Shall I return this laptop due to temps??

OneZeoN

Enthusiast
I would phone them and explain the situation again and ask politely but firmly for either a cancellation or replacement.

If they argue you could point them at this very thread / their own forums because as Oussebon says, there have been other reports of the 17" model having similar/the same issues.

Ultimately the device doesn't appear fit for purpose and it falls on the seller to prove otherwise.

Thanks

They said today it's finally with a technician so should be "fixed" shortly.
I'm happy enough (I think) to let them return it to me and I'll test it to make sure I'm happy with temps.

If I see ANY overheating I'll be 100% be returning and demanding a different model

Roley4498

Hey, could you post on here how long it takes them to fix and return it?
I'm having issues with mine too (same model and CPU) and would also like to know if they'll let you change to a different chassis if you request it.

OneZeoN

Enthusiast
Hey, could you post on here how long it takes them to fix and return it?
I'm having issues with mine too (same model and CPU) and would also like to know if they'll let you change to a different chassis if you request it.

Hi

Laptop has been "fixed" and delivered tomorrow. It took just over a week.
When I'm home from work I'll be testing it and if all is well I'm happy to keep it.

If temps still to high then I'll be demanding full replacement on Monday morning

Hopefully all settled now

OneZeoN

Enthusiast
Ok NOW I'm ****ed off!!

Laptop came back today and just tried it
It's literally impossible to play any games with the show down and stuttering

Temps still got to 86 degrees so a little lower but they've gimped something so much it's like a slide show!!!
Calling PCS first thing in the morning and speaking to a [removed by mod] manager :mad:

They CLEARLY have not even loaded a game up yet they "tested it" and no throttling
They even asked what games I play so they would load them up...they 10000% didn't.

I'm demanding a flipping refund or a new system totally.
Refuse to send away again to be lied to

Seething

What's my rights!?
Laptop is now 24 days old yet most of that has been sat with PCS ffs

Edit - This is what they apparently did to the laptop...
Fault Report
I have completed the RMA of your system. I have isolated the thermal issue and have taken several steps to reduce the operating temperature of the CPU.

I removed the thermal paste from the CPU and applied our extremely high end liquid metal thermal compound. This is approximately 10 times better at conducting heat than traditional thermal paste. I have also used the installed XTU (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) to apply a -0.1V offset to your core voltage. Together this allows the CPU to maintain much higher boost clocks without throttling back due to thermals.

To ensure that the system would remain boosted to an acceptable speed I placed the system on an overnight stress test. This test passed without issue and the CPU maintained a high boost clock throughout.

I am now happy to return the system to you.

It's crippled it so I'm done.
Was 12 days old the day I created the return....un acceptable and refund or full exchange is all I'll take. Arrgggg

Last edited by a moderator:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Have you checked CPU and GPU temps and clock speeds while under gaming load? To see where the poor performance this time is coming from?

And just to rule out the really obvious, you've:

For laptops:
Try setting the Nvidia GPU as the preferred graphics processor in the global settings, and in the app settings you can also add individual games and set a specific setting for those
http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answer...ow-to-change-nvidia-optimus-graphics-settings

For laptops and desktops:
And set the Windows Power Plan to High Performance:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/778-power-plan-settings-change.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/292971-pcie-link-state-power-management-turn-off-windows.html

And set the GPU power settings to max performance:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...ent-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

I'm not suggesting it's an issue at your end, just putting a couple of things out there in case there's an easy-to-spot cause.

OneZeoN

Enthusiast
Have you checked CPU and GPU temps and clock speeds while under gaming load? To see where the poor performance this time is coming from?

I'm not suggesting it's an issue at your end, just putting a couple of things out there in case there's an easy-to-spot cause.

Thanks ill check those things this morning.

When gaming instead of constant cpu temp throttling it's now saying something like it's being power limit throttling.
Plus its still spiking the cpu temp so that throttles every 5/10 seconds

OneZeoN

Enthusiast

OK changed the settings you've posted and games are running well now.
But when I check Intel Extreme Tuning Utility thermal throttling is spiking up and down constantly.

Just ran a 30 min cpu stress test where thermal throttling AND power limit throttling are on and off all the time.
Is it worth undervolting the cpu or just calling PCS and saying I'm done??

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
OK changed the settings you've posted and games are running well now.
But when I check Intel Extreme Tuning Utility thermal throttling is spiking up and down constantly.

