So guys how do i format a harddrive?

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
since clicking on format... just comes up with You do not have sufficientrights to preform operation -.-

installed a new harddrive and needs to be formatted... have tried these work arounds

ubuntu is taking ages to download... apparently 6 weeks -.-

someone told me to try this
You can try enabling the built-in admin account as below:

Enable built-in admin account

==============

1. Click Start, click "All Programs", please find and open "Accessories" folder.

2. Please right-click on "Command Prompt" item and select "Run as administrator".

3. Please type the following command line in to the coming window.

net user administrator /active:yes

Note: There is a space between "Administrator" and "/active:yes".

4. Log off and log on the Administrator account and try

super admin account my arse... -.- yeah that didnt work had the same permission problem

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have you tried turning off UAC.
go to control panel/user accounts/change user account control settings,then put the slider to Never notify,reboot.

luksta

If you want to just clear everything download a program called kill disk. I've used it a few times and it has full instructions on what to do. That should get around the admin problem because it kicks in before windows.

BAD SANTA

If you want to just clear everything download a program called kill disk. I've used it a few times and it has full instructions on what to do. That should get around the admin problem because it kicks in before windows.

Exactly this.
Or you can use a program called Dban they both do the same thing and completely remove any trace of anything whatsoever.
These programs are what forensic experts use to destroy sensitive material. Your hard drive will be cleaner than when you first bought it lol.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
vanthus i've already tried that one, didn't work :'(
trying killdisk... using the free version at the mo... (taken 5 hours.... 2 hours 11 minutes left) is the pro one any faster? or worth getting

also has anyone else ever get a problem like this?

ps. things were easier in 2005 ;(

Killdisk didnt work, did i mention how much i hate computers?

break-computers-i-hate-computer-6-reasons.gif

unledlhq.jpg

it shows up in the disk management thing but why wont it let me access it >.<

Last edited:

paddyc

You could have had a virus on your computer, my gf had a similar kind of admin problem. I ended up using "malwarebytes" program.
Another thing you could try is reformatting your hdd from the command line.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
I'm about 99.9% sure that i don't have a virus on my pc, (lol there's a reason i went with an iphone, ahem, anyways...) But i'm currently running every virus scanner under the sun...

ps. is the command line... FORMAT "drive letter":\

later that day...no viruses found
meanwhile... i'ma just go cry and dye my hair black

in the kitchen...okay so the drive shows up in disk manager and device manager, and i'm assuming that the q drive in my computer is the new harddrive... but it still wont let me fomat it? -.- was there something i should of installed (software wise?)

ps. the harddrive i got was the 2TB caviar black... :'(

pps. my light keeps flickering :'(

stress.jpg

Last edited:

paddyc

Yer thats the right command you should run it from the root folder.
The fact that you dont have permission to format your hdd suggest that some form of malware has been able to affect the permissions of your account.
try this http://www.malwarebytes.org/ you can download a trial version.
If all that fails then its time to take out the hammer.

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
i've been staring at that screen since friday lol, never thought of doing that lol.........

laughing%20gifs.gif

THANKYOU YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I know you won't believe me,but I was just about to suggest the same thing as Gorman,
thank goodness the master is back,sanity has been restored.