Some questions regarding the Corsair 600t case

Voices

Hey,

I am currently saving up for a new computer. My budget will be around £1000-1500. Unfortunately I will have to wait until the end of January before I will be able to place an order, meaning that I have ample time to change my mind again and again...

Out of all the cases availiable (at the moment) from PCS, I like the Corsair 600t the most. I think the outer design is very aesthetically pleasing and from what I can understand from various reviews, the inner design is good both for cooling and cable management.

There are some things I am a bit uncertain about, however, hence this post and the following questions.

(a) In the end, I think I will go for an i7 with the future option of adding a second graphics card. Will that be of any concern for the 600t, being a mid-tower? I am thinking here of space for a suitable cooler as well as room inside for two graphics cards?

(b) Is the Corsair 600t a case that will last me for many years to come if I decide to upgrade various component, or should I rather go for a bigger case from the start?

(c) I have heard that there is a second generation 600's coming (I think I even saw a link here somewhere, but have searched in vain for it). Any ideas if/when this is out and whether PCS will sell it?

I think those are my initial questions. Any advice would be appreciated!

Voices

Agreed, that review is pretty damning for the Corsair 600t case in terms of its cooling properties. Makes you wonder, though, why they would make a case that is THAT bad in terms of its cooling performance, and it makes you wonder again why PCS would decide that this is the Corsair case to market for the people.

I am not too fussed about the comments about the plastic parts in this review (and in other reviews). I am happy to hear more about this case, should there be more knowledable (re-)views out there :)

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Well I guess Corsair just assumed that people who wanted to run hot hardware would be using after-market coolers and either adding more fans or replacing the stock ones. Corsair only has 3 cases out in the market and the other two (700D and 800D) are far to big for the packaging PCS uses. While it may not be very good at cooling it does have very good cable management, is built to a high quality and is one of the largest mid-tower cases available so it does have it's advantages.

I've read other reviews of the case on different websites but they're either comparing it's cooling performance to pretty bad cases making it look better or they just kind of ignore it. I've heard about overheating problems with SLI'd GTX470's and GTX480's but most other setups should be ok.

Gorman

Author Level
This case has no worse cooling than others in its class.

It is a brilliant case, if i did not already own the 800D then this would be my first and only real choice.

The build quality is excellent.
The cable management is the best in its class, nothing else comes close.
The aesthetics please me (subjective).
The options for watercooling are without match.

The claim that this case doesnt cool well is odd, to say the least. Its a conservative and solid design, no doubt if it had 100 noisy fans and grills on ever panel (see HAF, Antec 900 / 1200, Maelstrom etc) it would cool better on air.

Its a case for enthusiasts, who would never consider for even a second running on stock fans, or even on air at all.

I find it very hard to believe that people are genuinely suffering from overheats caused by the case, i have run an overclocked I7 rig with a GTX280 (best availiable at the time) fully loaded in an air cooled Sileo 500 and not had heat issues.

Voices

Thanks for comments :)

Thought I might add this review here in order to balance the view regarding cooling and other features: http://www.vortez.co.uk/articles_summary/corsair_graphite_series_600t_review.html

Also, I am choosing between the cases available at PCS at the moment. If I had the option to choose any case whatsoever, I think I would go with the Corsair Obsidian 800d. Maybe that will be available later on or maybe I can make some sort of deal with PCS, who knows :)

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
This case has no worse cooling than others in its class.

Pretty much every single other well built case in that price region beats it in cooling (not including those crazy enough to modify their case with water tubes/pipes) even cases £45.00 cheaper than it have much better cooling (fractal design define r3 for example). I'm not saying it's a bad case but since not everyone will modify it then it's quite an important issue. You can read posts about over-heating on various forums including Corsair's own support forums.

Gorman

Author Level
This

903782-a.jpg

Is the Antec Skeleton, it cost around £130. It has awesome air cooling.

Quite possibly the worst case ever made, ever.

Cooling and how people fail to understand or implement it correctly (see the forums you mention) are a tiny tiny almost insignificant aspect of a case.

You can get cheaper cases than the 600T that have better stock air cooling, and most of them suck.

The 600T is no worse on air than the other cases in its class, i know this for a fact as all i have to do is walk a few feet to see most of the cases in that class lined up side by side, all running similar hardware on air and oddly enough, all showing similar temps that are affected more by room temperature than the case they are in.

I can count on one hand the amount of RMA's we have seen where overheating has been caused by anything other than:

1. Dust and debris blocking air flow
2. Coolers not making contact or poor TIM contact
3. Fans just stopping

Rakk

The Awesome
Ah, that looks like the case Jay had, was wondering if it was an actual case or something he'd created :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Quite tricky to forget that, my thoughts at the time were, 'That cant be a case, they must be seeing how gullible I am' :)