Stop Sopa!

LDUK

Master Poster
Please help stop this stupid SOPA bill passing.

[video=youtube;WJIuYgIvKsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJIuYgIvKsc[/video]

Watch and share this video, it's very important!

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
There is one thing I hold dear to my heart and that is this.

The people in power are always the ones with NO idea what the people want, there are always just a few people making decisions that affect the rest of us in a negative way.

everything should be a democracy, majority rule. Who are the idiots making decisions? How do they even get made when NO ONE agrees apart from a couple of old farts in suits with the IQ of a sandwich? (no disrespect to sandwiches).

This is just another example.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
It's just all about money, it's not about protecting anyone, that's a front, that's the sugar coating, it's about lining pockets.

They're trying to stop piracy yet THEY are the crooks, how ironic.

Again people in power, should NOT be in power, we don't need cretins in charge we need average joes who speak to average joes and know what the population want!

Gishank

Bright Spark
That guy is an idiot. Hypocricy in corporations/major businesses is hardly anything new or suprising and his attitude makes him sound a dip. SOPA will most likely pass as America is in the pockets of major business/corporations.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
That guy is an idiot. Hypocricy in corporations/major businesses is hardly anything new or suprising and his attitude makes him sound a dip. SOPA will most likely pass as America is in the pockets of major business/corporations.

He's not an idiot, the point he makes is that the law is this, if you provide tools for piracy and promote them in a way which encourages the use of said tools FOR piracy then you are a criminal,

Look at the video again, it shows how CNET and whatever sites have the search engines so you can find and pirate mp3s from wellknown artists, they are encouraging the use of the tools for piracy, not only do they give you the program they also show you where to find the files.

So they create piracy, then they sue people for it, it's absurd. They are the criminals, yet they are palming off the blame onto average people like you and me, yet they are at the heart of it.

The man in the video's point is that the people who created the piracy should be the ones to blame, and should be the ones who are being sued, not the people who download the file.

Yes pirates, normal people are downloading the files but who encouraged and made it possible for them to download files? The people who supplied the software, therefore they are the criminals, it's about taking things down from the source, not making people look the over way.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
They supply, promote and encourage then sue people for doing what they have told you to do.

it is a very evil way of making millions, and millions they have made.

I ****ing hate this planet, it seriously does suck, it's always the people at the top who benefit from screwing over everyone else, as long as you have your hand in someone's pocket or you're on someone's payroll you can do whatever the hell you want,

They are basically gaining millions from being criminals, that's all it is. They are trying to make out like they are the good guys, but they aren't and I seriously hope they get what for in court, I hope they go to jail and I hope they get killed.

Do people who sue single Mothers for over $1m for doing something which THEY enabled that person to do REALLY deserve a place on this earth?

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
While I don't doubt its shady...if you go on to a site, look for piracy tools etc, and use them, then you are a criminal. It doesnt actually matter if the person that told you about it is a criminal or not, you still are.

I am not saying all this legislation is right or wrong, but irregardless of whether a site gives you the means to search for illegal things, you still did the searching...noone made you do it :)

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
While I don't doubt its shady...if you go on to a site, look for piracy tools etc, and use them, then you are a criminal. It doesnt actually matter if the person that told you about it is a criminal or not, you still are.

I am not saying all this legislation is right or wrong, but irregardless of whether a site gives you the means to search for illegal things, you still did the searching...noone made you do it :)

hmm in the video you can see how they encourage you to pirate, look at the search terms, look at the suggestions, if supplying the files wasn't encouraging enough then what is?

again, like I said, take things out from the source, they supplied, promoted and encouraged, watch the video again.

it's not just giving you the means to search that's not what they did, you aren't breaking the law if you just supply something, but if you promote actions which would lead to copyright infringement then you are at fault and a criminal which is EXACTLY what the sites supplying the programs did.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
And I see +4 rep from just now so SOMEBODY knows what I'm talking about.

it's like this, I put a gun down on the table, I'm supplying it but I'm not giving it to you, do what you want with it, put in a display cabinet that's what I want you to do with it, if you shoot it, you're at fault.

But if I promote the gun by saying how awesome it is, give you a guide on how to use it and suggest other guns to fire, then I am at fault because I supplied and I promoted and in a way which would encourage illegal activity.

That is how sites like CNET and ultimately CBS/Viacom are criminals.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
the word ''suggestions'' on their mp3 search speaks volumes. they ''suggest'' something, meaning ''encourage'' suggesting by putting search terms on their site is promotion enough, the ones who supply the piracy tools are the criminals also, it's not about whether we as consumers are at fault it's about taking things out from the source.

Sure I pirated something but who allowed me to pirate something? Who gave me direct links to mp3s? And who is trying to sue me? THE SAME PEOPLE.

PokerFace

Banned
If someone leaves their window/door unlocked and you walk in and steal their tv (or nice shiny PCS computer), should the police not prosecute you? Are you entitled to steal, just because it's made easy for you?

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
My rep power went up by 49, awesome :)

Opinion and interpretation? Hell no, I posted cold, hard facts. I reiterated what the guy in the video said.

Did you also know that if this bill passes the companies that support SOPA will be exempt from the violations which they have inccured?

Basically they started a load of ish, got millions and millions of $ and now, if the bill passes you won't be able to sue them for the crimes which they have commited.

What a world we live in.

DanteWilhelm

Bright Spark
If someone leaves their window/door unlocked and you walk in and steal their tv (or nice shiny PCS computer), should the police not prosecute you? Are you entitled to steal, just because it's made easy for you?

but if I tell you where the house is, write a guide on how to break into houses and steal things and even give you a getaway car, you shouldn't prosecute me?

The whole point is, promotion and encouragement to violate the law. That is a crime in itself, I'm not saying the person who, for example broke into the house and committed the theft is not culpable, because they are.

But the people who helped, promoted and encouraged are also at fault, but if this bill passes they won't be sued, they won't be sent to jail, they will get away with it.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
But you are missing the point Dante. Noone is actually arguing those people/companies that direct people to the illegal things shouldnt be done too (I mean anyone on here). But the way you put your argument forward, its as if you think those that commit the crime on piracy shouldnt be prosecuted BECAUSE those that supplied the mean are not. That is where your argument falls on its arse, sorry.

And as someone said early on...money talks. Its like you are surprised that big business and corps can get around laws...welcome to the world? :)

Tom DWC

If you supply piracy, you're at fault. If you pirate, you're at fault too. But yes, this bill is an absolute joke.

The internet's still very young, but I just can't see it staying the way it is now in future. And that will be a sad day indeed.

But the time is bound to come where websites with the most £££ are prioritised over others and governments block things to suit their own financial agenda. That's life.

So make the most of it the way it is now. :)

(Don't think it'll ever be regulated fully though - surely that's mission impossible?)

Last edited:

Corfate

Author Level
If you supply piracy, you're at fault. If you pirate, you're at fault too. But yes, this bill is an absolute joke.

The internet's still very young, but I just can't see it staying the way it is now in future. And that will be a sad day indeed.

But the time is bound to come where websites with the most £££ are prioritised over others and governments block things to suit their own financial agenda. That's life.

So make the most of it the way it is now. :)

(Don't think it'll ever be regulated fully though - surely that's mission impossible?)

Im sure if people can hack into the pentagon and other government systems, then people will be able to get through the regulations :p So, yeah, i think it'll be impossible to regulate it 100%.. :)