Strange sound from pc

Sam W

Hi, I recently purchased a pc from PCS, it's all working great, but when I load certain programs/games, there is a screeching sound being made, could someone advise as to what this sound might be, someone has suggested it's coil whine, but i'd like a third opinion :)

Here is a recording of the sound in my dropbox, (sorry for the shaky mic)

>Recording<

The game i was playing while making the recording was Train Simulator 2014

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Specs:
Fractal Design Define R4
Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0
AMD FX-8350
CoolerMaster Seidon 120V
Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB
VTX3D Radeon R9 270X 2GB
Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB
Corsair VS-450

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Sounds like coil whine, sounds pretty bad too. Do you know if its coming from the PSU or GPU?

If its really as loud as it sounds in the clip then I would RMA it.

Sam W

I'm fairly certain it's not the psu, because it only happens when there is any load on the gpu, how would i go about getting a replacement? would I have to return the whole pc, or would pcs send me a new graphics card?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
The noise may still be coming from the psu , coil whine often only happens when you ramp up the load. Its difficult yo hear how loud that noise actually is in real terms however it sounds quite bad.

If its the GPU you can get a new one sent out for you to fit yourself fairly easily. If its the PSU then it is more of a job to fit that and may require a RMA. I would give PCS a call and talk it through. See what they think it is but I'm saying PSU.

They can arrange the RMA on the phone if needed

Sleinous

Author Level
Coil whine from GPU or maybe from PSU, if it's really audible you can usually put in for an RMA