Should I buy windows or transfer it from another computer?

rir

So I'm buying a new pc and am wondering if I could save some money by not buying another copy of windows.
I have a computer (the one I'm currently using) with windows already installed. I've looked into it a bit, but I still don't really understand how it works. I'm also wondering what happens to windows on the previous computer if I use it to transfer to the new one.

Bhuna50

Author Level
You would have to be 'retiring' the old licensed version on that machine and no longer use it.

If it is Windows 10, then you will likely now have a digital license saved to your Microsoft account - this could then be transferred to your new machine when you receive it - but as I said, you then could not use Windows 10 on your old machine - you would have to revert to another licensed version of an OS, be it Windows or something else.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Have a read of this, it explains everything really well

rir

Ok, i guess I'll just buy a new copy since I'm probably going to find a use for the old computer.
Thanks for the help.

Bhuna50

Author Level
Have a read of this, it explains everything really well

LOL - there I was searching through the other forums as I knew I'd seen something like that....must have had a really bad day to forget there is a knowledge section LOL :D :D

Ram

I've not bought a new mobo for a few years. An IT support friend mentioned alot of mid to high end mobos have a Win 10 license on the mobo, is this true ?
What brands ? Asus .. ?
Thanks

Last edited:

Bhuna50

Author Level
I've not bought a new mobo for a few years. An IT support friend mentioned alot of mid to high end mobos have a Win 10 license on the mobo, is this true ?
What brands ? Asus .. ?
Thanks

I expect what your friend meant is that when you buy a machine from PCS with the Windows licence already that this is coded into the Bios so that if you needed to do a clean install etc then Windows would look there to show that it was licenced and not require the user to enter a 2,560,352 digit code in to activate LOL :D

Reactions: Ram

DarTon

Depends on what the old PC will be doing and the cost of the new license. If the old PC is just doing basic stuff (surfing web etc) then you can transfer the license to the new PC and install Linux on the old one for free.

Ram

Mobos don't come with a windows license.

Licenses are often bundled with new computers but never components.
I expect what your friend meant is that when you buy a machine from PCS with the Windows licence already that this is coded into the Bios so that if you needed to do a clean install etc then Windows would look there to show that it was licenced and not require the user to enter a 2,560,352 digit code in to activate LOL :D
Got it ,that makes sense.
I knew this as in the past to buy a Windows OEM disc for £50-70 less than RRP ( if memory serves ), you had to buy hardware with it .

But seeing many motherboards over £300, I thought could this include an oem version of Windows ?
Thanks for the reply 👍

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Got it ,that makes sense.
I knew this as in the past to buy a Windows OEM disc for £50-70 less than RRP ( if memory serves ), you had to buy hardware with it .

But seeing many motherboards over £300, I thought could this include an oem version of Windows ?
Thanks for the reply 👍
As said, components don't come with windows license, only full computers.