Spec Check - Gaming/Multimedia

Sivis

Howdy all - quick shoutout to MoosEh for sorting the email verification issue earlier, hopefully it wasn't widespread :)

Now down to business, PCS seems to be very highly regarded on multiple review sites, on top of a few friends here in the UK who've bought from them (as well as the reviews within the site and here on the forums).

With that in mind I've decided that my 3yr old Alienware M15x Laptop needs a slight upgrade. I usually stick with laptops due to pure ease of use (I don't move them, yielding mroe space etc) but I feel its time I got back to desktops, saving me money in the long run should anything need upgrading/replacing.

My current laptop is as follows :

• Alienware M15x
  • Windows 7 64 - SP.1
  • Intel I7 Q720 1.6GHz
  • 8GB RAM
  • Nvidia 1GB GTX260m
  • Built in Wireless (Intel Wifi Link 5300 AGN)

I'm thinking of the following spec, with the following in mind :

• Heavy duty MMORPG gaming, minimum of 10+ hours per day.
  • With the above in mind, I've also opted to get rid of my BT internet (really bad 6MB copper wire line, built in the stone age with the pathetic connection rate to match) and get Virgin 30MB fibire optics in Q1-Q2 2014 (when the contract draws to a close) so wireless is a big thing for me, cables aren't viable, must have a great wireless card.
  • I use Photoshop, alot, sometimes during gaming sessions (queues are a bore I'm sure you can agree). Aswell as the usual Skype/additional programs all at once - multitasking I guess would categorise it better.
  • General future proofing, at least for the next 3+ years. Bare in mind anything over the 3series GPU's are an immense upgrade to me, with what I've had before.
  • Overclocking isn't something I'm interested in either tbh, but cooling I am a big fan of (pun intended lol..) hence the H80i. The last desktop I had (cyberpower, 4 years ago) managed to melt 2 GPU's and 1 mobo, hence my reluctance for desktops since (2 alienware laptops since, lots of money spent to which I do regret, but they sure do look nice..)
  • I understand why people use SSD's alot, but I honestly don't need Windows to boot as mega fast and such. Sure Photoshop and Windows loading fast would be great, but for the extra costs and minimal changes for gaming that SSD's provide, I'm not convinced its necessary, thus 1 HDD should suffice; however I am always open to suggestions hence this post :)

The Spec :

• Case: COOLERMASTER HAF 912 PLUS MID TOWER GAMING CASE
  • CPU (CPU): Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4670 (3.4GHz) 6MB Cache
  • Mobo: ASUS® Z87-A: ATX, USB2.0, USB3.0, SATA6GB/S, SLi, XFIRE
  • RAM: 16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 8GB KIT)
  • GPU: 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
  • HDD: 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
  • DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
  • Memory Card Reader: INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
  • Power Supply: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ MODULAR TXM-650 V2-80 PLUS®
  • Processor Cooling: Corsair H80i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
  • Extra Case Fans: 2 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
  • Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
  • Wireless/Wired Networking: WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD
  • OS: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
  • Keyboard & Mouse: Cyborg V.5 Gaming Keyboard with Illuminated Keys
  • Mouse: CM Storm Xornet Gaming Mouse
  • Gaming Mouse Pad: Corsair Vengeance® MM200 Gaming Mouse Mat Standard Edition
  • Speakers: LOGITECH S120 2.0 BLACK SPEAKER SYSTEM
  • Warranty: 3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
  • Data Recovery: 1 x Hard Drive Data Recovery Service - Protect 1 Hard Drive Against Failure
  • Delivery: PCS EXTRA-CARE DIAMOND DELIVERY - MON-FRI, PRE-NOON
  • Build Time: Standard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
  • Total Cost: £1,312.00

Budget is in the £1k - £1500 area, although less would be better.

The speakers in the above spec aren't super, but they will suffice. I don't need the best sound in the world and having been on laptops for so long with cooling tray fans blaring out noise, on top of HDD sounds -and- the laptops own fans, hearing any sound has to be great, right? I've opted for Win7 as I personally think its MS's best OS to date, bar the issue with thumbnails resetting and having to be reloaded...alot; the Win8 issues surrounding gaming and it being more for mobile/touchscreen systems pushes me to Win7 regardless. Roll on Win9 with the same stuff as Win7, less UAC related rubbish, less thumbnail issues and some general fixes!

