Soundcard Issue

L3ander

Yesterday whilst online my soundcard ceased to work. I have a creative soundcard installed at at present it is not recognised by the system and does not appear on the list of devices.

When I attempt to launch the associated software, I get the message - the audio device supported by this application is not detected.

Any help would be welcome

Thanks

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
First try reinstalling from software disc or manufacturers website,if no joy check sound card is seated ok & there is no loose connection to it.

pengipete

Rising Star
Can you clarify - the sound card had been working, software and drivers installed etc but it suddenly stopped working and disappeared from Device Manager?

Can you also tell us what sound card, connection type (PCI, PCIE, USB etc), driver version and operating system you are using - just in case there's a known problem?

For now, assuming that the card worked and you had the right drivers for your OS, a couple of things spring to mind. The most obvious would be a loose card or dirty connections - try removinging and reseating it and maybe cleaning the card's connects (rub them gently with a regular white eraser to remove any grease) - or a conflict if your board also has on-board sound. If it does, you may need to disable the onboard sound in BIOS - that may be enough to make your card reappear. Also, if the card requires it's own power connection - many do - make sure that it is properly connected.

If nothing there helps, try removing it and then uninstalling any software and drivers. Use the regular Windows uninstaller and then download and reboot and run the Registry section of CCleaner at least twice (because some elements are not removed until others have been by a previous sweep). This will help if the drivers/software themsleves have become corrupt. After that, powered off and reinstall the card. When Windows loads, let it find drivers automatically (you may need to run Windows update manually if you have switched off automtaic updates). If the card is physically detected by the motherboard, this will ensure that manufacturer's drivers can find the device later. Assuming that Windows recognises the card, let it finish installing and then reboot, test the sound card is working and install the manufacturer's driver.

Let us know how you get on, there may be other ways to help.