Steam Refunds

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
so after stealing tom's wifi whilst sitting in his garden between the shed and what appears to be a large doll of

[video=youtube;DTXO7KGHtjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

i found this

GJ7Qf.png

apparently it works for some people, whilst others get a message along these lines

The regulations you are citing do not apply to digital distribution subscriptions, electronic games, or downloadable content.

Again, as a one-time customer service gesture we can issue you store credit for the amount of your purchase into your Steam Wallet. The credit will also remove the title or item from your account.

though apparently
paramonos said:
In the UK the Sales of Goods Law is statute and as such cannot be overridden by 'agreements' as they are in the US. So as I said before, if you bought this in the UK then if the game is not 'fit for purpose' you should be able to demand a refund (or demand that the game be fixed) under the Sale of Goods Act.

Last edited:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
think ill reopen my ticket on my hitman games, maybe get my money back for a few others i dont like :p

Rakk

The Awesome
think ill reopen my ticket on my hitman games, maybe get my money back for a few others i dont like :p

Though I think you'll only get them to refund it if you bought it less than 7 working days before you open the ticket, so it's not a way just to get rid of now unwanted games that you've had for some time, even if you didn't play them cos you didn't like them.
And obviously they may not refund it anyway .

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Though I think you'll only get them to refund it if you bought it less than 7 working days before you open the ticket, so it's not a way just to get rid of now unwanted games that you've had for some time, even if you didn't play them cos you didn't like them.
And obviously they may not refund it anyway .

well i have not been able to play hitman, if they worked i wouldnt be too bothered and would probably enjoy them i paid for 3 games and none of them work

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
As Rakk says, the only backup you have is the Distance Selling laws, and they only apply within 7 days of purchase. Its really not worth the bother Wozza, because you won't get anything out it...and you'll still have the Hitman games in your library :D

Tracker

Enthusiast
In the UK the Sales of Goods Law is statute and as such cannot be overridden by 'agreements' as they are in the US. So as I said before, if you bought this in the UK then if the game is not 'fit for purpose' you should be able to demand a refund (or demand that the game be fixed) under the Sale of Goods Act.

The issue here is that the game is technically fit for purpose if it works, something not fit for purpose is a game that doesn't run, or is different from what is described/advertised, so Steam aren't technically oblieged to refund on a game that you just don't like, however everything else does stand.. EULA's and T&C's don't override everything in the UK the way that they can ( but not always do) in the U.S and other countries.

Gorman

Author Level
so after stealing tom's wifi whilst sitting in his garden between the shed and what appears to be a large doll of

[video=youtube;DTXO7KGHtjI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTXO7KGHtjI&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Sales of goods act and distance selling regs have specific exceptions one of them being digital distributed material, also underwear and sex toys to name but a few.

But lets get to the important part of this thread, what the hell is that? is that a hologram on stage?

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
So i tried to get rid of arma 2

Thank you for contacting Steam Support.

The regulations you are citing do not apply to digital distribution subscriptions, electronic games, or downloadable content.

As with most software products, we do not offer refunds or exchanges on games, DLC or in-game items purchased on our website or through the Steam Client.

Please review Section 4 of the Steam Subscriber Agreement for more information.
http://www.steampowered.com/index.php?area=subscriber_agreement

We will make an exception and refund preorders as long as the request is received prior to the release of the game. This only applies to preorders purchased from your account, preordered titles received or sent through the Steam Trading system cannot be refunded.

Technical support for this title is handled by a third party support department - please follow the instructions below to contact the support provider to troubleshoot this issue:

Title: ArmA II series
Link: http://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7614-RUPL-1145

For additional assistance, please visit our forums, found here:

http://forums.steampowered.com

Androcles

Rising Star
They are correct, the distance selling laws do not apply to digital products (they also don't apply to underwear, and various health & beauty products for hygiene reasons), and the only time they must refund is if the product is not fit for use, this does not mean because you don't like it, it means if it does not work as designed. S of you get a refund then great, but don't expect one.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
They are correct, the distance selling laws do not apply to digital products (they also don't apply to underwear, and various health & beauty products for hygiene reasons), and the only time they must refund is if the product is not fit for use, this does not mean because you don't like it, it means if it does not work as designed. S of you get a refund then great, but don't expect one.

What about Battlefield 4 and NFS Rivals still being broken?

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Giving up on BF4?

Yes and NFS Rivals

Update: Was going quite well, but apparently because there were no problem logs i cant get a refund (I try to avoid contact with them) the lady on the phone is supposed to be sending me an email but she seems to be taking her time, if i dont get an email by tomorrow I will be phoning back and will have a more forceful attitude towards it rather than polite like I was today.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
We will never ever get refunds for games. Never.

I did manage to get my money back when I bought warz. Although, that was through paypal and the whole games was blatantly mis-advertised and a giant con!

I'd like steam to let us sell our steam games on the marketplace. No doubt this would mean less sales for steam/valve, but we would get some money back and steam takes a cut. Although, steam would win anyway because the funds from the sale would go into our steam wallet, which is pretty much in their bank account anyway.

D1craig

Enthusiast
well i have not been able to play hitman, if they worked i wouldnt be too bothered and would probably enjoy them i paid for 3 games and none of them work

surely steam would know if you have played the games though, so they should be able to tell you cant play them and give you the money back...

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Thing is, BF4 seems more like a personal preference than "unplayable" surely...have you been able to play? If yes, then not sure any amount of badgering will get a refund ...