Spec Comparison & Customer Service

Nikotine

I'd suggest that they'd want/need to do additional fraud checks because you were ordering with a card registered to one address and then despatching to another. I'm not sure of that though, but it kinda makes sense to me. I'd doubt they can simply request your bank phone you or anything though, its up to your bank to carry out its own fraud checks rather than PCS requesting they do. I think that's separate.

It makes sense to me too but if you can't do them in 3 or 5 working days then I think that's pretty poor customer service. PC World, when I ordered an external hard drive a few months ago in their online sale phoned me when they saw it was 2 different addresses just to clarify what was going on with the order and that was that.

I'm a bit torn now about what to do, as one of the above posters said PC World off the rack doesn't compare to something custom.

steaky360

It makes sense to me too but if you can't do them in 3 or 5 working days then I think that's pretty poor customer service. PC World, when I ordered an external hard drive a few months ago in their online sale phoned me when they saw it was 2 different addresses just to clarify what was going on with the order and that was that.

I'm a bit torn now about what to do, as one of the above posters said PC World off the rack doesn't compare to something custom.

I'd disagree that its poor customer service because it takes a longer time than you would like. Take your example of PC World, PCS are not as big as PC World and don't have the same resources. I don't think its unreasonable that PCS may take longer to carry out the required fraud checks than PC World.

They have only said they can't give you a 3-day fast track service because different addresses (debit card / delivery), no one (I don't think) has said it takes 3 days to carry out the fraud checks, they just won't guarantee you the fast track delivery.

At the end of the day its your choice if you want to order from PCS or buy an off the shelf item (I know that doesn't really help... :)). Personally I'd take the hit and wait for the custom PC, but I'm already a customer of PCS and have experience of their aftersales care etc. Which is very good. I'd rather get the PC/Laptop I want rather than compromise and get something that just happened to be in stock in my local PC World.

Last edited:

SlimCini

KC and the Sunshine BANNED
By money transfers you mean Western Union or something similar? I would assume a debit payment is different

I don't really know... as soon as he starts talking money I switch off:S

Something to do with money that moves between banks and customers and businesses? I don't really know...

Nikotine

I could get it sent to Northern Ireland fast track and have one of my folks send it on to me in Manchester (sounds like a Carry-On film) which would add an extra day or two but that's extra expense for delivery and hassle. They didn't even offer me £10 off for the error/mistake.

I'll give it some thought when I'm less annoyed.

:)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
They didn't even offer me £10 off for the error/mistake.

that is at the discretion of PCS and not something I would expect if there is a mistake. However you could always call them back to inform of the situation and see if they can do anything for you.

Nikotine

I didn't expect it I'm just saying they didn't offer any sort of alternative. Whether it was speeding up the copious fraud checking on this one occasion as the order had already been placed or whatever. I didn't get the feeling that they were that bothered.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't expect it I'm just saying they didn't offer any sort of alternative. Whether it was speeding up the copious fraud checking on this one occasion as the order had already been placed or whatever. I didn't get the feeling that they were that bothered.

I am sorry to hear about your issues with the delivery address, sadly we have to deliver to the invoice address due to the time the machines are built and dispatched in are quicker than the fraud checks, this is to cover both parties involved. As bad as this sounds, If we made an exception this time then where would we draw the line in the future?

Nikotine

I am sorry to hear about your issues with the delivery address, sadly we have to deliver to the invoice address due to the time the machines are built and dispatched in are quicker than the fraud checks, this is to cover both parties involved. As bad as this sounds, If we made an exception this time then where would we draw the line in the future?

I don't care where the line is drawn in the future. Not every case is the same and that's why robust customer service is usually a good idea. I called ahead before placing my order to explain and was told categorically that it wouldn't be a problem due to Verified by Visa. That turned out to be completely wrong.

I was talking to a mate last night about it and he said he's ordered from somewhere called Laptops Direct and they asked some electoral roll security questions when the computer was going to his uni address and it was sorted on the spot. But from looking at their website they just offer the same PC World stuff.

You seem to represent the company somehow, can you please clarify for future reference how long security checks take? That might be useful to others in the future.

bigben

Master Poster
Hmm, I don't really get that... why would where it was being delivered impact on how quickly PCS made a machine? Why would they care where it was being shipped? Odd.

Anybody who pays for something over the phone or online is able to "chargeback" (I think for up to 30 days but it may be longer) by saying that their card is lost or stolen and that they didn't place that order. At my work we won't take card over the phone unless the goods are being delivered to the same address that the card is registered to. If somebody does a chargeback we would lose all the money, and as it would have been delivered elsewhere we would also lose the goods.

