Scones- Cornwall vs Devon

MrWilson

Godlike
On placement and one half of my hosts are from Devon. We’ve been talking about clotted cream and the subject of scones came up. She is adamant about having a cream tea the Devon way, with the clotted cream on the bottom and the jam on top. All my life I’ve had scones the Cornwall way, with jam on the bottom and clotted cream on top.
Not sure if we have anyone on here from the South West of England, but would love to hear which way you all prefer your scones, and explanations why you like it that way round.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don't think it really matters as it all ends up in the same place............................

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I cut the scone in half, put jam on one side, cream on the other, stick it back together.

Then I can choose to take a bite with cream or jam on top by simply turning the scone over.

Still don’t know why Ben & Jerry’s haven’t made scone, cream & jam ice cream yet (although I did like the home-made rhubarb compote & custard ice cream I tried a while ago).

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
She is adamant about having a cream tea the Devon way, with the clotted cream on the bottom and the jam on top. All my life I’ve had scones the Cornwall way, with jam on the bottom and clotted cream on top.
It’s amazing how some people get really aggro about this! Maybe it’s my working class northern upbringing but I’ve tried both ways and… they tasted exactly the same to me.

You should mess with their heads by breaking some paradigms with outside the box thinking. Tell them you eat your scones the Harrow way; you don’t cut the scone in half, you just smear cream around the rim and place a teaspoon full of jam inside your mouth prior to each bite.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
So whats the difference between a Barm cake and a Stottie.......................... :ROFLMAO:
Ahahahaha, I see what you’re trying to do there! But much like a good defence lawyer, it’s a different kettle of fish and I can dissect this.

Barm is simply our preferred name in the northwest for a bread roll. Stotties are a northeast thing and a different entity, the dough is only proved once so they end up as dense little hefty balls of carby goodness. I assume the geordies invented them for two reasons:

1) As a source of low maintenance, high energy sustenance.

2) Projectile weapons should the Scots try to invade.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Anyway in reply to the OP :)

You cut a scone into two halves. Do it the undecided (I suppose you could say county border) way. Cream then jam one half, jam then cream the other half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Neither.

Scone doesn't have an 'm'.

...and I pronounce it as if I was saying "It was here, now it's gone" - so "s'gone" not' "sk'own".
It's so much easier in Greek. A scone is a pita (πίτα) - which is also used for any pie or cake. However, they do also use tiganita (τηγανίτα) - which is used for pancake, waffle, crumpet, etc. and could also be used for scone.

The clever thing about Greek is that little accent (it's called a tonos). It tells you which vowel to stress in the pronunciation. This can be important, μαλακά means softly, and is used for a type of soft cheese. On the other hand, μαλάκα is a rude word..... :oops:

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The whole debate about jam or cream first really annoys me. It is a question of supreme unimportance. If people want to debate it, that's fine, but I just want to enjoy my afternoon tea without someone questioning me about the significance of the way I'm eating it.

So, for me, the best way of eating a scone is increasingly "in silence".

(I'm not a grumpy old man, honest.)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The whole debate about jam or cream first really annoys me. It is a question of supreme unimportance. If people want to debate it, that's fine, but I just want to enjoy my afternoon tea without someone questioning me about the significance of the way I'm eating it.

So, for me, the best way of eating a scone is increasingly "in silence".

(I'm not a grumpy old man, honest.)
Ooooooh. [emoji15]

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I prefer an Eccles cake (filo/puff pastry)...
Eccles-cakes-photo-2.jpg

...or a Chorley cake (shortcrust)...
chorley-cake-617dc9f7-9170-40cd-ad59-2c13a879f87-resize-750.jpeg

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
I find the Cornwall method is the most practical. It's just a bit easier spreading a dollop of Cream on top of a layer of jam than spreading a layer of jam on top of a dollop of cream.

I quite often get grief for my pronunciation as (i was brought up with sc-own). My standard response is that 'Sticks and stones may break my bones....' .

Bigfoot

Grand Master
With a scone it is butter first, then jam and finally clotted cream (preferably Cornish), but I don’t recommend this for a cheese scone.

If you live near Perth (the Scottish one) it will be pronounced scoon