SkyFire - no sound

jamhod

Hi,

A strange one this. I cannot get any sound from the onboard speakers or via external ones. Laptop has volume set to full, Device Manager is showing High Definition Audio Device which is enabled, volume mixer isn't muted and actually thinks it's playing sound as the VU meter is moving. Despite all that I cannot get any sound from the machine.

My brother has also bought this same model laptop and has exactly the same issue.

Any pointers are gratefully received.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Check the device is set as default,
right click on the speaker icon in the right corner of the taskbar/ select playback devices,
right click on device/set as default.

Last edited:

jamhod

Thanks for the reply vanthus.

I've done as you've said, but this device (Digital Audio S/PDIF) is already set to default. It is strange as you can select to test it here, see the VU meter move but there just isn't any sound.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
have you tested a headset or speakers in the laptop, you may need to do what vanthus suggested but for the headset/speakers

jamhod

Thanks for the prompt replies, it's much appreciated.

I initially hooked up some speakers via the headphone jack but no sound output still and nothing else is listed under playback devices. I connected a pair of USB headphones up and they did appear as a device and sound is piped through them when set as default. The big mystery is where are the onboard speakers in all of this, as well as why I can't output sound via the headphone jack (not so important).

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Sounds like a lack of a driver somewhere to me, I am afraid I don't know how to fix this though, sorry! I am sure vanthus will be back with the correct answer, he usually does!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Try right clicking on device thats showing/click show disabled devices & show disconnected devices,
does anything else appear then?

jamhod

It certainly was a driver issue, I stuck the driver CD in and installed Realtek Audio Driver and after the reboot it was working. Looks like it wasn't installed by PCS, but then my brothers machine wasn't configured correctly either. He didn't have his second hard drive partitioned and formatted, so it wasn't showing in My Computer. I'll advise him what to do to get the sound working.

Cheers for all the help, you're all stars :)

Music Guy123

Prolific Poster
Haha, thanks for the rep! I am quite surprised, I am rarely able to get technical problems right, I think this is my first time I have diagnosed something correctly!