space & universe and civilisation thread

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more intelligent creatures than humans on earth, when you consider that 70%of this planet is covered by oceans and we've no idea what lives in the depths of them...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I wouldn't be surprised if there are more intelligent creatures than humans on earth, when you consider that 70%of this planet is covered by oceans and we've no idea what lives in the depths of them...
I'm also a big fan of alternate dimension.

We have zero understanding of time

I also don't believe death is the end, all life is based on energy that circulates through synapses, the "soul" to some, I don't believe that energy just evaporates on death, I fully believe it just gravitates to the nearest available circuit, weather that's back into the earth, or a part of another dimension.

On that front, there's been new research into energy signatures in plants when threatened with fire, they literally freak out. Our assumption that plant matter is not intelligent has to be vastly floored, they're so intelligent in how they grow towards light and propagate.

We think we're all knowing as humans, it's one of our biggest downfalls, the reality is that we're only just starting to discover how small we are.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
I'm also a big fan of alternate dimension.

We have zero understanding of time

I also don't believe death is the end, all life is based on energy that circulates through synapses, the "soul" to some, I don't believe that energy just evaporates on death, I fully believe it just gravitates to the nearest available circuit, weather that's back into the earth, or a part of another dimension.

On that front, there's been new research into energy signatures in plants when threatened with fire, they literally freak out. Our assumption that plant matter is not intelligent has to be vastly floored, they're so intelligent in how they grow towards light and propagate.

We think we're all knowing as humans, it's one of our biggest downfalls, the reality is that we're only just starting to discover how small we are.

death has also interested homer, it really interests that someone could live up to depending on luck, lifestyle and genes 100 - 120 yrs max, then pass and there potentially nothing. Could that be or is there something else possible, just seems improbable that all that life experience over decades just disappears.

im guessing @SpyderTracks energy will come back as a vinyl record.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Always answers me that we think that intelligent life must be oxygen breathing to exist, just because humans can't live on the millions of other planets out there doesn't mean that a life form as or more intelligent than humans can't

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Always answers me that we think that intelligent life must be oxygen breathing to exist, just because humans can't live on the millions of other planets out there doesn't mean that a life form as or more intelligent than humans can't
100%, and we're obsessed with carbon based as it's all we can cognitively understand, but due to different climates on other planets, I can't see why there can't be other based lifeforms.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

there has to be life on other planets, seems statistically unlikely that out of the billions of galaxies, planets and stars, many of which humans have not seen or discovered, that we are the only ones on earth, must be more life forms somewhere, has to be.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster

The holographic principle is a property of string theories and a supposed property of quantum gravity that states that the description of a volume of space can be thought of as encoded on a lower-dimensional boundary to the region — such as a light-like boundary like a gravitational horizon.[1][2] First proposed by Gerard 't Hooft, it was given a precise string theoretic interpretation by Leonard Susskind,[3] who combined his ideas with previous ones of 't Hooft and Charles Thorn.[3][4] Leonard Susskind said, “The three-dimensional world of ordinary experience––the universe filled with galaxies, stars, planets, houses, boulders, and people––is a hologram, an image of reality coded on a distant two-dimensional surface."[5] As pointed out by Raphael Bousso,[6] Thorn observed in 1978 that string theory admits a lower-dimensional description in which gravity emerges from it in what would now be called a holographic way. The prime example of holography is the AdS/CFT correspondence.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
there has to be life on other planets, seems statistically unlikely that out of the billions of galaxies, planets and stars, many of which humans have not seen or discovered, that we are the only ones on earth, must be more life forms somewhere, has to be.
Exactly, so why couldn't they have come to earth 1000's of years ago, done their bit and buggered off back home, look at all the religions that say their deity's ascended back to the heavens in a bright light

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Exactly, so why couldn't they have come to earth 1000's of years ago, done their bit and buggered off back home, look at all the religions that say their deity's ascended back to the heavens in a bright light

imagine if there is some form of super intelligent life that has taken one look at us as species and thought "na, we are good thanks" :LOL:

homers view would be there is life somewhere else in the universe but that it does not have the means or understanding of earth and therefore is oblivious of us as its say millions/billions years away. Im not convinced of life on mars, not saying there isnt, just not convinced as yet.

imagine if we as humans are the only ones that exist as intelligent life in the whole universe? the question is why is that? why would that be, that would be like 1 trillion - 1 or more in betting odds.

There is a theory that a form of the super intelligent life is simulating earth and everyone within it to see how civilisations progress and then collapse.

steaky360

If you've not heard of this, Fermi Paradox suggests several hypothesis as to why there may be no advanced life elsewhere in the universe.

I'm a big fan of Kurgesagt videos here is a couple on Fermi Paradox;

There's loads of this stuff, it fascinates me that for any purpose we might imagine, the universe is infinite, yet (at least in some theories) its finite in size yet is so large there are vast expanses that are so far away from us we will never be able to see them (let alone reach them) - anything outside of the observable universe.

Makes me wish (sorta) that I'd gotten into Astronomy.

robin h 25

This is a video I watched a long time ago which was quite interesting and an eye opener.

I'd like to think that there's life out there somewhere in the universe, as for them seeking us out or for us to seek them out, I can't help but think of the ending from the War of the Worlds movie, narrated by Morgan Freeman has to have some sort relevance when it comes to us one day visiting another earth like planet or having visitors come to earth...

There's a statement I somewhat remember but can't recall who said it...
There are two equally terrifying facts to come about the universe we live in,
1. The day we find out, that we are truly alone in the universe or
2. The day we find out, that we are not alone.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster