Star Wars: The Old Republic

MeveM

Bright Spark
Anyone else really excited about this? The graphics don't look overly impressive at first glance, but they've improved massively since info was first released about it.

It's designed with medium specced PC's in mind, whilst still catering for the top specced ones.

I quite like the graphics, as the more "realistic" graphiced MMO's tend to have very stiff movements etc.
Looks great imo.

Very excited how BioWare and EA are treating it as well. EA will be limiting the amount of copies sold for example. They do not want to overload the servers or launch, so they'll make sure they only sell enough that the servers can handle, and if there's more interest they'll release more once they have made sure the server loads can be increased whilst keeping it stable etc.

This shows that they want to make sure the experience for the players comes before their own economy. Which to be fair, ultimately leads to a better economy for them, or so I believe.

But as if it's not enough that it's BioWare making it? Well it's a fully voiced MMO. Every single quest line etc is voiced, and so are your characters.
What does this do? It gets people involved. Ever played WoW, or any other MMO? Well how often did you read quests? Or did you just look at the quick log on the right saying "Kill 10 hamsters and collect their bollocks" (Which btw, only every 4th hamster have a bollock, and only every 8th have two.).

Since it's voiced, you'll get involved.

You can also have companions, yes that's right, like in Dragon Age, Mass Effect etc. Your own personal NPC's.

Do you hate gathering and crafting stuff for professions? But your guild leader needs you to because it gives you extra points in whatever skill? Well, in SWTOR you can ask your companions to do all that boring stuff for you. Yep, that's right, you can even tell them to go away and collect specific material whilst you yourself enjoy yourself in a dungeon or PvP combat, or anything else you WANT to do, instead of doing something you NEED to do.

There's so much great about this game, and so little bad.
Just love it how they've not even released a release date, why? Well the main dev himself has said it's basically to prevent other MMO giants like WoW to throw out a big patch / Expansion pack right on their release date. Why? Look what happened to Warhammer, Wrath of the Lich King. AoC? A big patch with new game content. Those are just a few examples.

Yes they're in closed beta now, so you can speculate what release date it is, most say around November this year, but the point is, other companies won't be able to tell early enough to get something out to prevent people from moving.

Everything about how they're handling this game is screaming awesomesauce.
I know Star Wars has a massive nerd stamp on it, but I don't care, the concent is great whether you want to be classed a nerd or not, and the gameplay looks great.

I'm definitely going to play both SWTOR with a subscription, and GW2 without the subscription. I've even pre-ordered the £130 collectors edition of SWTOR, twice. £260 for myself and my partner.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Bioware have yet to let me down (DA2 wasnt that bad!), so am very much looking forward to ToR.

Having played numerous MMOs, and seen the attempts at using the SW Universe before, I am confident Bioware can deliver a great game.

I don't see that this needs to compete with WoW, as it could technically be seen as a different market (ish) (i.e. space/lazers/Wookies). But more importantly, I can see ALOT of people playing both. Noone ever said you can only play 1 MMO at a time :)

It might end up with 1 server and 1000 people and I would still play it, because whatever its commercial success, it'll be on my PC regardless :D

(£260! Jo you lunatic!)

MeveM

Bright Spark
Well the £130 each, had a long conversation with my girlfriend about it, we think we'd regret it if we didn't because you get a in-game shop, with unknown items, all we know is that it'll mostly be cosmetic stuff, but it's said to have items added throughout SWTOR's excistence. Meaning 2 years down the line, Collectors Edition owners will still be getting stuff.

It's a bit of a risk, but we think it's worth it.

As for success, EA's already stated that it'll be a success even with 500.000 subscribers. Meaning even if it's just a small player base, they'll still add things, and not just give up like other failed MMO's.
Then again, A BioWare game, with EA's economy backing it up? How can it possibly fail?

But ye, as you said, it's a sci-fi game with a fantasy mix in there. So it'll appeal to sci-fi fans and fantasy fans both.

Last edited:

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
If ever there was one to do so with, it'd be this :D

You could also give Guild Wars 2 a go...no Sub so buy it, play it, dont like it? ah well :D

MadMan

Super Star
yeah thanks will do as soon as I buy my rig but just waiting a bit longer till I start uni and bulldozer comes out :/

truegrace

Enthusiast
I'm gonna be playing both, gonna invest in a laptop in the new year as I can't get in my desktop much (missus etc)

Can't wait :)

Gishank

Bright Spark
I've had the collectors edition pre-ordered for a while. I'm trying to keep myself from spending the money I have reserved for it, but sadly the lack of adequate information being put out by Bioware doesn't help. The 'friday updates' just seem to be recycled news/content.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
I used to play SWG about 5 years ago and it was an amazing game and ran super smooth on my old laptop. :)

I may get SWTOR but it depends if I can get a better PC to run it! :)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
I used to play SWG about 5 years ago and it was an amazing game and ran super smooth on my old laptop. :)

I may get SWTOR but it depends if I can get a better PC to run it! :)

If you played SWG...and actually liked it...then I think ToR may just be the best game you've ever played :D

MeveM

Bright Spark
Any idea what type of server you're going on DED?
I always go to RP servers in MMO's because they tend to have a more mature playerbase, and in general, the average age of the players is quite a lot higher.

Personally I don't RP, I just prefer the playerbase and the community better on those servers, and there's a lot less leet speak.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Not sure yet tbh, not given it a lot of thought :) I do take your point, but will have to wait and see exactly what type of servers are on offer :D

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Sitting watching a 600 capacity ship being checked in/boarded in the rain and fog...not a lot else to do atm :D

MeveM

Bright Spark
Sounds a hell of a lot more fun then me having to cover for people who are off sick, answering the phones for winching NHS patients. Moan moan, groan groan. Get you in a great mood for the weekend! :p

Barnaby89

I'd love to play this, if you get a good bunch of people on there it will be even more awesome :)

Though personally, I just don't have the time anymore :(

Was sucked into WoW from 2005 and loved the community aspect. Had great friends and guild on there which kept me there longer than otherwise I guess.

JamesMLB

Enthusiast
If you played SWG...and actually liked it...then I think ToR may just be the best game you've ever played :D

It may well possibly be!

Will ToR have erm, what did we used to call it, the thing where you had to go kill high level things to get like loaads of xp like out of SWG!