Soec for gaming/multi-media PC

LoopyElf

Hi guys,
Been browsing the forum for the last few days and picked out a lot of advice and I've come up with the below spec for my new PC.

I want the PC to last me a few years and it will mostly be used as a gaming rig and a multi-media server. I've changed a few things from my first attempt a building up a spec - dropped the idea of SLI 2x GTX460s, downgraded on cooling, dropped sound card... I've gone with the 850W PSU to enable the possibility of adding another 470 at a later date.

I'm quite happy with the current spec but any feedback/advice would be most welcome.

Cheers.

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 932 FULL TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory (RAM)
6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card
1280MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX470 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 + MAFIA II
Free Item
FREE MAFIA II Game (RRP: £34.99) with a qualifying GTX 4xx Series GPU!
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
2nd Hard Disk
1TB WD CAVIAR GREEN WD10EARS, SATA 3 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 850W PSU (TX850) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£99)
Processor Cooling
TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£39)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Office Software
NO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 13 working days
Quantity

Price: £1,141.00 including VAT and delivery.

Rakk

The Awesome
Unless you're planning on overclocking the CPU you probably don't need the 1600MHz RAM, the Samsung 1333MHz should be fine.

If you're planning on adding another 470 later, you may want to up the power supply, but not sure on that, someone else who knows better than me can probably either confirm or deny that :)

Slurpak

Silver Level Poster
looks like a very nice spec. i agree with rakk, you should take the ram down to the samsung 1333MHz, as there will be no noticable difference unless you overclock.
an 850W PSU should be fine if you want to add a second GTX470 in the future. also the standard CPU cooler is fine unless you want to overclock.
changing the ram down to 1333MHz and getting rid of the CPU cooler will save you money you could spend elsewhere in the system or if you wanted, you could put the saved money towards a fast track delivery, as they are quite busy atm?
if you intend to overclock then you will need to keep the CPU cooler and the RAM as they are.
nice choice on the 64mb cached drives, sleinous will be proud.

Last edited:

LoopyElf

Thanks for the replies :) As suggested I'm dropping to the 1333Mhz memory. As for the CPU cooler, I guess I'm just rather taken by having a wolf in my PC... :D How loud is the standard fan? I don't want anything too noisey... Having said that I'm not intending to OC; would it even be worth considering that?
I'll also be adding an extra HDD and an extra optical drive to the PC; is that likely to require any differences in what I've spec'ed?

LoopyElf

Thanks all! Rep distributed. Just placed my order - bit of a scare though as the first time there was a server error but turned out it went through... :S Cancelled it in 'My Orders'...

Since my first PC back in 1997/8 this will only be my second built by someone else... In the end I just dropped to the 1333mhz memory and left everything else as is - I figured if I did go for OCing somewhere down the line I'd much rather change a few DIMMs then a CPU fan. £1099 after taking voucher off.

LoopyElf

After spending what seemed like forever in pre-production my PC is now in Quality Control. Whoop! Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week... *fingers crossed*
:)