, so I've taken a risk and ordered one from Amazon which suggests it's compatible up to 49" up to 14Kg for curved monitors (the G9 is 14.1Kg) and it's gas enhanced. There is one person saying it works with the CRG9 which is a bit lighter without stand, but I'm hoping it may be enough for the G9, will let you know.

It’s sold by Amazon EU so returns should be simple if it’s not strong enough.

Looks good, I know its not easy finding something that will handle the weight sometimes, that was one of the problems i had when sorting something for the Berserker monitors

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Looks good, I know its not easy finding something that will handle the weight sometimes, that was one of the problems i had when sorting something for the Berserker monitors
It’s all down to the weight really isn’t it, and when they’re curved, it increases the load on the mount point.

Fingers crossed it’s a decent brand and they’ve under stated the rated load by a fraction.