space & universe and civilisation thread

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The word 'revolve' implies that the Earth is a spheroid, so this will also upset the flat Earthers. And that's a good thing! :ROFLMAO:
Anyone that’s ever read any Terry Pratchett will know this is the earth

IMG_0345.jpeg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Well if there are little yellow men, why not little green ones, and who built the pyramids.....
In all seriousness, they just found a site as advanced as the mayans but pre dates that period by a significant margin. We didn’t know of any civilisation at this point previously. It’s mind boggling

Think very recently they’ve found scans through satellite laser imagery that backs up this theory but it’s all very new

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
In all seriousness, they just found a site as advanced as the mayans but pre dates that period by a significant margin. We didn’t know of any civilisation at this point previously. It’s mind boggling

Think very recently they’ve found scans through satellite laser imagery that backs up this theory but it’s all very new

Free Animated Homer Simpson Gifs at Best Animations

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I know, right? You really do start to wonder. Quite frankly, it's only since the Victorians that we've really caught up to ancient civilisations technologies which is incredibly recent.

homer is open to all possibilities, what's always intrigued homer is what created the universe, afterall, you cant have something from nothing, i.e. if it was the theory of the big bang then what happened to make that a possibility, what created space, cannot have been always there as something cannot be from nothing surely. Really boggles the mind.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
homer is open to all possibilities, what's always intrigued homer is what created the universe, afterall, you cant have something from nothing, i.e. if it was the theory of the big bang then what happened to make that a possibility, what created space, cannot have been always there as something cannot be from nothing surely. Really boggles the mind.
I love all this stuff. And the idea of the universe always expanding.... expanding into what? As you say, there has to be something for it to expand into.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I love all this stuff. And the idea of the universe always expanding.... expanding into what? As you say, there has to be something for it to expand into.

i love the idea of an alien or advanced civilisation billions of lightyears away looking at us and thinking "Jesus Christ they still have hammers and cars and houses, I mean, how longs this been?"

i like this idea

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
taking inspiration from the one liners thread where there has been a really interesting discussion of the world and space, homer thought to create a specific thread for this topic, seems really interesting, would @SpyderTracks be able to transfer this topic from the one liners to this thread?

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
then theres this theory

This interests homer for the reason that as a species our computing power keeps increasing at our basic evolving human level, now, there has been talk of a possibility of using something like a simulation to have a one to one reconstruct of every person in a particular place, simulating that on the screen and then running different sceneries to see how people react virtually, not quite the sim theory but interesting anyway.

Simulation theory says that we are all likely living in an extremely powerful computer program, directed by an entity outside of our physical comprehension. In this situation, humans are not necessarily “real” and tangible beings, but instead predetermined, coded constructs of the digital world we inhabit. Living in a simulation can be likened to living in a gigantic game of The Sims, except we ourselves are the characters inside the screen.

If we live in a computer simulation, then who is the programmer? Swedish philosopher Nick Bostrom contends in his 2003 paper that future generations might have mega-computers that can run numerous and detailed simulations of their forebears, in which simulated beings are imbued with a sort of artificial consciousness. Odds are, we are products of that simulation, and we may not be the original species of humans.

Interesting when you consider we as humans are becoming more meshed in the digital world via computers, smartphones, watches, potential to be smart homes, smart cars then more powerful VR etc etc.