Slight noise from inside my PC

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
For a while now theres been a slight 'humming' noise from inside my PC. It seems like a tiny loose screw or something similar vibrating. If i put a small pressure on the top of the case the sound dissapears, but returns fairly quickly.
Iv read up a little on this and often is a screw a little bit loose, but i dont have a anti-static wrist strap.

any ideas wheres best to start 'tightening'?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Don't underestimate the importance of antistatic precautions,at least ground yourself first,even if it's just to a metal part of the case,the slightest discharge could brick your motherboard.

Last edited:

Buzz

Master
Don't underestimate the importance of antistatic precautions,at least ground yourself first,even if it's just to a metal part of the case,the slightest discharge could brick your motherboard.

fully agree with that. last thing ya wanna do is touch something n fry it..is iit maybe the front drive bay covers maybe he noise.i would try pinpoint the location's of the noise rather then going at them all

mishra

Rising Star
It could be something as simple as case not properly closed. I would check first if each side is properly screwed and also that case is standing on flat surface. If you are saying that touching the case is fixing the noise its most likely one of the fans causing it to start to "vibrate" a bit. Maybe temporarily put your case on something soft... like towel just to find out if it's not rubber case feets causing it? Maybe your case is spreading vibration to your desk, etc...

If not, ground yourself to remove electrostatic (it is a bit overatted - I almost never do it, and in past 15years working with PCs never managed to fry anything - tho it is a good practice so do it!)

If checking case does not fix your problem, I would disconnect all fans (but leave CPU fan operational ofcourse) and then check if problem persist. In my case it turned out to be hard drive causing such noise, so moved it into a different slot (with additional rubber grommets) and problem was fixed - my friends case was also making such noise, but turned out it;'s case was touching his desk and that was the culprit, moving it 2cm left fixed everything.

Generally speaking, relax take your time and do not rush... working with PC is a very simple process - just make sure you do not force anything and you will be fine.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Ok iv been monitoring it for the last few days and im 99% sure its the top of the case thats making the noise (rather than any internal parts). When i remove the top part of the case the noise is never there.

Any ideas how to fix this? Like i say, applying a small amount of pressure on the top seems to stop the noise for a while, but it usually comes back after a while.

Karnor00

Bright Spark
Well, as a ghetto fix maybe you could put something heavyish (preferably rubbery or plasticy) on top of the case to apply the pressure for you?

I know my microwave makes a nasty noise if there is nothing touching the side panel (because it vibrates). So I just put my rice cooker up against the side and no more noise :)

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Haha as much as that may work, id rather not have a heavy item resting on the top of my case :p

Any other ideas peoples?

deh-cheesekake

Bronze Level Poster
I found that when on the server list menu in the game minecraft, my PC would make a hum that would then go away once I connected to a server or closed the menu. You could be experiencing a similar thing with a different game or situation

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Unfourtunately mine comes on randomly, when im playing skyrim and when the computer is just idle! il leave the room for like 20mins come back and its 'humming' loud, bit of pressure on top and hey presto the noise is gone again!
Just cant think of a way to solve it :(

Buzz

Master
Is your comp totally flat? if it is a little off it could end up vibrating. An old comp of mine did that exact thing. Every now and then I would hear a humming sound if I pushed the right side of the case a little at the top to straighten the comp just a fraction the noise stopped.

So in the end I got a strip of wood and placed the computer on that to level it out. No more humming. The comp was on the floor though. Not sure how yours is set up.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Interesting idea buzz, my pc is on my desk which is in turn on the floor :p assuming the floor is level id hope that the desk is aswell! i have a spirit level somewhere, il dig that out at some point!