Unfortunately that's the same as everywhere - usually takes 3 days or so for a refund which, yes, is ridiculous given that they will take it from you instantly!

But the retailer usually won't get hold of the money for at least 2 weeks. We don't at my work. I guess the card machine companies hold on to your money for a little while.

Nikotine

Anybody who pays for something over the phone or online is able to "chargeback" (I think for up to 30 days but it may be longer) by saying that their card is lost or stolen and that they didn't place that order. At my work we won't take card over the phone unless the goods are being delivered to the same address that the card is registered to. If somebody does a chargeback we would lose all the money, and as it would have been delivered elsewhere we would also lose the goods.

Then why don't all companies wait 30+ days before shipping goods? PCS computers usually ship within that time, they should make it longer in that case.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Then why don't all companies wait 30+ days before shipping goods? PCS computers usually ship within that time, they should make it longer in that case.
it might depend on the cost of each item. Every retailer I have dealt with will take around 3 to 5 working days (including PCS).

PaulH

Bright Spark
Big Ben is right, although we do the checks the same day (the ones we can), at the latest the morning after, on a 3 or 5 day fast track, or on prebuilt machines and finance orders we would have already delivered the goods by the time the bank had contacted us and retrieved the money, leaving us without a PC and also the payment, people who steal card numbers etc use flaws in security like this to get away with it.

We aren't doing this to annoy you, or to be mean, its about being stung before and its certainly not happening again (and i know the person who told you how to "get around" this - and he will be disciplined.

Nikotine

Big Ben is right, although we do the checks the same day (the ones we can), at the latest the morning after, on a 3 or 5 day fast track, or on prebuilt machines and finance orders we would have already delivered the goods by the time the bank had contacted us and retrieved the money, leaving us without a PC and also the payment, people who steal card numbers etc use flaws in security like this to get away with it.

We aren't doing this to annoy you, or to be mean, its about being stung before and its certainly not happening again (and i know the person who told you how to "get around" this - and he will be disciplined.

Well it's probably best you tell your customers that then before they have the money taken out of their accounts after being misled.

As far as I was concerned he was just helping a customer. Not many fraudsters call beforehand to clarify and then make 13 forum posts about the fact.

Last edited:

PaulH

Bright Spark
Well it's probably best you tell your customers that then before they have the money taken out of their accounts after being misled. I need to check the dictionary for a definition of fraud.

I agree, apologies, as stated in my previous message the person who did it will be disciplined.

Nikotine

I agree, apologies, as stated in my previous message the person who did it will be disciplined.

Yes of course he will.

It's nice to know that all the talk of 'security checks take too long' was nonsense, as you've just pointed out they're done the next day and it has nothing to do with security checks at all but is about chargebacks.

God I love transparency.

PaulH

Bright Spark
They do, they do take too long, and the reason is simple, to stop fraud, the checks we run are done rather quickly compared to a lot of places, sadly we are also limited by exterior factors.

I'm not here to argue with you just to simply give you the truth, someone gave you the wrong information, caused an outburst in a public place and Im trying to rectify that, the person who gave that information is in the wrong and will be disciplined.

Last edited:

Nikotine

Are positive forum posts also considered to be 'outbursts'?

As far as I was concerned I was just relaying my experience, if that's not convenient for you or you'd rather real, albeit negative, forum posts are stopped then I'm happy to stop posting. Just let me know.

keynes

Multiverse Poster

As far as I was concerned I was just relaying my experience, if that's not convenient for you or you'd rather real, albeit negative, forum posts are stopped then I'm happy to stop posting. Just let me know.

To me it looks like a mistake was made and an apology was given. Some of your comments seem sarcastic even if not intended, at least a clarification was given.

PaulH

Bright Spark
As far as I was concerned he was just helping a customer. Not many fraudsters call beforehand to clarify and then make 13 forum posts about the fact.

No he wasn't, he was giving the incorrect information to cause you to complain, and you wouldn't believe what we have had from fraudsters - its a lot more than calling us up.

Not stopping you posting at all, I'm am trying to explain that you were given the wrong information in the first instance, causing this thread to be enlarged, because of the incorrect information you were inconvenienced when the correct reason and procedure was given to you, now that information has been given you are trying to make out that we are being unreasonable - we genuinely aren't, we simply cannot do what you expect or want us to do.