SSD just for games?

JSG10

Expert
Hi guys,

I'm quite happy with my boot speed at the moment and am never in that much of a rush to load the PC anyway :) What is starting to bug me is some loading times for games, especially SW:TOR, some of it is ridiculous, I'm hoping this is simply because it's not very well optimised yet and is still full of bugs. Anyway, I was wondering if you can just have an SSD as a gaming drive rather than boot drive? So could I install all my games on it and have them running from that but keep OS on my HDD? This'll save me having to mess around moving a lot of files, reinstalling OS, deleting old OS etc

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
so you want to buy an SSD just for games, what size are you interested in? even just a 3gb/s would be a huge improvement over HDD speeds

Fear

Prolific Poster
You should have no problems using an SSD drive as a second or third or any other extra drive as thats all they all are storage drives same as HDD's, unless your getting yourself a pretty large drive enough so you are not constantly removing your games and putting new ones on i would just stick with a cheaper and larger performance HDD have you not thought of upgrading your caviar green to a black drive as you will get a speed boost with that.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
with the price of hdd's nowdays i'd go for a mid range 60gb ssd can pick one up for less than 100 quid.

JSG10

Expert
Thanks for all your input guys :)

Tom, yes thinking that might be the way I go, a smaller SDD, around 60 or 80GB for my "core" games.

Fear, I think, may be wrong, but the only difference between the Green and the Black is that the Green spins down when not in use, so once you're actually accessing it, they're the same speed so it wouldn't really be much of an upgrade. Plus as stated, I don't want to replace my HDD as I can't be doing with faffing around moving everything over.

bg92

Expert
I think that the caviar green is 5400rpm, not 7200rpm. A 60/80gb ssd would be the best choice for you.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I think corsair have some good 60gb models, maybe ask pcs to source one for you?

avoid ocz drives, they are cheap but i've had two die on me lol.

corsair ssd link

Last edited:

Fear

Prolific Poster
Yeah the green are supposed to spin down but they are stated at running between 5400-7200 rpm but tbh last time i looked at a review between a black and green drive of the same size i doubt the green was even making 6200 rpm.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
ive had a look at the kingston 64GB drives on amazon and arent too expensive the 6GB/s one is actually cheaper

or you could get a 40GB but looking at the prices they are the same as the 64GB ones