Scones- Cornwall vs Devon

The whole debate about jam or cream first really annoys me. It is a question of supreme unimportance. If people want to debate it, that's fine, but I just want to enjoy my afternoon tea without someone questioning me about the significance of the way I'm eating it.

So, for me, the best way of eating a scone is increasingly "in silence".

(I'm not a grumpy old man, honest.)

Paulbax

Silver Level Poster
On placement and one half of my hosts are from Devon. We’ve been talking about clotted cream and the subject of scones came up. She is adamant about having a cream tea the Devon way, with the clotted cream on the bottom and the jam on top. All my life I’ve had scones the Cornwall way, with jam on the bottom and clotted cream on top.
Not sure if we have anyone on here from the South West of England, but would love to hear which way you all prefer your scones, and explanations why you like it that way round.
As a Devonian I hate to admit it but I do the Cornish method... mainly as I like lots of clotted cream. The Devon way is actually more logical as the cream essentially replaces butter as the adhesion method as per any normal sandwich.
And I say scone (rhymes with bone). I saw a documentary a while back which said the scone itself originated from up north or maybe Scotland???

MrWilson

Godlike
8567F711-7045-4788-ADB3-3C98E61C7091.jpeg

So after some experimentation, I’m still undecided about which order is superior.
However, both methods make a rather delicious treat so will have to keep doing repeat experiments in the future…

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
View attachment 27623
So after some experimentation, I’m still undecided about which order is superior.
However, both methods make a rather delicious treat so will have to keep doing repeat experiments in the future…
stick the pair back together...............................problem solved......................... where's the butter

Bhuna50

Author Level
stick the pair back together...............................problem solved......................... where's the butter

Can’t do that as still no symmetry there. The argument will turn to which way up does it go.
Scone
Jam
Cream
Jam
Cream
Scone.

Or

Scone
Cream
Jam
Cream
Jam
Scone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Can’t do that as still no symmetry there. The argument will turn to which way up does it go.
Scone
Jam
Cream
Jam
Cream
Scone.

Or

Scone
Cream
Jam
Cream
Jam
Scone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Once it'[s stuck back together, give it a good squeeze and pop it in your mouth, problem solved

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Scone, butter, jam, cream, jam, cream, jam, butter, scone. You could omit the middle layer of jam, but then there would only be one cream layer.

MrWilson

Godlike
As a young child, dad used to make ‘croissant pizzas’ for me and my sister. Slice a croissant in half, spread ketchup on, add ham and cheese and grill in the oven.
Now that I’m older I must apologise to the French people rolling in their graves.