Sound Card Advice

Mingin

I'm contemplating buying a new system and trying to keep costs down wherever I can. Primary purpose is gaming. I was wondering is there much point to purchasing even a low range sound card over the standard in-built one if I will be primarily using a headset with the machine and not speakers?

Gishank

Bright Spark
To be perfectly honest with you I don't think there's any noticable difference between most onboard sound cards and seperate standalone cards..

Meds

Onboard Soundcards are a hell of a lot better than what they used to be and do give a quality audio output. However, saying that they still aren't as good as dedicated soundcards. If you can fit one into your budget then there is absolutley no reason not to have it :)

dontsimon

I'm contemplating buying a new system and trying to keep costs down wherever I can. Primary purpose is gaming. I was wondering is there much point to purchasing even a low range sound card over the standard in-built one if I will be primarily using a headset with the machine and not speakers?

There's a budget SC about to be released which has you exactly in mind - Asus Xonar DG. Dolby Headphone, 5.1 and headphone amp. Less than £30.