Just ran a 30 min cpu stress test where thermal throttling AND power limit throttling are on and off all the time.
Is it worth undervolting the cpu or just calling PCS and saying I'm done??

The Defiance V does seem to have thermal issues, there are at least five threads on here complaining of overheating with that model. In my first post in this thread (#7) I suggested that you send it back. I still think you should do so.

That said, it's a laptop. Throttling under heavy load is a feature of many high-end laptops, they just can't get rid of the heat. That may well be by design.

OneZeoN

Enthusiast
The Defiance V does seem to have thermal issues, there are at least five threads on here complaining of overheating with that model. In my first post in this thread (#7) I suggested that you send it back. I still think you should do so.

That said, it's a laptop. Throttling under heavy load is a feature of many high-end laptops, they just can't get rid of the heat. That may well be by design.

Is there a better 17" model PCS do that doesn't have the heat issues??

Roley4498

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date, very unfortunate you're having these issues. I will be requesting a refund or a new chassis now. What's the point in paying more for a better CPU if it'll be nerfed anyway. Literally wasting our money.

Stephen M

Author Level
You will not get an i9 with it but the Octane, desktop i7, is an excellent machine, I have had two and no heat problems.

paulturner-hill146

My octane runs fine if you don't mind fan noise. Playing ghost reacon on ultra settings and temps are around 70 to 74 degrees with back of laptop slightly raised. I could get them lower if I activated full power on the fans but the sound annoys my family when they are around as I use my laptop in the dinning room. Yes they are that loud.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
My octane runs fine if you don't mind fan noise. Playing ghost reacon on ultra settings and temps are around 70 to 74 degrees with back of laptop slightly raised. I could get them lower if I activated full power on the fans but the sound annoys my family when they are around as I use my laptop in the dinning room. Yes they are that loud.

Unfortunately I think this is par for the course with a gaming laptop. I don't believe you can have a thin, light, powerful, and quiet gaming laptop.

Stephen M

Author Level
The Defiance is a lot slimmer than the Octane, so that will not help heat issues. I remember when the Octane was first launched PCS dropped the top end CPUs for a while because of heat worries. The Defiance may be a laptop CPU, whereas the Octane is a desktop but I think it is quite a job to get decent heat control in a smaller chassis, the Defiance is 16mm slimmer.

I expected fan noise when I got my Octanes but it is worth it for the performance, although I would not want to use one without a cooling tray, they do not do a lot but do help.

paulturner-hill146

The fan noise is a compromise I was more than willing to make knowing it's a desktop CPU.

As for a cooler I've ordered a SilverStone SST-NB05B cooler. I didn't want a cooler that raises the front of the laptop too high and this cooler will not do that.

OneZeoN

Enthusiast
The Defiance is a lot slimmer than the Octane, so that will not help heat issues. I remember when the Octane was first launched PCS dropped the top end CPUs for a while because of heat worries. The Defiance may be a laptop CPU, whereas the Octane is a desktop but I think it is quite a job to get decent heat control in a smaller chassis, the Defiance is 16mm slimmer.

I expected fan noise when I got my Octanes but it is worth it for the performance, although I would not want to use one without a cooling tray, they do not do a lot but do help.

What cooling tray do you use??

paulturner-hill146

Have you tried testing temps with the laptop raised off the surface to allow better airflow? From what I've read about coolers the most you'll get is about -2 to -6 degrees if you're lucky. If you're looking to cool down your laptop -10 degrees or more I think you'll struggle unless you sit your laptop on top of a air conditioning vent.

Hmmm air condition laptop cooling pad, I wonder.

Edit: I came across this article of the best and worst coolers. One claims to lower internal temps -30 degrees but that sounds too good to be true.

www.laptopmag.com/articles/best-laptop-coolers

Last edited:

OneZeoN

Enthusiast
After testing all afternoon I'm thinking the laptop is ok

Using intel utility it's temp while gaming is 85 and says its cpu throttling...but while im gaming I dont see any slow down or low fps.

And looking around im seeing a lot say anything under 90 is ok with these chips and if you don't see any issues in games then throttling isn't to worry about.

Hmmmm been playing PUBG, Wreckfest, FIFA,PES 19 demo,Insurgency and few others and all are running well so thinking these temps are ok??