Spec for animation

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hi again guys, well after an unavoidable delay he agreed spec and has the cash together (with a little help) to proceed but it seems neither the cooler master TD500 or Corsair 5000x cases as suggested aren't available at the moment. Could you recommend an alternative great (thats good for keeping cool) case that suits roughly the above spec (as per JUNIORS i7 post). If its £30-50 more so be it at this stage. Thanks again.
Heya! All the good cases seem to be disappearing!

PCS doesn't seem to have many great cases left. I'm not a huge fan of the K500, a H150i would need to be front mointed in that case, leaving the top fan doing basically nothing from the design of the front panel. I'm not sure what GPU you ended up deciding on, but I think I'd still champion the 4000D with the front mounted H150i if you went 60TI or 70.

(This is assuming you'd rather avoid sending in a case, in which case (no pun intended) you have a number of options)

Last edited:

soporsche

Thanks Junior, someone suggested the COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB540 ARGB GAMING CASE as it supports 360 top mounted and thought it would suit the build. Its a few ££ more but if its a decent option with good airflow, what do you think? Otherwise may well revert to your original suggestion 🙂
Took your advice and went for 3060ti GPU in the end 👍

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks Junior, someone suggested the COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX MB540 ARGB GAMING CASE as it supports 360 top mounted and thought it would suit the build. Its a few ££ more but if its a decent option with good airflow, what do you think? Otherwise may well revert to your original suggestion 🙂
Took your advice and went for 3060ti GPU in the end 👍
The MB540 may support a top mounted 360mm AIO but it's a pretty bad case in other aspects. The airflow gaps you see in the front panel actually lead to... the front panel (they don't actually get into the system) so its really a pretty poor option for airflow. You can't help some companies 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

soporsche

Thanks again junior, having looked at the reviews the MB540 is dropped. Hes now thinking of dropping the RGB element and going for the Corsair 5000D Airflow, bit more expensive but the reviews look pretty good. Who would have thought a case would be so troublesome but PCS seem a bit limited at the moment.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks again junior, having looked at the reviews the MB540 is dropped. Hes now thinking of dropping the RGB element and going for the Corsair 5000D Airflow, bit more expensive but the reviews look pretty good. Who would have thought a case would be so troublesome but PCS seem a bit limited at the moment.
Approve of the 5000D Airflow, a very solid case! And indeed, it seems PCS is losing all of their good choices, hopefully they'll get stock of them back in at some point 🙏

soporsche

Final spec I think (bases on requirements and availability) thanks for all your help.
Case
CORSAIR 5000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700K (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 Ti - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
1st Storage Drive
4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™

RichLan564

Bright Spark
Fair warning mate Iron Wolfs are designed for server racks and are very loud
It's fair to warn that the Barracudas appear to have some sort of weirdness with them too, this sort of nonsense when idle, will swap mine out for SSD when i get chance as it drives me mad!

soporsche

Thanks for the warning, he wanted some decent storage space for old projects so added the 4tb IronWolf to supplement the pcle 500 for Operating System and 1TB for current projects. Seemed a good price/performance balance where speed not key, would the Barracudas be better or stump up the extra for SSD.
We've already blown the budget by +£250, dont want to compromise it now with a dodgy component 😉

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the warning, he wanted some decent storage space for old projects so added the 4tb IronWolf to supplement the pcle 500 for Operating System and 1TB for current projects. Seemed a good price/performance balance where speed not key, would the Barracudas be better or stump up the extra for SSD.
We've already blown the budget by +£250, dont want to compromise it now with a dodgy component 😉
Iron Wolf drives are not dodgy in fact they are probably premium in terms of performance, size and cost. They also have great write endurance so last aaaaages. Like I said though they were always geared towards server racks so noise levels wasn't much of consideration

My experience with them is they tend to be quite loud for a HDD especially when compared to a Barracuda but they offer fantastic performance and longevity

I personally wouldn't put one in a machine that's right next to me

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
If I'm doing the maths right, you could go for the 3TB option in the Braccuda section, 3TB is still tonnes, it'll cut down on noise and it saves you about £50 over a 4TB IronWolf

RichLan564

Bright Spark
If I'm doing the maths right, you could go for the 3TB option in the Braccuda section, 3TB is still tonnes, it'll cut down on noise and it saves you about £50 over a 4TB IronWolf
3TB Barracuda is 5400rpm though isn't it? Not that it matters for bulk storage. The 2TB is cheaper still and 7200rpm

soporsche

As always, great input. I've learnt more in the past few weeks from this forum about PC specs and performance than I have in many years using the things 👍

Bigfoot

Grand Master
3TB is 7200RPM, 4TB Barracuda is 5400RPM.

Looking at it, having 2X 2TB Barracudas actually works out cheaper than a single 4TB ironwolf by about £25 (but is about £20 more than a single 3TB)
2 x 2TB Barracudas is what I went for in my build for slow storage. I only hear them if I am accessing files from them and they aren't particularly loud. I also have M.2 drives and a SATA SSD for faster storage

soporsche

Finally, order placed and paid, confirmation received.
Thanks for all your help, comments and suggestions.
Went with basically the above spec but with
pcle's for op system and then another for current projects, Barracudas for the additional storage in the end. Looked at just adding another SSD instead of HDDs but sense prevailed as we kept on just pushing bits of spec up here and there and budget kept creeping up and up (sure you've all been there).

In the end very happy with the set up, was worth a few more £s and sure it will keep him going for a good few years. Thank you all again.