I would have opted for the 5 day fastrack as that'd be brilliant, however the GFX card chosen came with a message regarding delivery times etc (making it not viable). Its a point I'd like to bring up really as well, I checked a few sites for the 770 4GB vs the 780 and found the difference between both, I technically wouldn't really notice for a good while yet, so the cheaper option sounded far superior.

A monitor wasn't added due to me already having one from my last desktop, still in the box collecting dust, pretty prsitine condition too. (Philips 230C1HSB 23" Full HD LCD Monitor 1920x1080 12000:1 (Dynamic) 300cd/m2 2ms VGA/DVI-D/HDMI/USB Multimedia Glossy Black, bought from ebuyer years ago, direct copy/paste from their order history).

Again I am open to suggested changes to the above. I should reiterate however about the importance of wireless and what I need the system for. That being MMORPG gaming everyday (yes I am addicted heh) hence the GTX770 4GB and my emphasis on wireless as cables are not an option in this house :)

Any help is appreciated and I look forward to any and all feedback.
- Ian

Last edited:

Rakk

The Awesome
With the above in mind, I've also opted to get rid of my BT internet (really bad 6MB copper wire line, built in the stone age with the pathetic connection rate to match) and get Virgin 30MB fibire optics in Q1-Q2 2014 (when the contract draws to a close) so wireless is a big thing for me, cables aren't viable, must have a great wireless card.

---

and my emphasis on wireless as cables are not an option in this house
You might want to consider homeplugs instead - you basically have one by the router (and connect it to you router with an ethernet cable) and plug it into a plug socket, one by the PC (and connect it to your PC) and plug into a plug socket, and they use your house wiring as a network, so it basically counts as wired but you don't end up with cables all over the house.
As a fellow MMO player, wired connections are the best and homeplugs is pretty much a wired connection

keynes

Multiverse Poster
You won't notice the difference between the 2gb and 4gb version of the gtx 770 when gaming in 1 screen. An SSD is going to be beneficial for Photoshop not only loading but as a scratch disk. The triple copper heatpipe is better than the standard intel cooler and won't melt anything in your system :) the h80i is unnecessary if you are not overclocking.

Sivis

You might want to consider homeplugs instead - you basically have one by the router (and connect it to you router with an ethernet cable) and plug it into a plug socket, one by the PC (and connect it to your PC) and plug into a plug socket, and they use your house wiring as a network, so it basically counts as wired but you don't end up with cables all over the house.
As a fellow MMO player, wired connections are the best and homeplugs is pretty much a wired connection

Ta both. Rakk do you have any suggestions for plug pairs? I've seen a whole host on amazon but as per usual most reviews are mixed or for different versions etc :)

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Ta both. Rakk do you have any suggestions for plug pairs? I've seen a whole host on amazon but as per usual most reviews are mixed or for different versions etc :)
The homeplugs sold by PCS are pretty good,and reasonably priced at £38 for the pair.

Rakk

The Awesome
I'm slightly confused by some saying wireless N and others only ethernet however.
Some do have wireless capability - they tend to be more expensive though, personally if I was using homeplugs I wouldn't bother with the wireless ones cos it'd be getting them so I didn't need to use wireless.

This diagram shows roughly how it works (ignore the id's on them, its cos I grabbed the picture and it was obviously showing a specific homeplug type, but they should all work the same):
dig3homeplug_with_wireless_router.jpg

As vanthus said, you can order a pair of homeplugs from PCS when you order your machine to make it easier :)

Last edited:

Sivis

This diagram shows roughly how it works (ignore the id's on them, its cos I grabbed the picture and it was obviously showing a specific homeplug type, but they should all work the same):
View attachment 4234

As vanthus said, you can order a pair of homeplugs from PCS when you order your machine to make it easier :)
Ok brilliant ta both :)

Cliffnotes version, you get the pair. Link 1 to your hub/router with the ethernet cable, press whatever is needed. Run to the new spangly PC, plug in the 2nd, press whatever is needed again. Sorted?

Also, the ordering homeplugs part, is this an option that comes after clicking "proceed with order"? (and are they pass-through?)

Rakk

The Awesome
Also, the ordering homeplugs part, is this an option that comes after clicking "proceed with order"? (and are they pass-through?)
Its in the 'Wireless Router/HomePlugs' bit of the main configurator (ie. before pressing proceed), I dont know whether they are passthrough or not.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You order it on the same page along with everything else under "Wireless Router/Homeplugs" before pressing "proceed".
They are not pass-through though.

Last edited: