Second computer?

Corfate

Author Level
Since im getting my new PC, what do you people out there suggest i do with my old PC? I was thinking of using it to gain a knowledge of how components in a PC work, so i could take them out, put them back in etc and not worry about breaking my new one.. ;) This would also help me gain the skills needed for the future if i needed to upgrade my new computer :)

Another idea is hooking it up to my Television and using it as a DVD player.. As i currently don't have one :stupid:

All ideas welcome :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you don't need it anymore then it could be used to have a fiddle with inside. Learn how everything slots together etc.

Most people just bin them, sell them or give them away. What i intend to do is keep every pc i buy so that in 10-20-30 years we can all laugh at how slow the one from the year 2000 is.

Probably not much help, but thats what im doing anyway.

Corfate

Author Level
If you don't need it anymore then it could be used to have a fiddle with inside. Learn how everything slots together etc.

Most people just bin them, sell them or give them away. What i intend to do is keep every pc i buy so that in 10-20-30 years we can all laugh at how slow the one from the year 2000 is.

Probably not much help, but thats what im doing anyway.

Im not interested in binning it, i might also use it to back up data or something.. Still unsure though..

I think i might do the same with you there.. 30 Years time, 100GB RAM as standard? ;)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
well there are a few things you can do, occasionally people just take it apart etc, but i like the idea of a media PC, perhaps purchase a large drive, install linux then download the DVD ripper from the store, then you have them all in a few clicks. Then you can use the other drive in your new PC if you wish

there is no point using it as JUST a DVD player, you may as well take advantage of a few other things that it offers, it would be great to try linux as well, that will give you some experience with different software to windows

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Im not interested in binning it, i might also use it to back up data or something.. Still unsure though..

I think i might do the same with you there.. 30 Years time, 100GB RAM as standard? ;)

Well Windows 7 Ultimate can utilize up to 192GB of RAM

Petchi b

I think I will be selling bits from my old to comp to try and get some money back. Not everything is worth selling though..some parts are just straight for the bin!

Anyone interested in a DELL 24" Widescreen monitor or a couple of NVIDIA 7900 GTX's??? :)

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
Tempting to go for a Media PC, but it'd need more RAM and possibly a new graphics card :/

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
it wouldnt need a new graphics card most likely, just make sure there is nothing running whilst playing and perhaps disconnect from internet, then also remove every unnecessary program, including anti virus, after doing one more scan of course

Corfate

Author Level
it wouldnt need a new graphics card most likely, just make sure there is nothing running whilst playing and perhaps disconnect from internet, then also remove every unnecessary program, including anti virus, after doing one more scan of course

Maybe a cheap graphics card would stop it freezing like i said in my last thread? What are the advantages of Linux over windows?

Corfate

Author Level
I already have windows on this though, so with it being free, it's not really much of a bonus for me ;)

I'll take a look into it :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
yes, im guessing you probably have no more than 200GB, which wont get you far if you want to store all your DVDs at high quality, but you can upgrade to a 1TB or more to give you plenty of storage space

onlynik

Enthusiast

I have recently put in some kit with 48GB RAM. Standard kit we put in has 24GB RAM.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would stick with your first idea & tinker about with it
get yourself a computer repair tool kit with an antistatic wristband,
you'll be an expert in no time:)

Corfate

Author Level
I would stick with your first idea & tinker about with it
get yourself a computer repair tool kit with an antistatic wristband,
you'll be an expert in no time:)

Yeah, i think i definatly am going to :) I've got one on order from Amazon, just waiting for it to arrive :)! Where do i attach the wristband? I heard onto an unpainted surface of the computer case?

Edit: I also know i need to get a can of compressed air to remove the dust (I opened it up yesterday.. Literally caked in dust) but i was wondering, if i held it over the bath, and blew into it, would this remove a large amount of the dust? Also, how important is removing dust?

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Switch off the psu but leave plugged into the wall socket but also switched off there and connect the crocodile clip of the strap to the bear metal chassis.
I made mine so it plugs straight into wall socket,but I'm not recommending you to do that.
Very important to clean out dust,use Compressed air and a natural fibre (non synthetic material paintbrush)

Last edited: