Spec check please (part 2)

mikef

As I couldn't get a quote for a build with PCIe SSD, here's what I just ordered (I did listen to the feedback you guys gave me when I posted my earlier spec!)

Please shout now if you see any obvious incompatibilities. Priorities are: cool, quiet, quick, overclock potential

Case - COOLERMASTER SILEO 500 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor - Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-950 (3.06GHz) 4.8GTs/8MB Cache
Motherboard - ASUS® P6X58D PREMIUM: DDR3, USB 3.0 & SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI
Memory - 6GB KINGSTON HYPER-X TRI-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (3 x 2GB KIT)
Graphics Card - 768MB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX460 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11
2nd Graphics Card - NONE
3rd Graphics Card - NONE
1st Hard Disk - 120GB OCZ VERTEX 2 SATA II 2.5" SSD (upto 285MB/sR | 275MB/sW)
2nd Hard Disk - NONE
RAID - NONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive - 10x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive - NONE
Memory Card Reader - INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply & Case Cooling - CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU
Processor Cooling - TITAN FENRIR EVO EXTREME HEATPIPE CPU COOLER
Sound Card - ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities - WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD
USB - 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Modem - NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

cjc1984

Bronze Level Poster
What about storage? You have only selected the 120GB SSD drive in there. You not going to put in a 2nd hard drive?

mikef

At some point I will add a PCIe SSD as primary storage (prob 256GB unless they drop in price from £4k/TB). Storage is not really a concern for this unit, I have boxen on the network with terabytes of capacity.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Looks pretty good I'd go with the 1GB version of the GTX460 but if gaming isn't a priority then it doesn't matter, your CPU won't be covered by the warranty if you overclock so make sure you know what you're doing.

mikef

Yes, it's like with cars. I wait for the 3-year warranty to run out then start with the performance chips and superchargers

Sleinous

Author Level
Id also suggest popping on some new thermal paste whne youre ready to oc, especially if its a while after u originally bought the machine. oc paste preferably.

mikef

What about storage? You have only selected the 120GB SSD drive in there. You not going to put in a 2nd hard drive?
I just noticed on the configuration page that the OCZ Vertex-2 240GB has been added as an option; as my machine is still in pre-production (does that mean ordering the parts from suppliers?), I've ordered the 240GB in place of the 120GB.